Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 10:34 AM   
 By:   Katie @ SAE   (Member)

Has anyone else ordered the Supe set from Screen Archives Entertainment? I have had an account with them for years, placing quite a few orders with them, with no prior issues, but my order status (which I placed day one) is STILL "PENDING".
I emailed them the other day, asking when they plan on shipping, but never received a reply.
If SAE is seeing this post, please let us know what the story is with our orders. There's folks in the UK that have received theirs, which I gather is from La-La Land directly.
Thanks.

Hi,

We are awaiting our stock from La La Land to arrive to us. This is held up for the pre-order item Archer / Warning Shot to come into stock for them.

Sincerely,

Katie
Screen Archives Entertainment

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 10:46 AM   
 By:   Spence   (Member)

Hi,

We are awaiting our stock from La La Land to arrive to us. This is held up for the pre-order item Archer / Warning Shot to come into stock for them.

Sincerely,

Katie
Screen Archives Entertainment[/endquote

Thank you very much Katie for the update. smile

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 10:50 AM   
 By:   other tallguy   (Member)

I spent a lot of the weekend listening to Superman. I actually started out with the LP presentation. It's funny what I've stayed familiar with and what I'm now used to from the Rhino / Blue Box / Film presentations. The ending of Superfeats with the blast from The Kryptonquake sounds normal. The edit in the middle of Destruction of Krypton sounds weird now. (For the longest time the film version on the Rhino disc sounded weird. Funny, huh?)

For anyone on the fence: It's amazing. Having said that, I think I'm going to make a playlist mixing Rhino / Blue Box / La-La Land and see if when an identical cue comes up if I can actually tell the difference. I'm pretty sure I could.

For me the two biggest differences are how sustained horns sound and what instruments I can now hear. Luthor's Lethal Weapon is one of the ones that sounds the most different and detailed to me. The longer horn notes (like, say, almost all the main title) sound so clear, and so stable. On other, older releases it seems to me there is a kind of drift or warp where the notes don't sound quite in the same place. I always just figured "Hey, it's 30+ year old recordings".

Mike! The cue list is terrific. There's nothing in here where I think "Well, I'll go back in and break up those cues myself later". Thanks for making The Crash Site separate and starting Luthor's Lethal Weapon where is does. (Is that really the original cue title? Or is that a Richard Donner joke? I'll have to look when I get home.)

When I started reading the liner notes I wondered if a multiple page biography of Maestro Williams was really necessary here. I'm still not completely sure but you really did a great one. I don't feel I should be learning new things about Williams from the liner notes of a score I've bought six times. But I did. A lovely presentation all round.

I love how the credits on the page manages to put Nick Redman centered under the "S".

Questions: Why are The Fortress of Solitude and Lex Luthor's Lair labeled "Extended Version"? Is that just to differentiate them from the Album? (I haven't listened to the album version of Fortress in almost 20 years and I haven't listened to Lex Luthor's Lair in over 30.)

Is there any difference between March of the Villains and Love Theme from Superman on disc 2 and 3?

Thanks again to all involved!

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 11:38 AM   
 By:   Mike Matessino   (Member)

Thanks!

"Luthor's Lethal Weapon" is really Williams' original cue title! Separating it from the previous cue seemed to make sense given that there is an alternate of it.

"(Extended Version)" is added to tracks that are principally the same as ones on the original album but are either longer or otherwise more reflective of what's heard in the film. This is an administrative thing. Ditto separating "The Crash Site" (Williams requested title change), which was not on the original album., so that is administrated by WB whereas "Growing Up" is with WMG.

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 12:20 PM   
 By:   John Chambers   (Member)

"Luthor's Lethal Weapon" is really Williams' original cue title! Separating it from the next cue seemed to make sense given that there is alternate.

I really appreciate it when you do this, makes it possible to create a playlist of the full score with the alternates in place of the originals which can often be fascinating. I often play 'The Abyss' this way and I thought 'E.T.' also worked incredibly well when putting the alternates in sequence as originally intended.

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 12:23 PM   
 By:   brightidea1138   (Member)

WOW! WOW! WOW! Listening to this amazing set right now and all I can say is that it is tremendous. Thank you Mike Matessino and everyone at La-La Land for your great work and passion. It's such a great time to be film score fan!

