Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 16, 2015 - 2:18 PM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

This should work (it's my Photobucket account):

[Link sadly expired thanks to Photobucket evil]

Posted:   Feb 16, 2015 - 2:49 PM   
 By:   Leo Nicols   (Member)

Jim, great to hear that end title theme once again after so many years !

Thank you for sharing.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2015 - 8:54 PM   
 By:   JAY1960   (Member)

As one of many,who grew up watching the tv western,THE VIRGINIAN,i remembered being mortified,when the show ended,and over the moon to hear years later it was going to return to our screens,then again i was left feeling let down,that when it returned,it would have a new title and new cast,omg,nomore JAMES DRURY,but i was not only happy to see he was still in the show,but now it had a great new title,THE MEN FROM SHILOH,and hold on,where had percy faith`s theme tune gone,it had now been replaced with one of the coolist theme tunes,composed and played by,spaghetti western composer ENNIO MORRICONE,i was hooked,but for the life of me,i could never remember the tune,to whistle the next day,no matter how much i practiced,then the show was gone forever,and for years i searched high and low,for that tune,and just when i thought i would never hear it again,there i was,at 46 years old,searching an old record shop,and i found it,i turn 55 in april,and i still have that record,and when i play it,im back on that sofa with my gran,munching my crisps and watching the opening credits to THE MEN FROM SHILOH,well done again mr morricone,you made a little boy who grew up,very happy

Posted:   Feb 16, 2015 - 11:17 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

I never heard that theme as used in the end title. Thanks so much, Jim.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2015 - 4:30 AM   

As one of many,who grew up watching the tv western,THE VIRGINIAN,i remembered being mortified,when the show ended,and over the moon to hear years later it was going to return to our screens,then again i was left feeling let down,that when it returned,it would have a new title and new cast,omg,nomore JAMES DRURY,but i was not only happy to see he was still in the show,but now it had a great new title,THE MEN FROM SHILOH,and hold on,where had percy faith`s theme tune gone,it had now been replaced with one of the coolist theme tunes,composed and played by,spaghetti western composer ENNIO MORRICONE,i was hooked,but for the life of me,i could never remember the tune,to whistle the next day,no matter how much i practiced,then the show was gone forever,and for years i searched high and low,for that tune,and just when i thought i would never hear it again,there i was,at 46 years old,searching an old record shop,and i found it,i turn 55 in april,and i still have that record,and when i play it,im back on that sofa with my gran,munching my crisps and watching the opening credits to THE MEN FROM SHILOH,well done again mr morricone,you made a little boy who grew up,very happy

That's the thing about film / TV music. or any kind of great music, it always takes you back to the time you first heard it.
That's part of it's charm......it evokes happy memories.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2015 - 4:56 AM   

I never heard that theme as used in the end title. Thanks so much, Jim.

My pleasure! Thankfully, all of The Virginian and the lone season of The Men from Shiloh is available on DVD.

As for the show itself, in the thread I linked previously, we discussed how the show has always been so popular in Ireland. James Drury must be a legend over there by now. It's interesting to note which western series catch on with a specific country (I've read that Bonanza is beloved in Germany).

Posted:   Feb 17, 2015 - 5:13 AM   
 By:   chriss   (Member)

(I've read that Bonanza is beloved in Germany).

That's true. It was also popular among children to watch reruns of Fury in the 80s in Germany.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2015 - 6:14 AM   

(I've read that Bonanza is beloved in Germany).

That's true. It was also popular among children to watch reruns of Fury in the 80s in Germany.

In the years before CBS/Paramount finally got on the ball and released Bonanza to DVD, Germany had long since released the first, what, seven or so seasons on R2, so that in itself is something.

As for James Drury and The Virginian, allow me to quote someone with whom I've corresponded to speak to the program's popularity:

"It's an interesting observation you make concerning The Virginian's following in Ireland. In rural Ireland in the '60's when the show was aired there was one TV channel. Westerns were hugely popular in the cinema at the time and no shortage of them . Often you would get two westerns billed together for the cinema show. On TV until the late '60's the only western series on Irish TV was The Virginian. I think this is a factor why there is a great love of the show here. In 2008 James Drury visited Galway and attended The Galway Races (horse racing). There were several TV & radio interviews. During his stay he visited Roscommon where his Irish ancesters are from. Appropriately enough at the time of his visit one of our Irish terrestrial TV channels was showing reruns of the series. This was pointed out to him by his TV & radio interviewers and it was clear by his reaction this touched him in a nice way. I feel good that The Virginian received the deserved "100 thousand welcomes" when he came here. He came across as such a lovely guy and of course its always great when our heros live up to our expectations."

