Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 3:40 PM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Ok, I do think you need to have at least one cue from one of two Tooms episodes of season 1 on this boxset as he is one of the best villains/monsters on the show IMO wink. here are my recommendations for season 1 (the ones I prioritize are in bold font):

Episode 01 'Deep throat'

00:05 opening cue (the armed breakin) cue of little over a minute

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Episode 02 'squeeze'

25:59 short cue supporting a montage of Mulder and Scully going through newspapers

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Episode 06 'Ghost in the Machine'

19:18 cue (marimba sound loop) of the system designer trying to hack into the system. He leaves his house and goes to the building, only to witness
his system killing an fbi agent. This long cue ends at 23:14

41:50 after the machine says "brad bye", there's a small piano loop followed by a more serious underscore as Mulder meets up with Deep Throat, the cue ends with harp plucks indicating the machine is still alive

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Episode 18 'Shadows'

Opening cue (The 'memoria' theme on the Truth and The Light compilation cd, without the dialogue over it)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Episode 20 'tooms'

First cue heard, starts off with violin synth and once Tooms' nametag on the door is visible transcends into a pizzicato violin plucking with menacing sounds over it culminating into mad pizzicato plucking, followed by deep bass to discover him in his cell
Picks back up when they do a closeup of him.

28:42 theme is reprised when scully discovers her sandwich is bitten from.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Episode 21 'born again'

36:21 Mulder and Scully looking at a monitor discovering evidence, this culminates into the danger theme

Thank you for letting us voice our wishlist, more to follow razz

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 4:07 PM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

OK it's been awhile, but this theme, as I recall, was only used in the later seasons, maybe beginning after the birth of Scully's child. It's simply a slow version of the X Files theme, but with a wordless female vocal. It was lovely and yeah, haunting. Good stuff. It may already be in the list from LaLa, but, damn I'd love to have it included. Maybe it was on the dialogue laden CD, which I've not listened to in ages.

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 4:09 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

OK it's been awhile, but this theme, as I recall, was only used in the later seasons, maybe beginning after the birth of Scully's child. It's simply a slow version of the X Files theme, but with a wordless female vocal... Maybe it was on the dialogue laden CD, which I've not listened to in ages.

Scully's theme was from much later in the show, definitely not on the Truth And The Light album. It definitely needs to be on this release!

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 5:01 PM   
 By:   tranzishun   (Member)

AWESOME. The list looks great! and i am very excited about the news of potential X-Files music releases in the future. Great job LA-LA. I will be purchasing asap!

Just curious but is the music from each episode like a suite or just of a particular section? (1 track per episode) or will there be multiple cues from a single episode?

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 5:03 PM   
 By:   DavidCorkum   (Member)

I've always liked the bad guy's theme from Season one's TOOMS and season five's KITSUNEGARI opening prison break sequence. But I can't help but think that even a 4-disc set will have trouble really doing justice to the entire 9-year effort by Mr. Snow. Maybe condensing the set to just the first year or two. Surely the sales will warrant a continued series of releases. It will be an important release regardless. But I hope that the really creepy stuff doesn't get swept aside in favor of the more pretty cues. X-Files did creepy better than any other show, only LOST is comparable in that regard.

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 6:23 PM   
 By:   mdh721   (Member)

I've always liked the bad guy's theme from Season one's TOOMS and season five's KITSUNEGARI opening prison break sequence. But I can't help but think that even a 4-disc set will have trouble really doing justice to the entire 9-year effort by Mr. Snow. Maybe condensing the set to just the first year or two. Surely the sales will warrant a continued series of releases. It will be an important release regardless. But I hope that the really creepy stuff doesn't get swept aside in favor of the more pretty cues. X-Files did creepy better than any other show, only LOST is comparable in that regard.

I really don't think the creepy cues are going to get shortchanged simply because that is what most of the show was. If anything there's a greater chance that more of Snow's beautifully melodic moments will not be included, which would be a shame.

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 7:14 PM   
 By:   Charles Thaxton   (Member)

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 7:28 PM   
 By:   JJH   (Member)

this is awesome, to say the least and I welcome it.

I was a loyal X-Files watcher till the bitter end, and was always wowed by the music.

I don't remember what it's called, but I particularly seem to remember some episode filmed in black and white, or at least part of it, IIRC.

well, whatever.

What ever comes I will be more than happy.

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 7:41 PM   
 By:   Charles Thaxton   (Member)

this is awesome, to say the least and I welcome it.

I was a loyal X-Files watcher till the bitter end, and was always wowed by the music.

I don't remember what it's called, but I particularly seem to remember some episode filmed in black and white, or at least part of it, IIRC.

well, whatever.

What ever comes I will be more than happy.

"The Post-Modern Prometheus"

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 8:15 PM   
 By:   TJ   (Member)

YES!

There is one cue that needs to be in the set. It was featured in The Truth And The Light but was marred with a dialogue snippet during its very end.

Its the final cue from the Season One episode Conduit, where Mulder is praying in the church.

Wasnt all the music from that dialogue disc included without dialogue on THE SNOW FILES?

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 8:17 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Glad to see "Young At Heart" being considered. I'd love to have that Omen-esque choir when Scully realizes she's not alone in her apartment preserved on CD.

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 8:56 PM   

Im very happy to see that Detour - one of my favorite episodes is on there! Another episode I'd like to see is "Darkness Falls" from Season 1. I definitely love the really atmospheric/creepy cues as well as the more melodic ones. If there are potential plans of future releases I don't see how doing them in volumes or by season could hurt, if anything it keeps us the buyer more interested and coming back for more. Would anyone object to a 9 or 10 disc set!? big grin

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 9:27 PM   
 By:   increbula   (Member)

"The Post-Modern Prometheus"

Of all the episodes in the series, I have been craving the music from this one the most...!

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 10:46 PM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

Im already marveling at the 2 cd set of THE FLASH and I cant wait to get this boxed set!

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 11:10 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

Wasnt all the music from that dialogue disc included without dialogue on THE SNOW FILES?

Are you really going to argue the point of rerecordings on *this* board?

Posted:   Mar 13, 2010 - 11:12 PM   

thought of another to add.

The Season 9 opening theme. 9 seasons and the opening virtually never changed until this slightly newer sounding version.

Posted:   Mar 14, 2010 - 1:35 AM   
 By:   groovemeister   (Member)

As long as the music for the sequence where the 'army' is hunting for the alien at night before getting burned from 'Fallen Angel' is represented...I will be forever grateful. I cannot wait for this release!

Indeed, this for me was the episode where the music from the X-Files really caught my attention. Looking forward to hearing music from this episode on CD.

Posted:   Mar 14, 2010 - 6:34 AM   
 By:   fommes   (Member)

First of all: thanks very much for the sneak peek and the opportunity to add our favourites! I'm a huge fan of The X-Files and its music, and I can say that the bulk of music I want is represented on your set already.
Besides the trademark atmospheric music and the beautiful melodies, there's a third facet of Snow's music, I think, that's frequently overlooked and which I particularly like: that's his 'travel' and/or 'montage' music, often underscoring Mulder and Scully or other people walking from one place to another while driving, trekking, doing short actions with the camera tracking them, etc. Not surprisingly then, Triangle (which consists of a lot of Scully walking here and there, and Mulder getting dragged somewhere) is probably my favourite score, with Snow's music really being the binding element so that the real-time camera movements don't get dull. I really hope you can include if not the whole score, a great bulk of it (and not just the two finale cues, the Swing Swing Swing homage and the piano cue at the end, which are great of course, but also this 'travelling' theme/motif that's featured throughout the episode). Another great instance of this sort of music is the episode that precedes it, Drive. A lot of exciting driving music there (e.g. in Mulder's climactic 'drive' towards the ocean), but also a haunting motif when Scully is investigating the Crump residence.

So, some of my favourite music that may have been left off and which I'd love to have on the set, are exactly in this vein (and they're usually quite short, to boot!):

- The piano 'travelling' theme from season 1, in particular from Deep Throat: around the 31-minute mark, Mulder walking from the fence towards the basis through the fields. Very short, but really represents the Season 1 music quite well. I vaguely remember that it pops up in at least another Season 1 episode, but can't remember which one. Perhaps you know.

- Nisei: the piano motif in the train station near the end of the episode (which was featured on the OST but with dialogue over it); if possible with the unreleased second part of that cue.
- Also: the short cue when Mulder walks on top of the train in the sequel episode 731, which isn't on the set yet. It comes right after the main titles.

- Gethsemane! I really hope that's not left out, there's a lot of great 'mountain trek' music, and a lot of 'epic dramatic' underscore there.

- The (JFK-like) theme/motif from The Pine Bluff Variant. It's nicely featured in the prologue, but it's at its most exciting somewhere in the finale if I remember correctly.

That's pretty much it right now. Somebody already mentioned "Synchrony", too, and I like the theme for the girlfriend scientist there (particularly, if I recall properly that is, during some chase moment). There's also a nice piano chase motif in E.B.E., when Mulder and Scully are chasing the truck near the finale, but that's perhaps better suited for a second set. Fingers crossed!

Thanks very much again, LaLaLand! Really looking forward to this.

Posted:   Mar 14, 2010 - 10:11 AM   
 By:   Grozebear   (Member)

All this talk about the music is getting me excited to re-watch the series! Time to break out the ole DVDs! Thanks MV - whatever you guys end up releasing, it will be greatly appreciated!

Posted:   Mar 14, 2010 - 11:43 AM   
 By:   Martin B.   (Member)

I guess this shows that there is too much good stuff for just one volume so it might be best to leave some of the good bits for volume 2 (trouble is with that is if there is no volume 2 then some good music is left unreleased)