Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 1:53 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Gentlemen, I just got an e-mail from Roger . On their second Kickstarter planned release, once again I am totally underwhelmed.
I congratulate Yavar for having such a powerful influence over Intrada. If they are successful as they most likely will be you will be getting more Jerry Goldsmith with BLACK PATCH and THE MAN. I hope Tadlow and Quartet will give us something special in the future.

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 1:57 PM   
 By:   CCOJOE   (Member)

YAVAR!! Dreams DO come true!! Already on board, how about you?

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 2:02 PM   
 By:   Grendel25   (Member)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129145902/black-patch-the-man-jerry-goldsmith-new-recording

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 2:02 PM   
 By:   Saul Pincus   (Member)

Gentlemen, I just got an e-mail from Roger . On their second Kickstarter planned release, once again I am totally underwhelmed.
I congratulate Yavar for having such a powerful influence over Intrada. If they are successful as they most likely will be you will be getting more Jerry Goldsmith with BLACK PATCH and THE MAN. I hope Tadlow and Quartet will give us something special in the future.

Lighten up, Francis!

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 2:12 PM   
 By:   Katsoulas   (Member)

Does anybody have think to go to John Williams and ask the money??? I think they will give it right away.

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 2:47 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Hey according to some rumors Williams played piano on the score (as he did on Jerry’s next three feature film scores). Maybe if we ask REALLY nice he’ll perform the piano on this new recording. wink

Cody, I’m very flattered you think I have that kind of influence over Intrada, but I don’t think they need me to talk them into recording Jerry Goldsmith’s very first feature film score, and The Man is a favorite of both Doug’s (I think he mentioned this in our Rio Conchos Spotlight podcast) and Jeff’s, as he says in the funny video at the bottom of the Kickstarter page.

So…you listened to the sound clips and really are underwhelmed? I was frankly underwhelmed when Dial M was selected for their first Kickstarter-backed rerecording, and I still supported it because i wanted them to do more. Now, many years later, I guess I’m getting rewarded for my Tiomkin purchase! smile

Yavar

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 3:07 PM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

I will support this to keep the ball rolling. But I have to admit I was salivating at the prospect of the Herrmann titles.

One thing apparently missing in the campaign is the opportunity to attend the sessions. I was present at the Tadlow KOK sessions and I'll tell you there's nothing like that type of experience.

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 3:11 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

That’s a good suggestion, and I think also adding a stretch goal at some point (say to add a third short score) would be brilliant.

Yavar

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 4:01 PM   
 By:   basmith   (Member)

Please let it be a new recording of Franz Waxman’s Prince Valiant.

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 4:04 PM   
 By:   orbital   (Member)

After the posting from Stefan I got my hopes up that it actually might be a Herrmann re-recording...
Nonetheless I will back this campaign because I think it's the way to go to salvage great film music and I'm looking forward to discovering these two Goldsmith titles.

Thank you, Intrada!
(Regardless of how this Kickstarter will play out.)

P.S.: I'm hoping that Bill Stromberg's work on those Herrmann scores proves not to be in vain.

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 4:11 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

I think these are fantastic choices. Of course no choice will be everybody's choice. And I think we have to face the reality that there are few scores that will raise the $38,000 needed for these (and of course, some scores would be considerably more expensive). Joan of Arc may be a brilliant score (I'm a Friedhofer fan, but I've never seen the film), and I would support it, but boy, it seems like a very long shot to sell more than a few hundred copies. That may be a shame, but there's a distinction in the real world between what should be and what is.

Like Yavar, I supported the Dial M for Murder recording even though Tiomkin is not my thing. That recording was very well done, a true passion project… and still not my thing. But I did what I could. Yes, I would also love those Herrmanns discussed here – and maybe someday, they'll come (after all, The Eiger Sanction was an impossible dream last week) – but I am equally delighted by these two absent Goldsmiths.

The only thing that's a bit sobering is how dry the Goldsmith well is getting. Sure, there are still quite a few early television scores that still deserve attention, and a few films that exist only in pretty atrocious audio (The Chairman is pretty painful, sonically, and the excerpts Tadlow recorded a few years ago were a revelation). But unless somebody records whatever Goldsmith wrote for Babe or orchestrates his full score demo for The Kid (a better companion for The Man?), there's precious little left. I'm not complaining, but it does give me pause.

I will donate to this campaign shortly. I wish I weren't between gigs right now, because I'd be more generous if I could. But I'll do my part.

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 4:26 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Really?! If the original tapes aren't available, even I would support this. The 1950s-70s are my fav Goldsmith years.

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 4:46 PM   

One thing apparently missing in the campaign is the opportunity to attend the sessions. I was present at the Tadlow KOK sessions and I'll tell you there's nothing like that type of experience.

As most of the world is not fully vaccinated, I doubt you'd see that kind of stretch goal in Kickstarters of this type anytime soon. At least not for another year, or until the vaccine passport issue gets sorted out at the international level.

*EDIT: However, you can attend the sessions over Zoom. I just noticed it's one of the "add ons" you're presented with once you've chosen your primary reward level.

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 4:48 PM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

I backed Dial M for Murder (which I do enjoy) and also backed this as soon as I saw the email. We're getting bonuses at my job for being frontline workers and that's exactly the amount I pledged. I was planning to use it to get a synthesizer I've had my eye on, but this takes precedent. Goldsmith is my favorite composer and if this doesn't get funded, who knows if these two scores will ever see the light of day?

I'm excited as hell, and am vicariously stressed for those at Intrada.

Fingers crossed!

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 4:56 PM   

I will donate to this campaign shortly. I wish I weren't between gigs right now, because I'd be more generous if I could. But I'll do my part.

Same here, Schiffy. I'm grateful for their efforts.

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 4:58 PM   
 By:   Wedge   (Member)

That’s a good suggestion, and I think also adding a stretch goal at some point (say to add a third short score) would be brilliant.

Yavar

Aren't there some unrecorded Star Trek: The Motion Picture cues that were just recently unearthed? wink Or, in keeping with the "proto-Goldsmith" spirit of the project, there's some great early work from his radio years that could use a proper recording.

But hey, stretch goals or no stretch goals, this is an absolutely essential project -- worth every penny! If it comes to fruition exactly as pitched, I'll be over the moon!

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 5:27 PM   
 By:   drivingmissdaisy   (Member)

IF money is tight and man it's a tough time for many, you can also pledge any amount.

After you click BACK THIS PROJECT.

The next page at the top you can click PLEDGE WITHOUT A REWARD.

Then you can put in any amount you wish however big or small. ANY amount helps keep Intrada doing these and I think that's what we all want. I know that's what I want. smile

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 5:42 PM   
 By:   Wedge   (Member)

That's true, Peter ... $1, $2, $5, $10 ... I mean, obviously, most folks here will probably want a nice shiny CD. wink But every dollar is a dollar closer to making this thing a reality!

It's worth reiterating that it's the success of the first Kickstarter campaign that got us this one ... and, correspondingly, it's the success of this one that will likely determine what happens next! So if you want to see future campaigns in the coming years -- more Rozsa, Herrmann, or obscure gems from any number of others -- the best way you can improve those odds is to back this campaign to whatever degree fits your budget!

Here's the link again, for folks who don't want to scroll back to hunt for it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129145902/black-patch-the-man-jerry-goldsmith-new-recording

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 5:50 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Edit:

Appreciate you updating the initial post, Jason!

Posted:   Aug 6, 2021 - 5:52 PM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

I was listening to the soundtrack sample from "The Man" and since I've had an off-air recording of this film since the mid-80s my ear noticed right away that it sounded like it came from a PAL sourced copy which puts the score in a higher key than it should sound. I hope that any re-recording would reflect the way it actually sounded as it is my one remaining Goldsmith Grail title.