Posted:   Feb 17, 2015 - 3:38 PM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy140/pacwarbuff/TV%20Shows/Men%20from%20Shiloh%20End%20Credits_zpsduokngxv.mp4

Thanks Jim ! FINALLY heard it on my wife's kindle. It is indeed like Jon Burlingame described. It's Ennio 's theme done decently but without his edginess. A more sedate end title.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2015 - 5:10 AM   

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy140/pacwarbuff/TV%20Shows/Men%20from%20Shiloh%20End%20Credits_zpsduokngxv.mp4

Thanks Jim ! FINALLY heard it on my wife's kindle. It is indeed like Jon Burlingame described. It's Ennio 's theme done decently but without his edginess. A more sedate end title.

Considering it's American TV circa 1971, I think their adaptation of Ennio's theme is fairly offbeat. I'm glad you finally got to hear the thing!

Posted:   Feb 2, 2017 - 11:05 PM   
 By:   macdrummer   (Member)

Been looking for a discussion on 'The Men From Shiloh Theme'...for years.

I might have guessed I would find it on Lukas's site.

Where many gems have already been created.

I believe the original version by Ennio Morricone... was released in 1970 as a single...but I have never ever tracked it down!

Unfortunately.

When I discovered the TV Themes Vol 3 from 1997? had this listed I was ecstatic and bought it immediately... only to find it was edited..and last 38 seconds!!

Now after the release of the Dvds we can finally hear both the intro and the outro although both together lasted almost a minute and half.

So that all being said I decided to try and cobble both the intro and the outro together and do a rehash of them both.If that makes any sense.

Anyway I decided to upload it to you tube just for kicks.This is version 3.Or maybe 4 ..I can't remember.

I sincerely hope the purists 'cut me some slack' as it is honestly meant as a tribute to the genius of Mr. Morricone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPTfJp_MuAw

Hope it does not offend too many!

Peace and love to all who appreciate the great man's music.

Posted:   Feb 2, 2017 - 11:40 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Good work in my opinion - there's maybe a slight lack of variety for such length but it holds up really well. Nice to have it and welcome to the board.

Posted:   Feb 2, 2017 - 11:55 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Anyone know where the theme was recorded and who conducted?

Posted:   Feb 3, 2017 - 5:30 AM   
 By:   PollyAnna   (Member)

I must say that the orchestration of the coda of the end title is sooo Shuken and Hayes in style. Amazing theme. It could be the Cantori Moderni singing but they sound more pared back. I wonder was it recorded in Italy or just a studio set up in LA?

Posted:   Feb 3, 2017 - 7:28 AM   

Anyone know where the theme was recorded and who conducted?

Ennio seems to record most of his music at Forum Studios in Rome.
But I'd love to know more about this particular recording ?

Posted:   Feb 3, 2017 - 9:57 AM   

Good work in my opinion - there's maybe a slight lack of variety for such length but it holds up really well. Nice to have it and welcome to the board.

Thank you Tall Guy.

Yes .. unfortunately it is repetitive ...with only 1 1/2 minutes to actually play with.

I still havent done one that I am completely happy with.

Maybe one day.

It is an exquisite piece by the master and that great outro by the other two gents whom I can never remember their names.

I see one of the other members says he bought an old record of the theme..if this is the original single version I would just love to hear that.

My Holy Grail!

Thanks again for the welcome and look forward to more conversation on this theme and others.??

Posted:   Feb 3, 2017 - 10:05 AM   

Jay is this the elusive single from 1970?

If so is there anyway possible ...you could upload this?

Been so looking forward to hearing this for the last 46 years!

Regds

Md

Posted:   Feb 3, 2017 - 10:22 AM   
 By:   Gary Radovich   (Member)

I've collected Morricone since 1977 and have never heard of (or knew anyone that had) a 45 from THE MEN FROM SHILOH.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2017 - 11:50 AM   

I've collected Morricone since 1977 and have never heard of (or knew anyone that had) a 45 from THE MEN FROM SHILOH.

Very interesting!

Thanks for that Gary.

Well...this would certainly explain the elusiveness.. of it!

Unless Jay1960 can correct this?

Posted:   Feb 6, 2017 - 6:04 AM   
 By:   PollyAnna   (Member)

Apparently a cover version by Chuck Cirino from 2011 here!
http://redmp3.su/cover/739148-460x460/the-men-from-shiloh-theme-from-the-motion-picture-by-ennio-morricone.jpg

and here
http://mp3red.co/8161818/chuck-cirino-the-men-from-shiloh-theme-from-the-tv-series-by-ennio-morricone.html