Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 6, 2021 - 9:08 AM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

Just a reminder about the link to register for the new series of meetings:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcrcumoqD8iG9TvA2ldUsMsNpCDOvlSOz3M

Posted:   Jun 7, 2021 - 7:34 AM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Marvelous session last evening. The first 2 hours flew by--always a good sign. What a celebration.

Posted:   Jun 7, 2021 - 9:35 AM   
 By:   George Flaxman   (Member)

Morning Mister Howard. Yes, it was good.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2021 - 5:41 AM   

It is always a good sign when, what, 3 hours fly by with nary a pause. Excellent discussion last evening.

And I think I've found a solution to time deficiency re reading & listening: 2nd Moderna shot. Right now I'm at work with a shoulder that is killing me (but masking out wrist pain, yay) and am positively knackered with some fever to go with it. Have warned 'em I may depart around noon hour. Serling bio here I come!

Posted:   Jun 21, 2021 - 11:11 AM   
 By:   cinemel1255   (Member)

It is always a good sign when, what, 3 hours fly by with nary a pause. Excellent discussion last evening.

And I think I've found a solution to time deficiency re reading & listening: 2nd Moderna shot. Right now I'm at work with a shoulder that is killing me (but masking out wrist pain, yay) and am positively knackered with some fever to go with it. Have warned 'em I may depart around noon hour. Serling bio here I come!

So sorry I wasn’t able to join you. I look forward to seeing you all in 2 weeks.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2021 - 12:02 PM   
 By:   Erik Woods   (Member)

I never thought that my trailer music show would inspire a two-hour conversation about trailers. That was awesome! Had a great time yesterday... too bad I had to exit early.

Can't wait 'til next time!

-Erik-

Posted:   Jun 21, 2021 - 12:20 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Sorry I missed it -- sounds like a good conversation inspired by a great episode of yours!

For anyone who doesn't know what Erik is referring to, check out this cool idea for a show:
http://www.cinematicsound.net/the-flag-ship-show-trailer-music-written-by-the-films-composer/

Yavar

Posted:   Jun 22, 2021 - 7:34 AM   

Sorry I missed it -- sounds like a good conversation inspired by a great episode of yours!

For anyone who doesn't know what Erik is referring to, check out this cool idea for a show:
http://www.cinematicsound.net/the-flag-ship-show-trailer-music-written-by-the-films-composer/

Yavar

I have to agree about Erik’s podcast on trailer music composed by the film’s composer. Such an engrossing and entertaining hour + with great informational introductions. I love Erik’s voice on these podcasts, so professional and calming.

Of course, this had to be a meet-up that I missed and you all raved about. Oh well, I'll try to be there in 2 weeks.

Posted:   Jun 23, 2021 - 2:22 AM   

Well, we could always "record" them for people who couldn't attend. But there may be objections.

Posted:   Jun 23, 2021 - 2:27 AM   

Recording Zoom calls is a GDPR nightmare George, but also if people think they are being recorded, they might be more reluctant to speak. I'd prefer to keep them a speak-easy.

Cheers

Posted:   Jun 23, 2021 - 2:31 AM   

For our next Zoom, I'd like to propose spending time on two composers — James Horner, as we've just had the anniversary of his passing, and Ryuchi Sakamoto.

Maybe we can explore some of the less trumpeted Horner scores, and get Mark buying some Sakamoto! (And me too, actually, as he's massively under-represented in my collection.)

What do you think?

Cheers

Posted:   Jun 23, 2021 - 5:39 AM   

Hi Stephen, I thought that might be the "record" response. No worries.

I like the idea of concentrating on Horner, although I've always thought of him as a watered down James Newton Howard. But that's not bad. Like Ashby Ashby he's very much in the easy listening bucket. Sakamoto on the other hand has been in my "difficult" composers list along with Nyman, Glass and such. On the other hand I have got Merry Xmas Mr. Lawrence (but don't remember much about it) so I'm up for hearing what the rest of the group think. Maybe playing some recommendations.

Posted:   Jun 23, 2021 - 6:43 AM   
 By:   Erik Woods   (Member)

First of all, thanks for plugging the Trailer Music show, Yavar, and thanks to all who listened!

Secondly, I could talk about Horner for days so I would love to chat about him on the up coming Zoom call… but I might no be there because I’m on vacation then but I’ll try to log in from the cottage.

And for those interested in rediscovering Horner please check out my numerous tributes to Horner since his untimely passing six years ago.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/remembering-james-horner-1953-2015/

-Erik-

Posted:   Jun 23, 2021 - 7:14 AM   

Erik, if you can't make it we can always hold the Horner item for when you can. We're super flexible! And thanks for sharing that link. I've got so much of your stuff to catch up on.

Cheers

Posted:   Jun 23, 2021 - 7:36 AM   

Erik, if you can't make it we can always hold the Horner item for when you can. We're super flexible! And thanks for sharing that link. I've got so much of your stuff to catch up on.

Cheers

Stephen, I like the idea of concentrating on a couple of composers for each meet. Maybe we could each choose a favorite cue to play as part of the session.

Mel

Posted:   Jul 4, 2021 - 11:38 AM   

oops wrong thread

Posted:   Jul 4, 2021 - 11:52 AM   

Almost time for the Zoom, provided its not cancelled because of Indy Day ?.

Posted:   Jul 4, 2021 - 12:31 PM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

Almost time for the Zoom, provided its not cancelled because of Indy Day ?.

That's not for a while,besides Ford has hurt his shoulder, hasn't he.

Posted:   Jul 18, 2021 - 3:05 PM   

Man that was an abrupt meeting cut-off. Boo-Hiss! razz

Posted:   Jul 18, 2021 - 3:28 PM   

I tried to log back in but after 15 mins gave up.

A blessing in disguise I guess... my computer was getting pretty hot.