Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 4:18 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Funny there's no real science to any of it, pacing and crafting horror, but it's an interesting discussion.

The highly regarded (and loved by many, including me) SUSPERIA 77 loses all its energy in the endless sequence of Stefania Casini being stalked to the barb wire room. I wish there was some score here, because the scene is roadkill and puts me to sleep everytime!

The opening of ALIEN, the camera, not even a character, stalking the sleeping Nostromo does nothing but establish - yet it's a chillingly cool scene thanks to Goldsmith's scoring.

I think contemporary filmmakers miss the forest for the tress in these situations....or, as I tend to do, fault the 27 executive producers EVERY film now carries, and I'm certain 25 of them have ADD, like most of our current society....

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 4:20 PM   

I think I read the only TRUE Goblinscore, yuk yuk, all 5 founders-no substitutes, is my favorite one and favorite film....L'ALBA DEI MORTI VIVENTI.

Dawn of the Dead, baby! Goblin's finest hour. "La Caccia"!

Yes sir, yessir!

Just infectious and fun. Don't forget your free bag of hard candy if your purchase amounts to $5 or more (HA!!!).

Goblin covered so much ground well in not only the 30min. album program but the whole 51mins. they created.
So so good.

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 4:21 PM   

We mustn't forget Tangerine Dream's wondrous themes for Michael Mann's The Keep and Kathryn Bigelow's vampire classic, Near Dark.

Great pulls! Also BIG faves of mine, but I canna put them in horror, since they are such cool scores and the good outweighs the dark & eerie. I think anyway!

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 4:34 PM   
 By:   drop_forge   (Member)

A horror film score is a horror film score, baby! I own (nearly) everything Tangerine Dream has made (with Edgar Froese), so they serve as either/or.

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 5:22 PM   

A horror film score is a horror film score, baby! I own (nearly) everything Tangerine Dream has made (with Edgar Froese), so they serve as either/or.

We, Seriously must talk more - always dig your posts, and thinking your akin to my other brothafrommanutha Signor Josh!

Likewise, TD lifelong fan, got it all. I'm not as down (at risk of swerving this thread) on the recent incarnation of TD, but understand the arguments.

They get me by doing The Sessions which at least attempt to kindle the old 30-120min concert jams Froese et all did.

Heart's in the right place?

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 5:23 PM   

Plus, drop_forge....Angela!!!!

Have you met Felissa Rose? A sweeter, kind and engaging person does not exist on this Earth. She's unclassifiable good.

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 5:59 PM   

We, Seriously must talk more - always dig your posts, and thinking your akin to my other brothafrommanutha Signor Josh!

Likewise, TD lifelong fan, got it all. I'm not as down (at risk of swerving this thread) on the recent incarnation of TD, but understand the arguments.

They get me by doing The Sessions which at least attempt to kindle the old 30-120min concert jams Froese et all did.

Heart's in the right place?

Quantum Gate did little (or nothing) for me, but Raum is surprisingly good. But I'm still not convinced it's a true Dream, I mean team effort.

Brutha from anutha mutha!

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 6:00 PM   

Have you met Felissa Rose? A sweeter, kind and engaging person does not exist on this Earth. She's unclassifiable good.

Hahahahaha! The ending of that movie...I'm surprised more people haven't seen it.

I'm afraid I've not met Ms. Rose. I hear she's awesome.

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 6:10 PM   

Hahahahaha! The ending of that movie...I'm surprised more people haven't seen it.

I'm afraid I've not met Ms. Rose. I hear she's awesome.

If ever a chance to visit a con nearby, DO IT! She's just the best human and so funny this oddball film was her initial claim.

I saw Sleepaway on Cinemax in the 80s and Holy Shnikes, the ending didn't shock me, it scared the piss outta me!

On topic: there's a recent 45 vinyl released of the SLEEPAWAY CAMP song, 'Angela'.

