Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 16, 2024 - 7:34 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Yup, the 24th title in the series (21st by La-La Land)

What an accomplishment!

Posted:   Jun 16, 2024 - 11:28 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

I've not read all 9 pages of this thread, so I may not be the first here to mention one of my holiest of grails: The Johnny Williams scores for the two-season "Alcoa Premiere." That was where I fell in love with this composer's work. Because it was an anthology series, imagine the wonder of hearing a brand new John Williams film score every week, and each one better than the last.

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 9:04 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

A Williams Alcoa release would be AMAZING, if tapes still survive in the Universal vaults...

Yavar

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 12:48 PM   
 By:   Sartoris   (Member)

What is this John Williams ALCOA thing? Never heard anything of it...
Could you elaborate I would be delighted....

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 10:19 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoa_Premiere

Because I loved Fred Astaire, I tuned in from the first episode, recording them all on my Wollensak reel-to-reel tape machine. Almost immediately I was struck by the excellence of Johnny Williams' music, always different but always perfect for each particular story and characters. I can still hum you any number of his themes, from a lilting folklike Irish melody to a rambunctious piece of Americana for a broken down jalopy.

(To give you an indication of how long ago this was, in the play called "The Voice of Charlie Pont," Robert Redford was the jealous schnook husband and Bradford Dillman was the hot ladies' man making time with his wife.)

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 1:19 AM   
 By:   Zoragoth   (Member)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoa_Premiere

Because I loved Fred Astaire, I tuned in from the first episode, recording them all on my Wollensak reel-to-reel tape machine. Almost immediately I was struck by the excellence of Johnny Williams' music, always different but always perfect for each particular story and characters. I can still hum you any number of his themes, from a lilting folklike Irish melody to a rambunctious piece of Americana for a broken down jalopy.

(To give you an indication of how long ago this was, in the play called "The Voice of Charlie Pont," Robert Redford was the jealous schnook husband and Bradford Dillman was the hot ladies' man making time with his wife.)

Aha - great casting - I love Brad Dillman! Redford couldn't have carried PIRANHA.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 4:29 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

We all want ALCOA. It's my second most wanted Williams item after STORY OF A WOMAN. I go through everything that's available to hear in one form or another in this second episode of "The Complete John Williams Television Music Walkthrough" webcast series:

https://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tunes-75-the-complete-john-williams-television-music-walkthrough-part-2-25th-international-edition/