Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 23, 2020 - 10:02 PM   
 By:   Totoro   (Member)

Um I have to say that as a collector of well over 1000 Records and 15000. CDs. The list of composers goes on forever. I have never really liked any of Morricone's music. The conveyor belt output. Quality sacrificed for Quantity. And the 'western' music. Frankly. Bores me.

I emphatize with you, friend.

Exactly my toughts about Morricone till I was 15 years old and only watched Hollywood blockbusters about monsters and aliens.

But then I grew up and saw "The Mission".

The rest is History.

I hope one day you can join us.

Posted:   Jul 23, 2020 - 10:29 PM   
 By:   nerfTractor   (Member)

His open and closing titles to both WOLF and HAMLET (and plenty of the music in between) are some of his melancholy best later work for American films. Not sure if that qualifies as heartbreaking but very effectively moody and solemn. I still listen to them often.

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 12:04 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Um I have to say that as a collector of well over 1000 Records and 15000. CDs. The list of composers goes on forever. I have never really liked any of Morricone's music. The conveyor belt output. Quality sacrificed for Quantity. And the 'western' music. Frankly. Bores me.

This is hilarious. You need the Start a Nerd war thread. big grin

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 1:46 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

I emphatize with you, friend.

Exactly my toughts about Morricone till I was 15 years old and only watched Hollywood blockbusters about monsters and aliens.

But then I grew up and saw "The Mission".

The rest is History.

I hope one day you can join us.

big grin

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 3:31 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Um may I suggest a change of name?

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 6:07 AM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

1) Miserere (from "The Mission")
The last track on the album which plays during the scene when the surviving native boys and girls departure from the remains of their tribes, masscared by european invaders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p48cY7bV33w

2) Casualties of War
The end title music (first track on the album) is the perfect ending for the almost ubereable attrocities depicted in the movie. When the choral enters, sounds like all mankind is crying in despair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjSif3GyZms

What else?

I read this last night and said “no, I just can’t. It’s too late, I’m tired. I knew I needn’t worry.

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 7:09 AM   

Do we suspect an embittered Goldsmith fan who registered yesterday just to dump on a recently-passed Morricone, perhaps afraid of his quiet popularity?

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 7:16 AM   

Do we suspect an embittered Goldsmith fan who registered yesterday just to dump on a recently-passed Morricone, perhaps afraid of his quiet popularity?

I do not believe it.

Goldsmith is my favorite composer of all times and his appreciators are well educated and inteligent people.
They know Morricone is a genius too, I am sure.

Probably just a needy anger teenager in need of attention.

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 7:50 AM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

He had me at 'Um I have to say that as a collector of well over 1000 Records and 15000. CDs..."

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 8:00 AM   

He had me at 'Um I have to say that as a collector of well over 1000 Records and 15000. CDs..."

Yes edw. A bad case of quantity over quality, if you ask me wink

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 8:06 AM   

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 8:12 AM   

Yes edw. A bad case of quantity over quality, if you ask me wink

big grin

I doubt we’ll hear from him again. Which is a shame, because there’s more joy in heaven over one sinner that repents than over ninety-nine who need no repentance. Apparently.

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 9:15 AM   
 By:   William R.   (Member)

He has done so many heartbreakingly beautiful pieces. Here is a great example:

La Sconosciuta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng7Kihc_ACg

I hadn't heard this before! Absolutely classic Morricone.

Posted:   Jul 24, 2020 - 9:21 AM   
 By:   William R.   (Member)

Deborah's Theme is literally my heartbreak go-to. That tune started playing in my head every time I had a bad break-up! Can't think of any other piece of music that has haunted my life in such a way.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2020 - 1:43 AM   

When the score to Sacco & Vanzetti isn’t being avant-garde, anthemic or just plain stupendous, tracks such as Hope of Freedom and Sacco and his Son are as heart-breaking as one could wish.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2020 - 3:38 AM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

When the score to Sacco & Vanzetti isn’t being avant-garde, anthemic or just plain stupendous, tracks such as Hope of Freedom and Sacco and his Son are as heart-breaking as one could wish.

I also think the film is a little cracker.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2020 - 4:06 AM   

I also think the film is a little cracker.

By crikey, it is as well. I’ve found two Blu-ray versions, one of which shows an English dub but is six or so minutes shorter. If I knew for sure that the longer version had English subtitles then I wouldn’t hesitate.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2020 - 4:35 AM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

I have it on a good old fashioned dvd with English, that'll do for now.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2020 - 4:51 AM   

I have it on a good old fashioned dvd with English, that'll do for now.

You’re forgetting (if you ever knew) my self-imposed restriction of sticking to Blu-ray upwards for purchases. There are so many classic foreign films available on dvd that I’d have no time, money or houseroom if I didn’t draw a line.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2020 - 5:47 AM   
 By:   JamesSouthall   (Member)

Impossible to single one thing out since there is so much, but since nobody else has mentioned it (indeed I don't think I have ever seen anyone mention it in my 25 years of reading about Ennio Morricone on the internet), I will throw the unbelievable theme from Quartiere into the mix.

https://youtu.be/niCdWOC2bj0