Waiting for the full thing. Film actually has a decent albeit over the top orchestral score. You can literally hear the director yearning to bring some credence to his lil ol summer camp slasher.

Digrees engaged....back to the terrore!

-Sean

Posted:   Feb 10, 2024 - 3:57 AM   
 By:   Grimsdyke   (Member)

I think contemporary filmmakers miss the forest for the tress in these situations....or, as I tend to do, fault the 27 executive producers EVERY film now carries, ....

Hi guys, thanks for the great feedback !!
Unfortunately to many good comments for me to respond to all so I chose this one.

-> This is why I am so surprised about GODLESS.
It is a low-budget film but it does everything right that I like and expect in a movie regardless of the genre.
Acting, camera, editing, color grading and of course the score which is "real" music to me.
I hope that Dmitri Golokov gets a scoring job in Hollywood soon.

The complete contrast is for me "Unwelcome" (2022).
Christian Henson does his best with the score but the movie is with a runtime of almost 104 minutes just way to long.
Even Colm Meaney and the drastic violence in the third act by the goblins/little people can't save it for me.

And, no, I am not bothered by the "weak husband/strong wife" angle if a movie works. This one is unfortunately just ... meh.
I blame the director big grin

Posted:   Feb 10, 2024 - 4:32 AM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

Ironically being a horror score fan, i think the stuff that works best in horror films is the moments with no scoring. I hate these ‘tension’ tracked moments in films with some crappystinger effect to give you a jolt.
No takers on the ‘can music be frightening’ front?
Love all the Italian Goblin stuff. SUSPIRIA is still the best for me. Its my ringtone and often gets a few reactions when it goes off in the office.
I also thought the new Goblin’s work for Argento’s SLEEPLESS was a tour-de-force and that my still be my most played one.
On the Argento front have to a lso do a shout out for Morricone’s STENDHAL SYNDROME. A fascinating album as its just that little repetative motif mostly over and over but ..how it sucks you into an almost hypnotic listening experience.
…. But none of them are scary! Lol big grin

Posted:   Feb 12, 2024 - 1:36 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Ironically being a horror score fan, i think the stuff that works best in horror films is the moments with no scoring.

Indeed. Never underestimate the power of no music at all! That's why Michael Haneke's films are often so intense, although they aren't horror films, strictly speaking (except maybe FUNNY GAMES).

Posted:   Feb 12, 2024 - 2:33 AM   
 By:   Grimsdyke   (Member)

Hmmm, it depends - I think the murder scene in TORN CURTAIN without music is a mistake but, of course, it is not a horror movie.
But, for example, would a surreal-lovecraftian movie like Fulci's "City of the living dead" work with less or even without music at all ?

Posted:   Feb 12, 2024 - 9:17 AM   
 By:   acathla   (Member)

Not a horror, but a good example of that is the Buffy episode "The Body". A dramatic and intense episode with absolutely no score at all. Makes it all so much more real and uncomfortable!

Posted:   Feb 12, 2024 - 12:08 PM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Can horror music be frightening?
----------------------------------
I suppose it depends?
I remember my older sister freaking out one night when she came home and I was playing The Amityville Horror LP in my room.
She demanded our folks tell me to stop playing it cos it terrified her.
And I remember listening to Joe LoDuca's Army Of Darkness on headphones in bed late at night and when that demonic whispering track came on I nearly shit myself.
So it depends on time and place and mood for me (and my sister).

Posted:   Feb 12, 2024 - 1:45 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

ho hum...

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=61223&forumID=7&archive=0

Posted:   Feb 12, 2024 - 1:47 PM   

I think contemporary filmmakers miss the forest for the tress in these situations....or, as I tend to do, fault the 27 executive producers EVERY film now carries, ....

Hi guys, thanks for the great feedback !!
Unfortunately to many good comments for me to respond to all so I chose this one.

