Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 4:33 PM   
 By:   dr.doom   (Member)

Symphony Nr4 Symphony of Songs by Johan de Meij

This is digital only and on spotify.Its two pieces depicting the beauty and majesty of the alps and then a six part symphony with german text choir and solo lady, very noble,very regal sometimes a bit xmas music like.like all of de meijs works, a spectacle to behold.Spoitfy has lots of de meij. I recommend all of it.

It is extremely enjoyable filmscorelike (and opera-like) music.I highly recommend it.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 4:42 PM   

The Winds of Power by Nigel Hess

20$ new, 10$ used on amazon.com, available digitaly and on spotify.This is a collection of proud, majestic, playfull and incredibly fun pieces brilliantly orchestrated for wind orchestra.Hess is an experienced british tv composer.this music can only be describe as crowd pleaser.immediately bought it after first listen.not much to say really about it.

It is extremely enjoyable filmscorelike music.I highly recommend it.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 4:48 PM   

New London Pictures by Nigel Hess

its 21$ new and 10$ used, available digitaly and on spotify.This is essentialy an sequel to winds of power.and like all good sequels it builds on what made the first part great and makes it even better.again a collection of crowdpleasers.the first track alone is worth the price.

it is extremely enjoyable filmscorelike music.I highly recommend it.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 4:49 PM   
 By:   Ray Worley   (Member)

Back in the days before sound film (or film at all), some of this type of music was often created and performed and was loosely described as "program music". That is, music which painted a specific picture or told a certain story or maybe just suggested a scene or story line. Some critics or music snobs even frowned on program music as somehow inferior or more low-brow than "pure" music. A silly attitude that has certainly survived in the form of classical music snobs who look down on film music as somehow less artistically pure (An attitude which is fast becoming history as more classical concert goers embrace performances of music by Morricone, Williams, Goldsmith, Bernstein, etc.)

One of my all-time favorite pieces of "program music" is Alan Hovhaness' Symphony #50 (Mount St. Helens). It's a vivid picture of the beauty of Oregon's Mount St. Helens, Spirit Lake, and the eruption that destroyed both. It's a powerful work that goes from delicate beautiful melody to adrenaline stirring "action" music dominated by gigantic percussion forces as the volcano erupts. A real winner. It's paired with Symphony #22 (City of Light) on a CD that can be found on Amazon at prices under $1 used and then starting $50.00 and up new.(!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Hovhaness also composed other film score-like pieces that are worth checking out such as "And God Created Great Whales" and the Mysterious Mountain Symphony.

A guilty pleasure along these lines is those almost cliche-worthy music of Albert Ketelby, such as "In a Persian Market", "In the Mystic Land of Egypt" and "In a Monastery Garden". These works were hugely popular in the late Victorian era through the 20s. and became so ubiquitous that they were commonly used in cartoons. If you've never heard the actual pieces, you will be be instantly taken back to your childhood recognizing familiar melodies from Looney Tunes and others.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 4:59 PM   

thank you very much for your recommendations.i will look into them onced i finished my first batch here.speaking of which:

Orchestral Music including Symphony Nr1 by Jack Gallagher

9$ new and 6 used on amazon.com, also available digitaly and on spotify.Performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, this is a collection of works and a symphony inspired by 70s music of williams and goldsmith among others.it is a bit more complex than that, but one piece is essentialy more music from alien.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 5:05 PM   

Symphony Nr2 "Ascendent" and Quiet Reflections by Jack Gallagher

8$ new and 6$ used from amazon.com and also digital and spotify.Again performed by the London Symphony Orchestra this is a huge symphony inspired by 80s/90s williams and goldsmith and more complex then filmscore.a lot of very cool ideas in between.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 5:14 PM   

Symphony Nr1 by Jerome Moross

21$ new, 11$ used, available digitaly and on spotify.Performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.Haven`t heard this in a while.But i remember this being as awesome as the big country.Will post updated impressions.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 5:31 PM   

Concert Band Collection (Spotify)/El Arca de Noe (CD) by Oscar Navarro

All the works of Oscar Navarro can only by bought from his online store for 10-15 Euro each plus shipping.This one here is on spotify also.I discovered Oscar Navarro by accident when searching for Diego Navarros Capture the Flag on spotify by clicking on the wrong album.what a fortunate misfortune.the same day i bought all of his cds from his online shop.This is a collection of works for wind band:each one is very different, each is is fantastic on its own.

El Arca de Noe (noahs ark) is a 19mins long semi religious piece inspired by the biblical tale,though it ended up sounding like an 80s don bluth animated score suite or something.love it.

Concert for Clarinet is 15mins, jumping between 70s cool heist music and more comedic tones.also fantastic.

Jumper Clarinet is a very playfull, 7mins

Paradise is 8mins of noble adventure music

It ends with the two part Trips, another 14mins of fun adventures noble music.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 5:48 PM   

Music and Life by Oscar Navarro

This is on spotify but also only available through his online store.Another collection of different pieces.