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 4:02 PM   
 By:   JGouse0498   (Member)

Just got this in today's mail and, as others have already said, WOW! This sounds just as clear as a score from 2019, and the brass has never sounded better. Absolutely goosebump-inducing! I'm up to "Luthor's Lethal Weapon" right now and can't wait to hear the rest of it! big grin

Bravo, LLL and Mike Matessino! I'm even more eager for my HARRY POTTER order to ship now! I can only imagine how amazing that'll sound! smile

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 7:29 PM   
 By:   foxmorty   (Member)

Just wanted to quickly check the internet’s on if people have received archer before I contact la la Land. Have I missed anything on it still being hung up?

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 7:59 PM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

Just wanted to quickly check the internet’s on if people have received archer before I contact la la Land. Have I missed anything on it still being hung up?

The shipment wad confiscated by ICE

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 9:08 PM   
 By:   OneBuckFilms   (Member)

I finally got the chance to listen to some of Superman.

I frankly don’t see any way this score could sound better. This release is fantastic in every way, mastering, presentation, everything.

Thanks LLLR.

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 9:20 PM   
 By:   erepel   (Member)

Thanks!

"Luthor's Lethal Weapon" is really Williams' original cue title! Separating it from the previous cue seemed to make sense given that there is an alternate of it.

"(Extended Version)" is added to tracks that are principally the same as ones on the original album but are either longer or otherwise more reflective of what's heard in the film. This is an administrative thing. Ditto separating "The Crash Site" (Williams requested title change), which was not on the original album., so that is administrated by WB whereas "Growing Up" is with WMG.

What was the level of involvement by Mr. Williams with this specific release (at least one cue title change, obviously), and what was his reaction to the discovery of the First Gen tapes?

Posted:   Mar 4, 2019 - 10:05 PM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

Thanks!

What was the level of involvement by Mr. Williams with this specific release (at least one cue title change, obviously), and what was his reaction to the discovery of the First Gen tapes?

JW: No Source Cues Please! big grin

Posted:   Mar 5, 2019 - 12:23 AM   

Fully supportive, thrilled the tapes were found, and as he was resting at home after his illness he sat and listened to the whole thing in November and loved it. I got a few notes about levels, but that's it apart from not liking the title "Baby Makes an Entrance."

Posted:   Mar 5, 2019 - 12:43 AM   
 By:   Graham   (Member)

Fully supportive, thrilled the tapes were found, and as he was resting at home after his illness he sat and listened to the whole thing in November and loved it. I got a few notes about levels, but that's it apart from not liking the title "Baby Makes an Entrance."

I would agree.

Graham

Posted:   Mar 5, 2019 - 4:42 AM   
 By:   chriss   (Member)

Fully supportive, thrilled the tapes were found

If he only would be thrilled about a release of Sugarland Express! I recently watched the movie again and the score is wonderful as usual.

Posted:   Mar 5, 2019 - 9:22 AM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I've been wanting to ask about JW's involvement, too. Thanks!

Posted:   Mar 5, 2019 - 12:01 PM   

Fully supportive, thrilled the tapes were found

If he only would be thrilled about a release of Sugarland Express! I recently watched the movie again and the score is wonderful as usual.

I believe eventually he will concede. I'm not giving up on it. The music is in fine shape.

Posted:   Mar 5, 2019 - 12:13 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Sugarland Express would be great and all, but I’m much more hoping you can get him to give in on The Rare Breed and Story of a Woman!

Yavar

Posted:   Mar 5, 2019 - 1:42 PM   
 By:   other tallguy   (Member)

I wonder if the Main Title on the LP as well as the Concert Arrangement hadn't been based on the original End Title if we / I would be as attached to the film version of the main titles? I mean, it's still my favorite version, but only after it's "fixed", i.e. doesn't have the clumsy edit towards the end and the pitch change. So it's still not really the "film version". (Not that I want anyone to go all Phantom Menace on us here.)

I'm glad it's on the set. I go back and forth between having the "film version" first and the original version first. Either way, I do love that I press "Play" and you get those quite flutes to open. It's a terrific intro.

But I'm totally moving March of the Villains to after Love Theme from Superman and before Prelude and Main Titles (Alternate)! smile. (I understand putting it at the start of a disc.)

Posted:   Mar 5, 2019 - 2:41 PM   
 By:   erepel   (Member)

I am looking forward to a summer presentation of "The Empire Strikes Back" in concert, and I am curious who would be the decision maker to start that process for "Superman"? It seems to me, given the film edits, that restoring portions of the score dialed out would require more than just simply distributing to the orchestra the sheet music used by the LSO in 1978, and I would hope those creative decisions would be made by Mr. Williams.