Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 11, 2021 - 9:16 AM   
 By:   robertolopes   (Member)

I will only buy hi-res downloads. 24 bit, 96kHz or higher ripped from the original tapes (when from analog recordings - there has been a time that all we have is 16 Bit 44.1kHz and it won’t get any better because it has been recorded that way, unfortunately).

Intrada has taken the first step with Inchon. I believe this is the future.

I will never buy lossy files. Ever.

Posted:   Apr 5, 2021 - 11:00 AM   
 By:   guyatkings   (Member)

New batch of Varese releases now available for digital purchase:
https://twitter.com/VareseSarabande/status/1379122995474489344

Question for those who've bit in the past: if you purchase directly from Varese or through iTunes, does it come with a digital version of the booklet/liner notes?

Posted:   Apr 5, 2021 - 2:01 PM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

New batch of Varese releases now available for digital purchase:
https://twitter.com/VareseSarabande/status/1379122995474489344

Question for those who've bit in the past: if you purchase directly from Varese or through iTunes, does it come with a digital version of the booklet/liner notes?

nice but we don't have these up here yet in Canada.

Posted:   Apr 5, 2021 - 5:52 PM   
 By:   Saul Pincus   (Member)

nice but we don't have these up here yet in Canada.

Actually, we do! Try https://ca.7digital.com for the CD-quality versions.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2021 - 7:49 AM   
 By:   jonathan_little   (Member)

Woo, three CDs I didn't buy that I can now download from Qobuz. Even better, I can remove the previous non-deluxe CD versions from my shelf and sell/donate those.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2021 - 9:04 AM   
 By:   Sean Nethery   (Member)

Grateful especially for Looney Tunes Back in Action. I'm not much for that kind of antic all-over-the-place music, however expertly done, but now I can hear it in full - or in small doses - without having to invest in something I don't really want.

On the other hand, not bothered at all about buying the Goldsmith thriller deluxe editions - those are go to's for me, so happy to show support for Varese on the items I care about most.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2021 - 8:47 PM   
 By:   Nathan Erickson   (Member)

Went to add some of these titles to my Apple Music library and finding they are no longer available to add. Is anyone else having this issue??

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 5:32 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Just noticed that a hi-res download of THE BURBS Deluxe Edition has appeared. 24-bit 48kHz. Available at Qobuz Store

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the-burbs-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-jerry-goldsmith/oqkfm175n4qnb

Qobuz says released November 2018 by Back Lot Music. Though Film Music Site is reporting September 2021.

So literally brand new?

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 5:59 AM   
 By:   jkannry   (Member)

I’m finding the whole thing confusing. Varese is releasing everyone of these albums in Lossless format including ALAC. Yet when you look on iTunes there’s no indication that these albums are in lossless format. They don’t have the Hi-Res or Lossless designation. Does that mean iTunes hasn’t caught up labeling, Varese hasn’t caught up uploading them to iTunes, or Varese will sell all the Hi-Res lossless exclusively on their site?

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 9:37 AM   
 By:   W. David Lichty [Lorien]   (Member)

I’m finding the whole thing confusing. Varese is releasing everyone of these albums in Lossless format including ALAC. Yet when you look on iTunes there’s no indication that these albums are in lossless format. They don’t have the Hi-Res or Lossless designation. Does that mean iTunes hasn’t caught up labeling, Varese hasn’t caught up uploading them to iTunes, or Varese will sell all the Hi-Res lossless exclusively on their site?

It's possible that the audio files are hi-res filetypes, but the music within is no different than the great sound you get from your CD (if you have one, and if it's always been out of your reach, then what a great thing this is!). Perhaps Itunes is verifying the audio itself, not just the kinds of files being provided, and are making sure that you know what you're getting by not calling the audio something it isn't. That's just a guess, but it would put Itunes above the pack on the integrity scale.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 9:45 AM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

iTunes doesn't sell ALAC or any other lossless files. Apple's hi rez audio is through Apple Music streaming (by subscription) only.

Also read Tom's original post carefully. Those scores are all available for STREAMING and some of them are available for DOWNLOAD. Two different sets of rights to negotiate with the unions. Downloading rights are much harder to get.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 5:04 PM   
 By:   jkannry   (Member)

iTunes doesn't sell ALAC or any other lossless files. Apple's hi rez audio is through Apple Music streaming (by subscription) only.

Also read Tom's original post carefully. Those scores are all available for STREAMING and some of them are available for DOWNLOAD. Two different sets of rights to negotiate with the unions. Downloading rights are much harder to get.

>> iTunes doesn't sell ALAC or any other lossless files. Apple's hi res audio is through Apple Music streaming (by subscription) only.

Except in iTunes store where purchase for download it says hi-res and /or lossless. Mostly new but some old. Again its the download store.

>> Those scores are all available for STREAMING and some of them are available for DOWNLOAD
Except all the ones listed were available for digital download. In the iTunes Store. They are not listed as Hi-Red or lossless. Go to the Varese site for a different price they are all available as Lossless or hi-res and lossless except for Crisis and The Trial of the Chicago Seven. They are for download.

My question remains which is are these Lossless copies uploaded to iTunes store or do they have intention of doing so? Or do you just have to buy from the Varese site to get lossless hi-res ALAC (Apple standard)?

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 5:32 PM   

Where does it say iTunes sells lossless files? Apple Music offers hi res for streaming but not for download via iTunes.

Varese is selling hi res files directly from their site and delivering the files via email. That's not iTunes selling them.

