Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 17, 2023 - 1:07 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

The score to "Avatar" was recorded after the AFM re-use fees ere changed again and made higher, making it financially unfeasible to recoup costs on an expansion. The change happened sometime 2005, as I recall Lukas talking about here. That's why no many scores recorded in the U.S. after 2005, get expansions. For what ever the reasons, it does happen (maybe some are deemed to make money back, many financers backing titles, maybe some people just take the hit, etc.).

Posted:   Jul 17, 2023 - 3:01 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

No offense to the composer, but he is no James Horner and there is the special magic missing from it.

I disagree that it's lacking in magic. To be honest I overall prefer this score to the original score. The themes feel fresher, whereas Horner was reusing some of his favorite melodies (i.e. Glory). I'm honestly blown away at how someone relatively new to composing large scale film music has mastered the art so impressively.

That said, of course Horner's own "spark" is missing...Franglen is a different composer! But to me, he has his own brand of special magic quite in evidence here.

One could say of John Williams, "he is no Jerry Goldsmith", or of Goldsmith, "he is no John Williams"... but I'm not sure how that statement is useful. Why not appreciate artists for who/what they ARE, rather than complaining they aren't someone else?

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 17, 2023 - 4:05 PM   
 By:   jwb1   (Member)

I disagree that it's lacking in magic. To be honest I overall prefer this score to the original score. The themes feel fresher, whereas Horner was reusing some of his favorite melodies (i.e. Glory). I'm honestly blown away at how someone relatively new to composing large scale film music has mastered the art so impressively.

That said, of course Horner's own "spark" is missing...Franglen is a different composer! But to me, he has his own brand of special magic quite in evidence here.

Absurd. There is hardly anything worth while that is new here or memorable. There are a few nice moments here and there. Nothing Alan Williams didn't do a long time ago with Amazon. The action music is completely dull, except for the moments that are clearly taken from the first Avatar score.

Nearly everything in the original Avatar score one can easily remember. The sound scape in the first Avatar score was entirely fresh. Yes, there are the typical Horner-isms, but even with that James had an amazing ability to make it sound fresh. And Avatar was certainly one of his most memorable scores in a long time.

One could say of John Williams, "he is no Jerry Goldsmith", or of Goldsmith, "he is no John Williams"... but I'm not sure how that statement is useful. Why not appreciate artists for who/what they ARE, rather than complaining they aren't someone else?
Yavar

Another absurd statement. Franglen is also no Williams or Goldsmith. However, Williams and Goldsmith are equally on par and amazing artists with unique voices. Franglen is just impersonating Horner. But that was his job. Hopefully he can find his own voice eventually with other projects.

Posted:   Jul 17, 2023 - 5:10 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I don’t hear an impersonation of Horner throughout most of this score. I hear a different composer, with some wonderful nods and homages to Horner at times.

You know that in matters of taste we are allowed to disagree and you don’t need to label my statements as “absurd” just because you had a different reaction to a score, right? roll eyes

To me, the original Avatar was very well composed (as usual for Horner), and had a couple great highlights which sure, maybe the sequel score doesn’t quite reach. But it also had a lot (and I mean A LOT) of retreading familiar ground. Ironically, the sequel score is more fresh to my ears. It could have easily been a Ken Thorne/Superman II situation of Franglen just applying Horner’s original themes in new filmic contexts and fitting it all to picture. But it goes far, far beyond that. Franglen’s new family/Payakan/water Na’Vi themes are all terrific, to my ears, and I’m glad that they don’t just remind me of other scores I like better (ie Glory).

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 19, 2023 - 3:17 PM   
 By:   hollywoodvegas   (Member)

I would think one of the main reasons CD sales are down are that labels are not releasing CDs. You can't sell what you don't produce. Now that this has been a sustained effort to not produce the product, people are getting their music through other means out of necessity.

Tell me, why exactly would they do that? They were making a mint off CD sales. Why would they choose to stop?

Nobody I know outside of this board – absolutely nobody, of any age – misses CDs. Not one. (Caveat: I don't know everybody in the world. I only know the people I know.) Honestly, I have no affection for CDs anymore, except that they make a lot of the specialty releases I love possible.

Because they overreacted to the impact of Napster, iTunes, and streaming. This also forced retailers to do the same. The record companies also knew they could make money on streaming and not pay the artist. Case in point Original Beach Boy David Marks just had his lawsuit for streaming royalties thrown out because the contract, signed in 1972, was silent on streaming.

I like a wide array of music and there is a subsection of each group that still like CDs. It is a niche product at this point and that was an inevitability, but that doesn't mean you stop producing it. Just figure out how it works and do that.