Downey Overture is kinda grazefull march music, 5mins

Libertadores is a noble and heroic piece with spanish sound, 14mins of brilliant build up and big payoff.

Another Concert for Clarinete, the second of three.a varied piece with moments of pure beauty and nobility.20mins

Hispania is more grazefull spanish music, fans of el cid should enjoy this a lot.10mins

Expedition, again, varied, gracefull, majestic,heroic.all the good stuff for 18mins.

Ell Illustre Marino is an Hymn for orchestra, chorus and a lady solo singer.it ends the album with a bang.8mins

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 5:58 PM   

El Olimpo de los Dioses (The gods of Olymp) by Oscar Navarro

This one is not on spotify, though all the works are on youtube.this is also only available from his online store.
The Main piece is a 10part symphonic suite depicting all the various gods of olymp.from the playfull speedyness of hermes, the nobility of artemis to the gods of war and the royal couple themeselves.a glorious piece of music.43mins

then the third and final concert for clarinet and orchestra.like the ones before, a varied and stunning 21min piece.
The fly is a 5min work depicting the short life of a fly till its demise by an annoyed human. a really fun piece.

It ends with Andres Contrabandistas, which could be some form of spanish traditional.still a very fun and energetic piece.5mins

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 6:07 PM   

Las seite trompetas del apokalipsis (the seven trumpets of the apokalypse) by Oscar Navarro

Unfortunately this is only on youtube and nowhere else.Its a playlist with 6 videos,5 of which are for the work itself.This one is epic.a 30min long 5part symphonic work depicting the events of the apocalypse as portrayed in the bible.dark, scary but also heavenly angelic music.this whole thing is like goldsmiths omen1 and 3 meets the legend of zelda.seriously.huge orchestra and choir, great thematic ideas.incredible.heard it 5 times in the last few days.

it is extremely enjoyable filmscorelike music.I highly recommend it (and hope for a cd asap)

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 6:11 PM   

Legacy by Oscar Navarro

More music on youtube only.its a 20mins work for orchestra and a oboe solo player.this sounds A LOT like something from a japanese game concert with wonderful themes throughout.loveliness.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 6:16 PM   

Latent Emotions by Oscar Navarro

My final Navarro recommandation is only on youtube.Its a 20mins 4 part piece for orchestra and a finish star violin player (who looks like a hobo) It depicts several emotional states.the first one is seduction, then tranquility, then joy, then rage.all 4 are briliant.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 6:28 PM   

Score-A videogame Symphony

Only on youtube, maybe the best looking concert i have ever seen.a collection of various pieces throughout videogame history, from most recent ones like bloodborne to megaman.this concert was a masterpiece.the megaman suite is one of the greatest orchestral pieces i have ever heard.brilliant arrangments and a lovely swedish solo lady singer included.Its over 80mins long.

It is extremely enjoyble filmscorelike music.I highly recommend it.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 6:37 PM   

Coast of Dreams-Paul Dooley

Available as download for 1$ for each of the two parts and also on spotify.This is one is pure genius.the first part is mostly americana and suspensemusic with a slight spanish flavor which is great.but after that badassness happens.the second part is some of the best heist music every written, incredibly cool 70s goldsmith like bankjob music which would make him proud.blown away by that.i also highly recommend checking pauldooley.net and listen to everything else.

Posted:   Oct 2, 2016 - 6:48 PM   

Final Symphony (1) by Nobue Uematsu

Download only and on spotify.
A collection of suites of music from various final fantasy games and also a 40min symphony based on final fantasy 7, spectacularly performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.90mins of breathtaking music,absolutely massive.still no cd. a sequel started playing a few years ago.waiting for it impatiently.the first one is sublime.

Posted:   Oct 7, 2016 - 11:00 AM   

Serenada Schizophrenada by Danny Elfman

8$ new and 3$ used on amazon.com.available digitally

A collection of very different wonderful very varied and colourful pieces.some with choir.some of it inspired his alice in wonderland score.a must have for fans of elfman and filmmusic in general.

Posted:   Oct 7, 2016 - 11:06 AM   

Rabbit and Rogue by Danny Elfman

Its only digitally available and on spotify.Its a score for a ballet.Its spectacular and ends with a lenghty piece that is among the best music elfman has ever written.a mix of thematic orchestral music and ragtime.very unique and lots of fun.

Posted:   Oct 10, 2016 - 3:25 PM   
 By:   bobbengan   (Member)

AMAZING thread. Don't let this one slip away into obscurity, people.

I'll be back to actually contribute something of greater value than this when my time allows in a few days.

Dr. Doom, congrats on presenting some real gems here. There's a lot of stuff I've never heard of that I can't wait to pour over!

Posted:   Oct 10, 2016 - 3:48 PM   
 By:   bobbengan   (Member)

Ezio Bosso's Sinfonia No. 1, "Oceans" is a very enjoyable and dramatic work. It's written in the expansive and dramatic minimalist style of John Adams, and the finale put a huge smile on my face. This kind of writing is hit-or-miss for me, but this one impressed me: