Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 7, 2023 - 10:43 AM   
 By:   Marko   (Member)

It would be nice to have some update, even though Joe Sikoryak said "We have months to go before the books are in your hands", it's been almost one month since last communication.

Do you know how many YEARS we are waiting for the expanded RAY HARRYHAUSEN'S MASTER OF THE MAJICKS books ?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/any-news-on-ray-harryhausen-master-of-the-majicks--t81475-s20.html

I ordered mine in August 2016. At least there have been some updates posted in the last several months.

I have the original 3 volumes. I’m glad I didn’t re-order the new ones.

Posted:   Nov 7, 2023 - 11:55 AM   
 By:   NO NAME   (Member)

It would be nice to have some update, even though Joe Sikoryak said "We have months to go before the books are in your hands", it's been almost one month since last communication.

Do you know how many YEARS we are waiting for the expanded RAY HARRYHAUSEN'S MASTER OF THE MAJICKS books ?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/any-news-on-ray-harryhausen-master-of-the-majicks--t81475-s20.html

I ordered mine in August 2016. At least there have been some updates posted in the last several months.

I have the original 3 volumes. I’m glad I didn’t re-order the new ones.

Very few updates and its always the same message since many years. But you have to consider that we paid for those books $ 500,00 canadian and we also paid for shipping ! I have the first edition but the new ones were supposed to be much better. But i ordered these on august 11, 2015 13:02

http://www.archive-editions.com/

Posted:   Nov 13, 2023 - 1:00 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

More than a week later and more than a week closer to LLL BF batch and still no response and no discount code received either!

Posted:   Nov 13, 2023 - 5:32 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

I wonder if the eBook version will preceded the print editions given the logistics of printing vs digital?
I would be okay with the digital version arriving sooner than later. smile

Posted:   Nov 15, 2023 - 11:36 AM   
 By:   Boff100   (Member)

More than a week later and more than a week closer to LLL BF batch and still no response and no discount code received either!

I received this email today:

PROGRESS REPORT - November 14, 2023

Posted by Taylor White
Nov 14, 2023

View on Kickstarter
Greetings from

As of this week, both volumes are in the production queue at our printer and scheduled to be on the presses in early December. We’ll post the designated delivery date of the finished books once they're in the active printing/binding stage.

Back in September, we compiled the master list of each of your names to appear in our our 'Jerry Goldsmith Companions' thank you sections of both books. The majority of you replied and your names are now locked down on the list. However, several of you have not yet responded or were listed under an alias, so we're offering one last opportunity to make changes.

Below is the complete list, alphabetized by first name. If your name doesn't appear or requires an alteration of any kind, please e-mail us at cfeatures@me.com no later than November 30th at 9pm PST and we’ll make the adjustment before going to press. Please only contact us if a change needs to be made as the volume of e-mails can be excessive.

Finally, check back here next week as we dish up a special sneak peek hand-picked by your author for everyone to enjoy over the Thanksgiving holiday.

As always, thank you again for your support as we continue our celebration of the maestro!

Posted:   Nov 15, 2023 - 12:22 PM   

Yes, as always... useless update.

Posted:   Nov 15, 2023 - 12:30 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Thanks for posting the update here Boff100. I'm personally happy to know when the books are actually being printed.

Yavar

Posted:   Nov 15, 2023 - 9:34 PM   

Just ridiculous!

It's obviously forbidden to ask CF a question and expect an answer!

"Order cancelled due to abusive public posts"

Good business practice!
Won't bother ever again with anything CF related then and save money for someone who knows how to answer a question from his customer!

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 12:27 AM   
 By:   jb1234   (Member)

Thanks for the update!

Posted:   Dec 21, 2023 - 2:04 PM   

Final Production Update for 2023

Posted by Taylor White
Dec 21, 2023

Greetings and welcome to our final update for 2023 as we embark on the final stages of production on THE JERRY GOLDSMITH COMPANION: Volumes 1 and 2.

As expected, the process of printing overseas, proofing over 1,000 pages of layouts, then storing and shipping 3,000 copies of these epic tomes has become the most ambitious undertaking in our twelve years of publishing. Thankfully, your enthusiasm, patience and unbridled support have been the essential ingredients in guiding us through this process and we are up to the task of pushing these books across the finish line following the much-needed holiday respite.

First and foremost, many thanks to each of you who met the deadline in clarifying and/or modifying your names for our Kickstarter Donor ‘Thank You’ list giving a much-deserved nod to our contributors to be published in each volume. This was the last piece of the puzzle before moving on to the printing stage. For the final few who may have missed the cut-off, our printer allows alterations during the final proofing of the first set of printed layouts, so it’s vital that you submit your change no later than December 31st.

Also, further thanks go out to those of you who provided photos and memorabilia from your own personal collections. Your contributions helped push the count from around 100 images during the initial stages of production to the final count tally of over 800. This new treasure trove includes dozens of behind-the-scenes images, complete selections of LP and CD covers, sheet music, concert coverage and much more. We even managed to update our layouts with artwork from Intrada’s brand new 2-CD release of MacARTHUR to stay as timely as possible.

Posted:   Dec 21, 2023 - 5:45 PM   
 By:   W. David Lichty [Lorien]   (Member)

(Some?) backers of the book got a chapter today, on A L I E N.

