Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 18, 2020 - 3:09 PM   
 By:   Xebec   (Member)

I really like a few of Rob Simonsen's scores. I've gotten into his stuff over the last few months.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2020 - 4:38 PM   
 By:   Tom Maguire   (Member)

Good heads up.
Have to check out his stuff.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2020 - 6:19 PM   
 By:   John Mullin   (Member)

There's a music editor listed on the film's IMDb page now. Composers the editor has worked with as of the last ten years

I don't think you can read anything into Curt Sobel being listed as the music editor on IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0811749/

His association with Ivan Reitman goes back nearly 35 years, and he's worked on multiple Jason Reitman movies as well. Apart from that, he's very successful and has worked on pictures scored by nearly every major composer in the business.

ALSO also, it appears that the music editing for a lot of these movies is for the "preview screenings" (meaning the temp music). That doesn't necessarily happen with the eventual composer's full blessing, and someone like Sobel might wind up on a movie completely independently of whomever scores it ultimately.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 7:50 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

His association with Ivan Reitman goes back nearly 35 years, and he's worked on multiple Jason Reitman movies as well.

And that, therefore, includes composers Jason has been working with as of late.

Apart from that, he's very successful and has worked on pictures scored by nearly every major composer in the business.

And? If he's working on a Jason Reitman film, we know his choices of composers as of late have been Simonsen and Kent. And Sobel has worked once with Simonsen in the last few years.

ALSO also, it appears that the music editing for a lot of these movies is for the "preview screenings" (meaning the temp music).

No, it doesn't -- you skimmed his credits very quickly. Thirteen times out of about 130 music editor credits (not all the Music Department credits were music editor credits). Including three or four in the last ten years. No, it's not of movies.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 8:55 AM   
 By:   John Mullin   (Member)

I think you're drawing a lot of questionable conclusions based on minimal info.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 8:57 AM   

I'm not sure what part of "my educated guess" is confusing you.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 9:04 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

Justin, didn't you have a major problem with 'educated guessing' in another, recent thread?

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 9:07 AM   

No, I did not. I've been sitting here waiting almost ten minutes for that false comparison, conflating two different things. To summarize: A user was trying to pass off her opinion as the fact; and like I said then, while I agreed with it and he was probably right, it doesn't mean it IS right.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 11:45 AM   

If that's what helps you sleep at night, go with it fella.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 11:48 AM   

Don't be a jerk. I told you what factually happened.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 1:00 PM   

You say potato, I say potarto...

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 1:06 PM   

A rose by any other name is still a rose, but feel free to deny it's a rose.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 1:44 PM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

Justin, didn't you have a major problem with 'educated guessing' in another, recent thread?

He did. Clearly it's okay if he does it, and it's not okay if someone else does it.

Also, the educated guessing in that other thread was a lot more educated than this guess.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 1:48 PM   

He did. Clearly it's okay if he does it, and it's not okay if someone else does it.

No, I did not. This is a false comparison, conflating two different things. To summarize: A user was trying to pass off her opinion as the fact; and like I said then, while I agreed with it and he was probably right, it doesn't mean it IS right.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 1:51 PM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

No, I did not. This is a false comparison, conflating two different things. To summarize: A user was trying to pass off her opinion as the fact; and like I said then, while I agreed with it and he was probably right, it doesn't mean it IS right.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, brosef.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 1:57 PM   

Why must the default position be jerk for certain members.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 2:14 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

I'm very excited for this film. I've been watching THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS animated series in the meantime.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 2:31 PM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

Stop bickering! Sheesh.

Posted:   Feb 22, 2020 - 1:37 AM   
 By:   Randy Watson   (Member)

nvm

Posted:   Feb 22, 2020 - 3:23 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

Wasn‘t this a thread about the score?