Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 9:08 AM   
 By:   ibelin   (Member)

Please be kidding. There’s very little medieval in the music for Kingdom of Heaven. Some of the solo instruments or needle drops (and even then it’s centuries off), yes, but not in the rest of the instrumentation, chords or melodies. Actually, non of the ‘medieval’ movies actually have music from the Middle Ages. The only movie that really comes close is Barrington Phelough’s Nostradamus and – even though performed electronically – Horner's Name of the Rose.

No, I'm not kidding, good sir. I don't know whether the medieval music is in only the director's cut, but there definitely is medieval music in the film.

All can be heard in 'Kingdom of Heaven'.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 9:16 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

This has never been a "thought experiment" that I've been interested in, for some reason. I like to focus on the actual scores that exist, and judge them accordingly. That being said, I do love new scores being written for silent films. But as others have alluded to, that might not be what you had in mind.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 9:29 AM   

Isn’t adding music to silent films the same as colorizing black and white films? I know some silent films came with live music but most didn’t nor was it intended to have music.

I'm sure if the technology had existed at the time they would've used music in the actual films. Also, I'm not sure it's true that silent films weren't intended to have music. Many silent films did have original scores written for them. For example, 'The Birth of a Nation' had a score written by Joseph Carl Breil, even if it wasn't used all the time. I'm not exactly sure what the rationale is for writing new music for silent films that already had music written for them. Why not record the original scores? It's an open question whether directors such as Abel Gance or D. W. Griffith would've approved of Carl Davis's music.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 1:32 PM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

All can be heard in 'Kingdom of Heaven'.

Ah! I thought you meant the score. I assume these are diegetic? Kudos for them for picking music of the time, I can’t remember hearing them in the release version of the movie.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 1:35 PM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

I read this as, can we take out all the good scores that people used to write and replace them with the noisy rubbish that dominates our screens today.

No thanks.

Cheers

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 2:01 PM   
 By:   scoreaholic   (Member)

What I was thinking about was just not necessarily hearing the score in the movie, but just as a stand alone piece. JB FAN has the right idea. I was just thinking about what was a good film for another living composer to write for regardless if you liked the original score or not.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 4:00 PM   
 By:   jkruppa   (Member)

Could we have a crowd starter to have Robert Folk re-score Ladyhawke? B)

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=34448&forumID=1&archive=1&pageID=3&r=432#bottom

A subset of the this topic is the world of fan edits, where people reconfigure films by reworking the edit, removing and/or inserting footage, and in some cases changing the music. In the case of Ladyhawke, I recently watched a version that was rescored with Jerry Goldsmith's music for Dragonheart. I found the movie MUCH more palatable with a fully orchestral score. There are still script problems and Matthew Broderick still feels out of place, but with the new music the film goes down as a light and charming medieval romance.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 4:55 PM   

In the case of Ladyhawke, I recently watched a version that was rescored with Jerry Goldsmith's music for Dragonheart. I found the movie MUCH more palatable with a fully orchestral score.

'Dragonheart' was scored by Randy Edelman, not Jerry Goldsmith.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 5:19 PM   

In the case of Ladyhawke, I recently watched a version that was rescored with Jerry Goldsmith's music for Dragonheart. I found the movie MUCH more palatable with a fully orchestral score.

'Dragonheart' was scored by Randy Edelman, not Jerry Goldsmith.

Sorry, brain fart. It was the music from Lionheart. Got my wires crossed (and probably some phantom memory of Goldsmith wanting to score Dragonheart).

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 5:31 PM   

Sorry, brain fart. It was the music from Lionheart. Got my wires crossed (and probably some phantom memory of Goldsmith wanting to score Dragonheart).

Good ol' Wickerpedia says that JG read the script and wanted to score the film but eventually left the project without having written any music for it.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 7:55 PM   
 By:   Grack21   (Member)

How about we remake Braveheart so it doesn't make Conan The Barbarian look historically accurate?

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 8:02 PM   

How about we remake Braveheart so it doesn't make Conan The Barbarian look historically accurate?

Are you telling us that there weren't any cars in 13th-century Scotland?

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 8:28 PM   
 By:   Grack21   (Member)

Are you telling us that there weren't any cars in 13th-century Scotland?

I know you're making a joke based on that goof, but honestly, the car was more accurate than most of the film. I couldgo on for pages and pages. I uh, don't like that film.

The soundtrack is maybe the only part of the film I DO like. Can we make a new film to the old soundtrack?

Posted:   Sep 23, 2023 - 11:51 PM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Can we make a new film to the old soundtrack?

Well, there's precedent for that big grin. They did it with Cape Fear and Psycho.

Posted:   Sep 24, 2023 - 3:40 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=34448&forumID=1&archive=1&pageID=3&r=432#bottom

A subset of the this topic is the world of fan edits, where people reconfigure films by reworking the edit, removing and/or inserting footage, and in some cases changing the music. In the case of Ladyhawke, I recently watched a version that was rescored with Jerry Goldsmith's music for Dragonheart. I found the movie MUCH more palatable with a fully orchestral score. There are still script problems and Matthew Broderick still feels out of place, but with the new music the film goes down as a light and charming medieval romance.

I'd love to see this! Is it available on that peer to peer place we shall not mention?

Posted:   Sep 24, 2023 - 4:54 AM   
 By:   danbeck   (Member)

I’d probably not rescore any film (even some scores I’m not a fan of like For Your Eyes Only, Goldeneye, Star Trek IV and Ladyhawke) but what I would like is to get some “composers cut” of scores messed by editors/directors and rejected scores restored as an audio option (like they done to Spider Man 3 directors cut) of some movies, in particular:

Alien with the Goldsmith score as intended edited to film. Aliens, Die Hard, Troy (with Yared’s score), Frenesi (Mancini).

Posted:   Sep 24, 2023 - 9:00 AM   

I'd love to see this! Is it available on that peer to peer place we shall not mention?

Send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2023 - 7:19 AM   
 By:   Elmo Bernstein   (Member)

I'd be up for tossing Alexandre Desplat's white sound for the final Harry Potter movie and paying John Williams whatever he asks to write a replacement.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2023 - 9:22 AM   
 By:   soundtrackcollector   (Member)

I'd like Bill Conti or David Arnold to re-score Never Say Never Again but keeping the instrumental versions of the main title song as well as all the songs (including Jealousy, the Tango and the Sophie Della song). I'd also like either of them to re-score Goldeneye. I think David Arnold talked about re-scoring Goldeneye back in the late '90s or early 2000s.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2023 - 11:41 AM   
 By:   John B. Archibald   (Member)

A lot of silent films have had totally new scores recorded for them, many of which have been released on CD:
- Carl Davis scored a few silent films, notably BEN HUR and INTOLERANCE
- Carmine Coppola wrote the score for the restoration of NAPOLEON.
- David Newman wrote a new score for SUNRISE.
- There’s a lovely rewritten score for THE MAN WHO LAUGHS, though I don’t recall the name of the composer.
- Giorgio Moroder wrote a much publicized score for METROPOLIS.
- Philip Glass re-scored the 1931 DRACULA.
- And I believe a new score was written for NOSFERATU.

Also, Roger Corman had Les Baxter write new scores for at least 2 American International releases: BLACK SUNDAY and GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS. (There’s even a separate CD released of this Italian film, IL TERRORE DI BARBARII.)

I’m sure there are more I’m not aware of.