Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 10, 2021 - 8:30 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

JTP, what a delightful and creative poem. Bravo!

Posted:   Jun 10, 2021 - 8:45 PM   
 By:   townerbarry   (Member)

The Film Version of Under Fire.

Posted:   Jul 8, 2021 - 2:23 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

It seems that the old (over 16.5 years ago now!) LLL expansion of Extreme Prejudice may not have been fully complete after all.... Intrada just announced a 2 CD set!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8749

Presumably the original album will be included as well. I've had many people tell me they preferred the way that played to the LLL release, so I guess it's good that Jerry's original preferred album will be represented too.

This has never been a favorite of mine to be honest, but since Intrada has an important history with the score and it's been over 16 years since the last time it got released, I'm very glad they are revisiting it now, over 34 years after they put out the original album with Jerry, back in their infancy! Perhaps as with the 2 CD Quartet Records edition of Total Recall, I will finally after many years click with this score which so many of my fellow fans seem to love more than I do...

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 8, 2021 - 2:36 PM   
 By:   Ray1992   (Member)

Interesting... roll eyes

Posted:   Jul 8, 2021 - 2:57 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

It seems that the old (over 16.5 years ago now!) LLL expansion of Extreme Prejudice may not have been fully complete after all.... Intrada just announced a 2 CD set!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8749

Presumably the original album will be included as well. I've had many people tell me they preferred the way that played to the LLL release, so I guess it's good that Jerry's original preferred album will be represented too.

This has never been a favorite of mine to be honest, but since Intrada has an important history with the score and it's been over 16 years since the last time it got released, I'm very glad they are revisiting it now, over 34 years after they put out the original album with Jerry, back in their infancy! Perhaps as with the 2 CD Quartet Records edition of Total Recall, I will finally after many years click with this score which so many of my fellow fans seem to love more than I do...

Yavar

Soundtrack sense tingling: I predict that you will come to love this driving, muscular, powerful score.

I've got some errands to run (on foot) and I'll be playing this one the whole way for the massive amount of forward momentum in it.

Oh, and FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC news from Intrada.

Posted:   Aug 24, 2021 - 3:57 PM   

I want to write a poem for Yavar that incorporates titles from Jerry Goldsmith scores.

Lonely Are the Brave, Shamus
The Public Eye that sees One Little Indian...

Don't give up your day job just yet.
On the other hand, I completely share your enthusiasm. This is an unparalleled epoch for Goldsmith fans.

Haha. I was just being silly, not really thinking about it but dashing off a little bit. Maybe I should've added an emoticon. :b That said, I am very impressed by Jurassic's poetic tribute to my love of Jerry's music. (Sorry for not saying so sooner, J -- I've had a swamped couple of months and kinda forgot about this thread.)

Soundtrack sense tingling: I predict that you will come to love this driving, muscular, powerful score.

I don't know that I'm quite there yet, but Intrada pulling out all the later synth re-scores into a separate section really did wonders for Jerry's original work. And also the Soundtrack Spotlight episode that my colleagues Jens and David did with Doug Fake and John Takis really turned out great, and has definitely been helping me click with the score more. I really love Cash's Theme and how it develops throughout the score, and I appreciate the score's architecture a lot more now, in large part thanks to the podcast ep:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8913325-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-extreme-prejudice-1987

Oh, and FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC news from Intrada.

Speaking of which, it doesn't get much more FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC than this news:
1) Intrada began a Kickstarter over two weeks ago, to record the remaining two totally unreleased Jerry Goldsmith scores heard in theaters, BLACK PATCH and THE MAN.
2) The campaign amazingly hit 50% funding just after the 24 hour mark, and passed 100% funding before the halfway mark (15 days). It's gonna happen! Next year we will have a great sounding album of William Stromberg conducting the Royal Scottish National Orchestra in two otherwise-lost wonderful Goldsmith scores!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129145902/black-patch-the-man-jerry-goldsmith-new-recording

What a wonderful way to follow up their great run of five Goldsmith film score premieres over the past year or so.

Yavar

Posted:   Aug 29, 2021 - 1:06 PM   

And the Goldsmith deluge continues...I had written:
"Love Field (Varese / Orion-->?) -- This was a substantially rejected score, with cues appearing in the film and not on the album, and vice versa. Check out this tantalizing thread at the Intrada forum where both Roger and Doug chime in about what unreleased riches might be found. At the bottom of this thread I also post a complete official cue list, which seems to confirm some music being left off both the film and the album: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7704&sid=e4b531e2d606fba6d95926ce131a1d8e"

We now know just how much Goldsmith score was missing: almost half! Premiering on Varese's new Deluxe Edition are over 26 minutes of new score which do a great job of fleshing out this lovely work (the original album was a particularly paltry 28.5 minutes and felt very disjointed IMO). 10.5 of those minutes are just the cue "Lost Luggage" (which actually was not on the original album at all -- the cue titled that on the old album is correctly labeled "The Accident" here), one of Goldsmith's longest cues which goes from delicacy to thrilling action and everything in between. There's also a ton of variety in the rest of the previously unreleased cues, and I for one am even glad the 17 minutes of Bill Payne solo piano replacement score is included. It's lovely stuff and plays well as a "bonus album" at the end of the 55 minute Goldsmith score, kinda like how on the recent CaboBlanco the source music suite plays well as its own follow-up album after the Goldsmith score program.

Yavar