It's a good appetizer. Jeff doesn't shy away from relaying things we may already know (they are part of the story), and he has more details. It's nice to see all of the threads tied together. When he brings up names (Terry Rawlings, for example), he introduces them, because we might need that. He doesn't derail the account with a full life story, because we don't need that. It's very well judged.

Also, I know a lot of the Goldsmith interviews. He says a lot of the same things (when people raise the same topics), and I think it read like Jeff picked the best options there. So if Jerry said the thing about Ridley being a new-ish director three times, we're getting the fullest, or best expressed of those. Also well judged.

I could hear the music in my head as I read. Now, I happen to know that score really well, but that just makes it available; it's still down to the writing describing the score in an evocative way.

So, yeah! Big plus signs here.

Posted:   Dec 21, 2023 - 10:15 PM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

Looking forward to the book!

Posted:   Jan 26, 2024 - 4:38 PM   

LATEST UPDATE:

The Jerry Goldsmith Companion - January 2024 Progress Report

Posted by Taylor White
Jan 26, 2024

Greetings and welcome to our latest progress report! The New Year has kicked off in earnest as we continue pushing forward with the final production on our two Jerry Goldsmith volumes.

First up in February, we’ll be sending out our official Kickstarter survey to compile, update and/or confirm your current mailing addresses. Please pay careful attention to this solicitation as it is vital in making sure your orders are fulfilled and shipped properly. If you haven't received your survey by February 15th, please check your spam folder before contacting us via e-mail.

The first packages to ship will be our sold out inventory of Goldsmith-related rewards, currently being pre-packed for mailing in mid-to-late February. These include the PLANET OF THE APES books and boxed CD sets, the GOLDSMITH AT FOX CD’s, sheet music and more, all offered during the campaign last year. Delivery time for U.S. orders should be 1-2 weeks while overseas orders could take 4-6 weeks.

In late February or March, we’ll be following up with the secure link for you to access your digital copies for both finished volumes. Delivery of the final hard copy editions are scheduled to follow in April. We’ll have more accurate delivery dates as the books make their way thru our overseas production pipeline in the weeks ahead.

Also, for our followers in Los Angeles and New York, we’re in the initial stages of preparing two live Goldsmith-themed screening events to cap off our celebration of the books' release. Our Kickstarter donors will be the first to be contacted and will receive priority access, pending dates and venues in September for L.A. and October for N.Y..

Lastly, author Jeff Bond has delivered the finished manuscript and visual files on his expanded edition of THE MUSIC OF STAR TREK. The book is twice the length of the original 1999 edition and is truly the last word on the 50+ years of musical landscapes penned for The Final Frontier. Initial proofreading is underway with layouts beginning in March. Final book delivery is scheduled to coincide with Creation’s yearly STAR TREK convention in Las Vegas this summer.

As always, stay tuned for more info in the weeks ahead, and thank you again for your continued support and enthusiasm!

Posted:   Jan 26, 2024 - 4:52 PM   
 By:   Gold Digger   (Member)

Quite shocked we are talking about April now for these books. This is taking too long I think considering the investment. Very surprised by this post.

Posted:   Jan 27, 2024 - 2:50 AM   
 By:   Scope   (Member)

I know they changed the content, which adds time for formatting and probably sent them to the back of the line for the presses, but when they present their backers with not a 2- or 3- but 7-month delay from September, they should focus on getting that book completed before advertising their next one.

Posted:   Jan 27, 2024 - 3:21 AM   
 By:   Simon Morris   (Member)

I suppose it could be worse though; such a book might not have been written and published at all?

I've only ordered the digital versions, but I'm looking forward to them in February or March...whenever, really. I'm not even a hardcore Goldsmith fan but I'm still looking forward to reading this, and not getting too worked up by the delays. I'm looking forward to Jeff's STAR TREK MUSIC book too, as my copy of his original ST book is looking a little dog-eared these days big grin

Posted:   Jan 27, 2024 - 3:52 AM   
 By:   steffromuk   (Member)

Delays are happening almost all the time with Kickstarter projects. One should always expect this.

At least they're keeping us informed of the situation. It's enough for me.

I've backed some projects in the past that were really badly managed and we would not get any update until the rewards shipped, much later than planned.

Posted:   Jan 27, 2024 - 6:29 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

Good update and happy the digital versions are available on Feb/March. I know I will enjoy the hard copies when they arrive but my main interest is the subject material and I find digital easier on my aging eyes… so win win.

I missed Jeff’s original ST book so I will jump on his second edition as well.

Posted:   Jan 27, 2024 - 7:12 AM   
 By:   Hedji   (Member)

It’s a fine update. No surprises really. I can wait.

@Jeff Bond - Thank you for adding the update for the new Trek printing. I missed the first edition, and this has me even more excited than the Goldsmith set.

Posted:   Jan 27, 2024 - 11:52 AM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

This is awesome, I appreciate the updates! I don't feel any disappointment with an April release for the printed copies, I'm always 3-4 books at once anyway so I'm not lacking for reading material. Anyone who is somewhat angered by this should themselves why they feel so wronged - delays happen all the time, there are no guarantees and you'll be a happier person if you have no set expectations.