Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 6:41 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

It was What was the funniest post Graham watt ever posted?!! And no one chose the same one! big grin

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 6:43 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

Sorry I missed this one again - Sundays are out for me, at least for the time being. Anyway, without spilling private beans...Bill, what was your question? You might even want to start a thread on it (?)

Well, Graham, my answer ... actually two (as most others also) ... were:

Enigma (1983) - Marc Wilkinson (with Douglas Gamley) - song (omitted from film): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09DGz2ckG4 ... the non-vocal version is superb!
and
Game, Set & Match (1988) - Richard Harvey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIpMHu3Dhd0

Mitch

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 6:44 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

It was What was the funniest post Graham watt ever posted?!! And no one chose the same one! big grin

Well that's that then. Cheers Bill!

ADDED A BIT LATER - Ah, so MidgieMad caught you out! Now I just have to gues the question...

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 6:56 AM   

ADDED A BIT LATER - Ah, so MidgieMad caught you out! Now I just have to gues the question...

Yes, 'fraid we were posting concurrently ...

Many answers were beyond my knowledge but two I did know: Caravans (1978) - Mike Batt and The Thirty Nine Steps (1978) - Ed Welch

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 6:59 AM   

Hung out to dry by the midgemeister! big grin

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 7:02 AM   

Hung out to dry by the midgemeister! big grin

Hey, I was playing along ... I thought the question was: name a film score never mentioned by the guy from Glasgow who prefers the sunshine ... (and no, I'm not referring to Sean ... whoever)smile

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 7:45 AM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

"...so obscure that I only remember his first name, Milton--"
TERRA EPON: I'll look it up...Milton Rosen.
"Yes, that's it!"
---MOMENTS LATER---
"Carmen Dragon. The opening credits are out on youtube, that's most of the music..."
YAVAR: I'll check...I see the whole film is there, not opening only."
"Of course, my bad. But watch those first couple minutes."

Instantaneous info right at your (or someone else's) fingertips. Real time right in front of your eyes. A live thread broadcast. Never ceases to amaze. cool

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 9:02 AM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

Damn, wish I had been able to make this one.

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 9:30 AM   
 By:   cinemel1255   (Member)

Yes, 'fraid we were posting concurrently ...

Many answers were beyond my knowledge but two I did know: Caravans (1978) - Mike Batt and The Thirty Nine Steps (1978) - Ed Welch

Meeting was wonderful, never a disappointment. I always loved Caravans. Never saw the film. It doesn’t have a great reputation. I’m not even sure if I have Caravans on LP or CD. I’ll have to check and give it a listen.

Stephen’s out of the box question to all of us was a great idea.

Wonderful to see Ron Pullman. His posts are always illuminating. Please continue to join our Zoom, Ron. I love that you noticed my Raintree County 2 LP album in the background. I try to put up something interesting every week.

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 9:58 AM   
 By:   Bond1965   (Member)

Here are a couple of clips from those last minute albums I spoke about:

DER ZAUBERBERG by Jurgen Kneiper (I think this may be available as digital version but not the best quality):

https://youtu.be/L0sgud7osvI

https://youtu.be/VRXSe5EX_lo

THE 4TH MAN by Loek Dikker:

https://youtu.be/a5_5zqAIeMY

A FORTUNATE LIFE by Mario Millo (I could only find the beautiful song with vocals and lyrics by Jon English):

https://youtu.be/UNd0HnTjbAc

James

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 10:40 AM   
 By:   amatalqa   (Member)

Great seeing everyone, and thanks for all the great suggestions. I've been working while feasting on Presiner scores this morning.

I wanted to do a shameless plug and forgot, so here it is: my first film, Captain Abu Raed, which won the Audience prize at Sundance in 2008 is now available on Amazon Prime in the US, UK, and Canada. We recorded the score with the Hollywood Studio Symphony at Warner Bros. I've made four films and a TV show since, but this is the one I would plug before others. Hope you enjoy.

Amin

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 11:26 AM   

Cheers amin. Hope its a big success.

Bond i listened to clips, the loek dikker is intriguing. The first part - the horns - reminded me of what, im not sure, possibly Moross' Warlord, dunno, and the last part was Williamsesque/hint of desplat maybe. But i liked.

Here's my choice. Operation daybreak by David Hentschel, the true story of Czech paratroopers assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in prague. This is the main title where Heydrich is being dressed in uniform in the morning and the end theme was the love theme, but also used to show what happened to all the real players in the movie, quite poignant as most were shot by gestapo etc.

And here's dark of the sun main titles from the movie, by jacques loussier. You can possibly see why at the intro that at age 14, i thought it was morricone!

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 11:52 AM   

While we're at it, here is Saul's choice...
Ladies and gentlemen, Dusan Radic..!!

Based on the music, who could see those opening credits and not wanna see this movie??! (To be fair, movie was average with some very strange performances, James Mason doing a chinaman and Robert Morley as the chinese emperor sounding like he'd just come from eton, but nevertheless, great score, Saul.

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 12:14 PM   
 By:   amatalqa   (Member)

Here's Wynton Marsalis' All Rise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ep5UxidC1k&t=2637s
The whole thing is great, but my favorite piece that just blows me away and is the reason I recommend this to all film music lovers is the movement at 44:10. Jump to that marker first then listen to the whole thing. It's superb!
LA Phil with the Lincoln Jazz Orchestra with a massive choir and Brazillian percussion. I don't know what more one could wish for?
Enjoy

Posted:   Aug 24, 2020 - 12:24 PM   

Cor yeah the beat of the section at 44 is infectious and great. Thats the sort of jazz i can cope with Amin!

Posted:   Aug 25, 2020 - 10:06 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Yes, was great seeing you guys! Great to have a "round question" again; first thing I did was to seek out "All Rise" by Wynton Marsalis thanks to Amin bringing it up. Excellent album! Lots of good suggestions.

Posted:   Aug 25, 2020 - 11:41 AM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

A few weeks back the Gerhardt releases of various scores were discussed and much love was expressed for these versions. I was motivated to pick up a new copy of The Sea Hawk with music from several of Korngold's scores. I am loving it. There's much to be said for rediscovery.

I've always been a Korngold fan but now will look for full length, quality versions of some of these. I also want to look further into Gerhardt versions beyond what I have.

Posted:   Aug 25, 2020 - 1:36 PM   
 By:   George Flaxman   (Member)

Here's my choice. Operation daybreak by David Hentschel, the true story of Czech paratroopers assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in prague. This is the main title where Heydrich is being dressed in uniform in the morning and the end theme was the love theme, but also used to show what happened to all the real players in the movie, quite poignant as most were shot by gestapo etc.

Bill, I visited Prague a few years ago and visited the church where the resistance members were cornered. It was a moving experience, but the church used in the film was located in Finland I think, but anyways not in Prague. It was a fantastic relentless sequence with lots of very matter of fact footage. It felt almost brutal. I also got to drive near to the location of the assassination, but that whole area had been redeveloped.

Posted:   Aug 25, 2020 - 1:47 PM   

Interesting George, thanks for that.
Never been to prague. It appeals.

Posted:   Aug 25, 2020 - 1:59 PM   
 By:   George Flaxman   (Member)

A lot of Prague seemed to still feel like the Russians and Germans were still around, particularly in the suburbs. The people are friendly. I stayed with family members of a friend and asked about the war, e.t.c. I was a bit perplexed that the Czech people do not celebrated Armistice Day (11th November). As part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1918 their war ended some weeks before, and nowadays people just visit graves at cemeteries quietly and peacefully, with no fuss. They still have a monthly air-raid siren test, in case the Russians come back and they need to resist.