Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 31, 2019 - 2:20 PM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

I only buy scores from composers whose name I can pronounce.

Like Ennio Morricone? Maurice Jarre? Basil Poledouris? Akira Ifukube? I'm sorry, this is such a ridiculous, asinine comment. It diminishes the entire board.

Lukas

Posted:   May 31, 2019 - 2:30 PM   
 By:   SoldierofFortune   (Member)

Very dark and opresive score, and WORKS excentently in the series, btw, is so good.

Posted:   May 31, 2019 - 4:47 PM   
 By:   Ray Worley   (Member)

To be fair, even native Icelanders don't always pronounce things the same way...particularly when you are dealing with proper names. (True in any language actually).

Here's another recording which has a slight difference:

[url]=https://forvo.com/word/hildur_gu%C3%B0nad%C3%B3ttir[/url]

I've been studying Icelandic and Old Norse and the pronunciation is very difficult for English speakers (and probably lots of other language speakers - let's not just pick on Anglo Saxons), as there are many sounds you have to make that just don't exist in English.

What is unforgivable is to be PROUD you don't even make the attempt to learn pronunciation: as in, "I don't buy scores from composers I can't pronounce".
Not even funny.

Posted:   May 31, 2019 - 5:18 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Like Ennio Morricone? Maurice Jarre? Basil Poledouris? Akira Ifukube? I'm sorry, this is such a ridiculous, asinine comment. It diminishes the entire board.

Lukas

...and Hayao Miyazaki!

Posted:   May 31, 2019 - 5:25 PM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

I commented on this series previously on the "What are you watching thread" a few weeks ago. I've watched the 4 episodes shown on UK TV so far, and it's possibly the greatest thing I've seen on TV. And I'm not exaggerating. I'm sure many of us remember what happened at the time, so how they've made the series so authentic I don't know. I'll watch the final episode next week, but I doubt I'd ever be able to watch it again.

Also, the score is not music. It's sound design, and clearly not intended to be listened to outside of viewing the series unless you like buying CDs of droning recorded sound effects.

Posted:   May 31, 2019 - 7:39 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

Lukas

Thank you LK. That's the nicest thing you ever said about me.

Bruce

Now playing:
Godzilla (1954)
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
DAYS OF HEAVEN ( FSM), GUNS FOR SAN SEBASTIAN ( FSM) FIVE MAN ARMY ( FSM) NAVAJO JOE (FSM)

Posted:   May 31, 2019 - 7:41 PM   

Lukas

...and Hayao Miyazaki!

Now playing:
PRINCESS MONONOKE
LITTLE BUDDHA
SOLARIS ( Russia)

Posted:   May 31, 2019 - 7:43 PM   

To be fair, even native Icelanders don't always pronounce things the same way...particularly when you are dealing with proper names. (True in any language actually).

Here's another recording which has a slight difference:

[url]=https://forvo.com/word/hildur_gu%C3%B0nad%C3%B3ttir[/url]

I've been studying Icelandic and Old Norse and the pronunciation is very difficult for English speakers (and probably lots of other language speakers - let's not just pick on Anglo Saxons), as there are many sounds you have to make that just don't exist in English.

What is unforgivable is to be PROUD you don't even make the attempt to learn pronunciation: as in, "I don't buy scores from composers I can't pronounce".
Not even funny.

From YOU I expect humourlessness. But the others...?!
Btw I don't.need to be forgiven....

Now playing
DIVA ( France)

Posted:   May 31, 2019 - 8:31 PM   

Lukas

...and Hayao Miyazaki!

Now playing:
PRINCESS MONONOKE
LITTLE BUDDHA
SOLARIS ( Russia)

SERPICO
smile
WESTWORLD; GAME IF THRONES

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 1:09 AM   
 By:   CK   (Member)

I'll raise you an Eyjafjallajökull! big grin

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 2:51 AM   

I'll raise you an Eyjafjallajökull! big grin

I'll see your Eyjafjallajökull
and raise you a Vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyklakippuhringur. big grin

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 5:01 AM   
 By:   judy the hutt   (Member)

Lukas

Sorry sir but I have read a lot more stupid stuff that diminished the board than this.

Chernobyl, great series good sound/music whatever.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 5:47 AM   
 By:   MCurry29   (Member)

https://grapevine.is/news/2019/05/29/video-chernobyl-score-composer-used-only-sounds-from-an-actual-nuclear-plant/?fbclid=IwAR2V7eImeV1DOz2ApXrX8PvGzESGDqeGgOnW314OjPbVAKp6hofBJ6cGll0

The woman is GENIUS! I'll come and kick your ass Marshall.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 8:21 AM   
 By:   CK   (Member)

I'll see your Eyjafjallajökull and raise you a Vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyklakippuhringur. big grin

Looking through my Iceland photos to see whether I went there...perhaps not, but I can still pronounce it without blowing out my incisors! wink Something about wine and rings?

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 10:35 AM   

Why can't Norwegian composers Anglicize their names the way Hollywood composers used to?

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 10:42 AM   

Why can't Norwegian composers Anglicize their names the way Hollywood composers used to?

Pretend their is a winky icon.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 10:43 AM   

https://grapevine.is/news/2019/05/29/video-chernobyl-score-composer-used-only-sounds-from-an-actual-nuclear-plant/?fbclid=IwAR2V7eImeV1DOz2ApXrX8PvGzESGDqeGgOnW314OjPbVAKp6hofBJ6cGll0

The woman is GENIUS! I'll come and kick your ass Marshall.

Its a SHE?

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 10:44 AM   

"This is what radiation sounds like."

Right... so, expect a lot of noise and no music at all.

"AND..loving it!"
- Thor Haga

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 6:48 PM   

I'll see your Eyjafjallajökull and raise you a Vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyklakippuhringur. big grin

Looking through my Iceland photos to see whether I went there...perhaps not, but I can still pronounce it without blowing out my incisors! wink Something about wine and rings?

Not a place. Fairly well known as the longest Icelandic word and meaning: ‘a keychain ring containing the key to a storage shed used by road workers in a place called Vaðlaheiði’. Why someone felt the need to establish this as a specific single word kind of escapes me...but Icelandic! Endlessly fascinating to me.

I should comment of the score, just to keep from derailing this thread, I tried to listen to some of the Chernobyl score clips and while I think it does works very well in the film, I can't imagine listening to this on it's own for musical pleasure. Except for a couple of cues, it really does kind of cross the line into sound design. Just my opinion as there seem to be plenty of folks who like this kind of electronic buzzing.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2019 - 8:13 PM   

Coming soon from Bjoomsburhenn records:

Music to watch Nuclear Reactors go Critical By