-> This is why I am so surprised about GODLESS.
It is a low-budget film but it does everything right that I like and expect in a movie regardless of the genre.
Acting, camera, editing, color grading and of course the score which is "real" music to me.
I hope that Dmitri Golokov gets a scoring job in Hollywood soon.

The complete contrast is for me "Unwelcome" (2022).
Christian Henson does his best with the score but the movie is with a runtime of almost 104 minutes just way to long.
Even Colm Meaney and the drastic violence in the third act by the goblins/little people can't save it for me.

And, no, I am not bothered by the "weak husband/strong wife" angle if a movie works. This one is unfortunately just ... meh.
I blame the director big grin

Grazie for the recs Grims! Certain, like our pal spook roaming about here, a rec from you is good to go.

Posted:   Feb 12, 2024 - 1:49 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

There have been some good ones in recent years too, it's not all oldypants.

In fact, the aforementioned Young delivered a proper corker last year with THE PIPER.

Some other favs in the last 10 years (also including synth scores, which can lift many horror films):

BLOOD MACHINES (Carpenter Brut)
THE NEON DEMON (Martinez)
SHE WILL (Mansell)
CONDEMNED (Davies & Robertson)
BODIES BODIES BODIES (Disasterpeace)
IT FOLLOWS (Disasterpeace)
TORN (Schyman, computer game)
TIN & TINA (Pook)
FIRESTARTER (Carpenter)
RAVE PARTY MASSACRE (Jantzen)
THE MURDER PACT (Llewelyn)
SHE DIES TOMORROW (Mondo Boys)
THELMA (Fløttum)
NERVE (Simonsen)
THE GUEST (Moore)
TO TOKYO (Jones)

My how we have expanded (heh heh) over the past 15 years from...
HELLRAISER
SPHERE
THE FURY
SLEEPY HOLLOW
SCREAM

Posted:   Feb 12, 2024 - 1:58 PM   

Ironically being a horror score fan, i think the stuff that works best in horror films is the moments with no scoring. I hate these ‘tension’ tracked moments in films with some crappystinger effect to give you a jolt.
No takers on the ‘can music be frightening’ front?
Love all the Italian Goblin stuff. SUSPIRIA is still the best for me. Its my ringtone and often gets a few reactions when it goes off in the office.
I also thought the new Goblin’s work for Argento’s SLEEPLESS was a tour-de-force and that my still be my most played one.
On the Argento front have to a lso do a shout out for Morricone’s STENDHAL SYNDROME. A fascinating album as its just that little repetative motif mostly over and over but ..how it sucks you into an almost hypnotic listening experience.
…. But none of them are scary! Lol big grin

Canna agree more on all points - oy, that Stendhal....
I was in a weird place when I saw it, landed the album back then. Man, that passacaglia DOES haunt!

There was an excellent, Long running thread at Moviemusuc.com called I Cant Sleep, all this type of chatter. Wish Peter Kelly hadn't closed his forum!

Absence of scoring especially in horror is definitely more effective.
I guess 'scary' music to me is something like Penderecki's hair-raising avant-garde stuff. His usage of high and low registers, shock chords and
aleatoricism are beautiful things, but fear is the only real emotion I get from those works.

John Powell's UNITED 93 gets an honorable mention is just being pure suspense and unease throughout, until that famous Emaj chord leads to an elegiac close. That film got to me, and Powell nailed the hell out of it.

-Sean

Posted:   Feb 12, 2024 - 3:36 PM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

Cheers folk…good to read some points.
I had a discussion with my mate about this on what makes music scary and just wanted to poise an example. A lot of folk thought the music in Kubrick’s The Shining was scary… but a lot of it is avant-garde classical selections. So when these pieces were first played in there original concert performances to an audience, did that audience come out and say the music was scary?
Anyway, i’m falling down a rabbit hole with this as everyone will have a different reaction.. but i do find it an interesting subject as i often can’t really think why I’d want to sit and listen to some of these scores..particularly the atonal, sound design stuff..but i do seem to.