Disney missed the boat on an Avatar disc and extremely under produced the Indiana Jones.

Posted:   Nov 1, 2023 - 9:47 AM   
 By:   SingingObelisk   (Member)

A CD of the score is by Simon Franglen is scheduled for release on November 17, 2023 by Hollywood Records.

Posted:   Nov 1, 2023 - 10:02 AM   
 By:   ryanpaquet   (Member)

Which means it won't be a DME exclusive - which is great. Not seeing it showing up at any retailers yet though.

Posted:   Nov 1, 2023 - 10:58 AM   
 By:   JonesIndiana01   (Member)

https://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Water-Simon-Franglen-Weeknd/dp/B0BNQL18K5/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=I08K26VT1LJQ&keywords=simon+franglen+avatar&qid=1698861424&sprefix=%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-3

Amazon.com gives you the cd option now, which wasn't the case last time I checked (a couple of weeks ago, I admit).

Posted:   Nov 1, 2023 - 11:10 AM   
 By:   keky   (Member)

Great news, I've been waiting for it since last year. But I will only believe it when it's in my CD player. smile

Posted:   Nov 1, 2023 - 12:58 PM   
 By:   jwb1   (Member)

Its apparently 4CDs worth according to Franglen. But what about Horner's first film score?!

Posted:   Nov 2, 2023 - 12:49 AM   
 By:   AdoKrycha007   (Member)

No, it's not 4CD. He deleted the post and apologised for the misrepresentation.

Posted:   Nov 5, 2023 - 10:07 AM   

Is there any info on this planned Nov. 17 CD release beyond the short news on filmmusicreporter.com? So far I haven't found anything.

Posted:   Nov 5, 2023 - 10:22 PM   
 By:   BrenKel   (Member)

Very much looking forward to getting this on cd. It’s a score that certainly deserves a physical release.

I wonder if it will be a single or double cd release and will Simon Franglen have made any tweaks, added any additional music.

Posted:   Nov 6, 2023 - 5:53 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Is there any info on this planned Nov. 17 CD release beyond the short news on filmmusicreporter.com? So far I haven't found anything.

Well, it's up for pre-order on multiple websites, and Franglen confirmed its real on twitter, does that help?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNQL18K5
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Simon-Franglen-Avatar-The-Way-Of-Water-CD/2697823089
https://twitter.com/simonfranglen/status/1719866764362715268

Posted:   Nov 6, 2023 - 6:06 AM   

Thanks. The Franglen X link gives me the most hope because amazon and other stores listed the CD for months last year as well without it actually having been released. Hopefully this time we won't be disappointed.

Posted:   Nov 13, 2023 - 10:41 AM   
 By:   RustyNail   (Member)

Deep Discount Preorder

https://www.deepdiscount.com/simon-franglen-avatar-the-way-of-water/050087517274?gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8eqBhD3ARIsAIe-buOkneyTZG-AWkJxXxc5uaCAkokQJjt5Z0oQldy_OkMGLqZGB5ZUUW4aAsWBEALw_wcB#!?tabnum=2

Tracklist listed is the same as the LP.

Posted:   Nov 14, 2023 - 6:21 AM   
 By:   Mathew   (Member)

Deep discount and other retailers lists the CD as a Limited Edtion. Why am I getting some Indy 5 vibes?

Posted:   Nov 15, 2023 - 5:34 PM   
 By:   David-R.   (Member)

Deep discount and other retailers lists the CD as a Limited Edtion. Why am I getting some Indy 5 vibes?

Yeah, Amazon says that too.. may as well go ahead and make sure I don't miss out. Sigh. I hate this new game of brand new issues selling out immediately.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 6:12 AM   

Yeah, Amazon says that too.. may as well go ahead and make sure I don't miss out. Sigh. I hate this new game of brand new issues selling out immediately.

Where do you see that on Amazon? All I can see about the CD is it's "Currently unavailable". Actually I can't find the CD at all on most sites so I'm just wondering about tomorrow's release date...

Posted:   Nov 16, 2023 - 6:24 AM   
 By:   ryanpaquet   (Member)

Yeah I echo what's been said above - only seeing it on deepdiscount for pre-order and one ebay seller in the UK also has it listed for a very high price.

Also seeing it here:
https://www.ccmusic.com/simon-franglen-avatar-the-way-of-water/050087517274

Showing up at Tower Records in Japan too with different track listing:
https://tower.jp/item/5619983/Avatar%EF%BC%9A-The-Way-Of-Water