The links above take you to where SOME of the Deluxe Editions can be bought from iTunes but there is no claim that they are hi res. I'm not aware of ANY titles that can be bought via iTunes in ALAC. Played back, yes, but not purchased in the iTunes Store. That's a long-standing Apple policy.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 5:55 PM   
 By:   thx99   (Member)

Varese is selling hi res files directly from their site and delivering the files via email. That's not iTunes selling them.

Despite Varese’s claims of selling “hi-res” audio, I don’t believe that any of the digital offerings on their site are advertised as such, and at least one buyer responded to their Facebook announcement that the files he bought ended up being CD-quality and not hi-res.

Caveat emptor…

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 6:08 PM   

Despite Varese’s claims of selling “hi-res” audio, I don’t believe that any of the digital offerings on their site are advertised as such, and at least one buyer responded to their Facebook announcement that the files he bought ended up being CD-quality and not hi-res.

Caveat emptor…

I'd be curious which title that was. Some, like THE MATRIX, were mastered in 16-bit 44.1 kHz so that's the best it will ever be. I imagine that could be true of other scores from that time period as well.

There's a difference between "lossless" (that is, uncompressed) and "hi res" (generally 48kHz or better) audio files but the industry hasn't officially certified the terms. In the case of THE MATRIX you could have an "uncompressed" file that's not generally considered "hi res" but there's no way to ever produce a "hi res" file from THE MATRIX. And here's the dirty little secret: all FLAC and ALAC files are compressed: they're half the size of the uncompressed .wav music masters, so "lossless" is a misnomer in any case.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 6:35 PM   

I'd be curious which title that was. Some, like THE MATRIX, were mastered in 16-bit 44.1 kHz so that's the best it will ever be. I imagine that could be true of other scores from that time period as well.

Goldsmith’s The Haunting.

There's a difference between "lossless" (that is, uncompressed) and "hi res" (generally 48kHz or better) audio files but the industry hasn't officially certified the terms. In the case of THE MATRIX you could have an "uncompressed" file that's not generally considered "hi res" but there's no way to ever produce a "hi res" file from THE MATRIX. And here's the dirty little secret: all FLAC and ALAC files are compressed: they're half the size of the uncompressed .wav music masters, so "lossless" is a misnomer in any case.

Agree on everything except your first and last comments. Lossless does not equate to uncompressed. There is a difference. FLAC and ALAC are lossless, in the sense that the uncompressed audio can be decoded from them without loss. Think of them as ZIP compression for audio; unzipping a file results in a perfect copy of your original file. Whereas original uncompressed audio cannot be decoded from a “lossy” compressed file (e.g., MP3, AAC).

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 6:40 PM   

Agree on everything except your first and last comments. Lossless does not equate to uncompressed. There is a difference. FLAC and ALAC are lossless, in the sense that the uncompressed audio can be derived from them without loss. Think of them as ZIP compression for audio; unzipping a file results in a perfect copy of your original file. Whereas original uncompressed audio cannot be decoded from a “lossy” compressed file (e.g., MP3, AAC).

Fair enough, but there are varying degrees of FLAC encoding and although the final result is a perfect copy of the original I still don't like the term "uncompressed" or "lossless" (or "hi res") because it's more a marketing term than an accurate description of how the algorithm works.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 7:25 PM   

Fair enough, but there are varying degrees of FLAC encoding and although the final result is a perfect copy of the original I still don't like the term "uncompressed" or "lossless" (or "hi res") because it's more a marketing term than an accurate description of how the algorithm works.

Agree. “Uncompressed” and “lossless” refer generally to how the audio is encoded, but not what the sampling rate or bit depth actually are. You can have uncompressed 8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit, and so on, at any sampling rate. And you can losslessly compress that audio using FLAC.

“Hi-res”, however, comes with some expectations regarding the sampling rate and bit depth, namely that the audio is encoded at:
  • A bit depth of 16-bit with a sampling rate above 44.1 kHz, or
  • A bit depth above 16-bit with a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz or above.
    In other words, either the bit depth must be above 16-bit or the sampling rate must be above 44.1 kHz, or both.

Varese seems to be using “hi-res” to mean uncompressed or lossless CD-quality files, which is an incorrect usage. You can have hi-res uncompressed or lossless files, but uncompressed or lossless files are not all hi-res by default.

•  
     Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 10:04 PM   

Agree. “Uncompressed” and “lossless” refer generally to how the audio is encoded, but not what the sampling rate or bit depth actually are. You can have uncompressed 8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit, and so on, at any sampling rate. And you can losslessly compress that audio using FLAC.

“Hi-res”, however, comes with some expectations regarding the sampling rate and bit depth, namely that the audio is encoded at:
  • A bit depth of 16-bit with a sampling rate above 44.1 kHz, or
  • A bit depth above 16-bit with a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz or above.
    In other words, either the bit depth must be above 16-bit or the sampling rate must be above 44.1 kHz, or both.

Varese seems to be using “hi-res” to mean uncompressed or lossless CD-quality files, which is an incorrect usage. You can have hi-res uncompressed or lossless files, but uncompressed or lossless files are not all hi-res by default.

All excellent points.

•  
     Posted:   Sep 11, 2021 - 10:43 PM   
     By:   Tom Maguire   (Member)

On Apple Music all 11 releases are 16/44 btw except How To Train Your Dragon which is 24/96.
    John Powell's Solo Special Edition is 24/96 as well.
    Also, I really love how he's putting the reel markers on each track.