Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 8:45 AM   
 By:   Alex Klein   (Member)

You're right. That's why she has a name actually, Edda Dell'Orso.

I adore her voice but you can't ignore millions of other, often uncredited, splendid voices.

Alex

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 8:49 AM   
 By:   Matt B   (Member)

I think John Williams is a male.

Doesn't matter as long as it's Arcturian. wink

On topic, though... I don't know about out-and-out sexy, but I've always found "Marian's Theme" to be really sultry and romantic and all that stuff.

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 8:50 AM   
 By:   Sehnsuchtshafen   (Member)

I adore her voice but you can't ignore millions of other, often uncredited, splendid voices.

Alex

She's the best, IMO.

Christiane Legrand has also a wonderful voice in our special department here.

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 8:55 AM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

The love scene music from "Presumed Innocent" is the only thing that comes to mind.

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 9:08 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I’ve always found John Williams’ music to be inherently unsexy

I've always found this deduction inherently incorrect wink

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 9:55 AM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

THE LONG GOODBYE
CINDERELLA LIBERTY
I PASSED FOR WHITE

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 10:32 AM   
 By:   plindboe   (Member)

...(the sexiest instrument is the woman's voice)...

This has got to be the sexiest film score cue in history: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B2wbxI6CWY&feature=related

Peter smile

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 10:37 AM   
 By:   shicorp   (Member)

I'm unaware of any Williams tracks of this sort (honestly - I'm no Williams expert either), but there is definitely something like "sexy music". How can't Bronislau Kaper's "Follow Me" be sexy, if Marlon Brando even gets the command to "make love to her"?
I also agree that many of Barry's lounge tracks would fit in here (not uncontroversial, though). Usually I'd mention the last bit of "Moon Buggy Ride" here, but the "new" track "Plenty, Then Tiffany" is an even better example - and how about the "Goldfinger" theme while Jill Masterson and Bond are having fun?

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 10:41 AM   
 By:   shicorp   (Member)

- Thunderball (all lounge tracks, traction table, the TITLE song, Bond meeys Domino)

I hope you are referring to the last sectionsmile

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 10:44 AM   

...(the sexiest instrument is the woman's voice)...

This has got to be the sexiest film score cue in history: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B2wbxI6CWY&feature=related

Peter smile

I prefer MADDALENA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-N9MmzRluU
(this concert version is only a pale shadow of the glorious original version sung by Edda)

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 10:44 AM   
 By:   spielboy   (Member)

Alex, for you, it seems Barry + sax x jazz = SEXIEST MUSIC. I dont always agree.

someone said DRACULA and it's a good point. Isnt the main theme a love torture & passion with an ORGASMIC crescendo till the climax when Dracula takes her and orchestra resolves? Think about it.

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 10:47 AM   

...someone said DRACULA and it's a good point. Isnt the main theme a love torture & passion with an ORGASMIC crescendo till the climax when Dracula takes her and orchestra resolves? Think about it.

Yes and no. I think that theme is too romantic and cerebral at the same time, IMO.

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 10:57 AM   

Alex, for you, it seems Barry + sax x jazz = SEXIEST MUSIC. I dont always agree.

Not always, but i'd say most of Barry's jazz cues do have a hint of eroticism. And like I said, it's all subjective. I've read stories of women having orgasms by simply listening to a blaster beam being played. I can't think of anyone who thinks of Star Trek as sexy music, but we'd all be surprised.

Alex

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 11:00 AM   

someone said DRACULA and it's a good point. Isnt the main theme a love torture & passion with an ORGASMIC crescendo till the climax when Dracula takes her and orchestra resolves? Think about it.

Dracula is dark romance, and it does have its hints of sex (after all, dark romances are usually charged with sex). Again, we're dealing with subjective views here. Some cues are straight-forward with sex, others are debatable (like Dracula and many of my Barry examples).

Alex

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 11:01 AM   

I hope you are referring to the last sectionsmile

Of course! Unless you see the traction table's movements like a sex maniac would.

Alex

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 11:03 AM   
 By:   Lester Sullivan   (Member)

Regarding Williams scores, I'd say that, generally, they are not sexy, with the major exception being "Dracula." With respect to scores that equal Barry's "Body Heat" in that regard, I'd suggest the great Jerry's "Chinatown." On the larger subject of sexiness in music, I don't think anyone can top the music of Arnold Bax. It fairly drips with sexy sensuality, and all of this from a guy who looked like a little owl, yet always had some nice-looking babe in his thrall. Sort of the Woody Allen of classical music, without the smarminess. As for the thread title, weird but attention getting.

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 11:13 AM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

I think the sexiest music Jerry did (that I have, at least) is the slinky and devious BASIC INSTINCT, especially the main titles. That just never gets old.

Let's not forget the fact that Jerry wrote the quintessential sex music for the scoring of the actual sex scenes. The throbbing, pulsing music builds and builds and builds until the explosive climax. Poifect for el sexo! Well, not while having sex, but it fits the mood of sex perfectly. If that makes any sense.

Case in point of the differences between Goldsmith's scoring style vs. Williams' scoring style. Williams scores the scenes as scenes, Goldsmith scored the experience of the characters. Maybe that's why we haven't gotten a ton of "sexy" Williams material.

I remember reading a post on some other forum where someone was asking whether or not people thought Jerry heard that music in his head while having sex post 1992. Weridest question ever. Sure makes you think though....

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 11:23 AM   
 By:   Sarge   (Member)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Love Theme from BLADE RUNNER. I'd put it on par with anything in BODY HEAT.

And before anyone gets on my case, I absolutely love the score to BODY HEAT...

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 12:41 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Hey, why is there so much talk about composers OTHER than Williams here? The topic starter asks specifically for WILLIAMS MUSIC that may be considered "sexy". Is it too much to ask that we stick to that as much as possible?

That said, I agree with Heath that it's impossible to say that music is sexy per se. Music is non-representational, especially outside its filmic context. It's the various connotations we tie to the musical structures and properties that we may consider sexy (just as we say that a flower hanging with its head looks "sad").

And of course, there are many types of musical conventions we consider "sexy". The sultry sax solo has been mentioned already.

In Williams' case, there are several alternatives. There's that swinging cocktail "lounge jazz" music from the 60's (PENELOPE, NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T, GUIDE FOR A MARRIED MAN etc.) that certainly has a sensual vibe to many. Then there are those orgasmic, "fat" and rolling chord progressions/orchestration that are found in THE FURY or DRACULA, as previously mentioned. WITCHES OF EASTWICK has a little bit of "wicked", humourous sensuality.

But I guess in general, you could say that Williams is more of a "love" guy than a "steamy, no-bars-hold screwing" kind of guy. smile

Good topic.

Posted:   Apr 23, 2008 - 12:47 PM   
 By:   Rnelson   (Member)

This thread title is... weird.