Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 29, 2023 - 6:02 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

NGS will be fine. While he didn't write the central themes, his wonderful contribution to this has been lauded throughout the years -- at least in our small film music circle.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2023 - 2:34 PM   
 By:   ClaytonMG   (Member)

Very, very excited for this! We've seen so few (actually, has there been any?) Touchstone Pictures/Hollywood Pictures/Disney/Jerry Bruckheimer expansions that I never thought something like this would ever be released. The album suites were great but there was quite a bit missing. Day one for me!

Posted:   Sep 29, 2023 - 2:56 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

The Rock is the very definition of OTT of OTT.

Hilarity abounds: like those dilating zooms punctuating the car chase sequence; makes me laugh every time.

And though it's really not to my taste, the score more than equals the po-faced ludicrousness on display.

No doubt this'll be a big seller.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2023 - 8:23 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

A Michael Bay film is over the top? Stop the presses!

Posted:   Sep 29, 2023 - 8:37 PM   
 By:   ChuckNoland   (Member)

The last movie of Michael Bay's that was watchable - looking forward to it!

Posted:   Sep 30, 2023 - 3:50 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

A Michael Bay film is over the top? Stop the presses!

Ironically Nicolas Cage's most reserved performance! Which is why its the only film of his I actually enjoy.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2023 - 6:39 AM   

Ironically Nicolas Cage's most reserved performance! Which is why its the only film of his I actually enjoy.

Not even his earlier Comedy work, like Moonstruck, Peggy Sue Got Married, or Raising Arizona? Or revered dramatic work like Leaving Las Vegas or Bringing Out the Dead? Or virtuoso stuff like Adaptation?

Posted:   Sep 30, 2023 - 6:53 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

The last movie of Michael Bay's that was watchable - looking forward to it!

I'm not a big fan of Michael Bay, but I love The Rock & Bad Boys 2 (now that one is OTT!). Thinking about it, I can't remember any of the music from The Rock.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2023 - 7:25 AM   

Michael Bay is fantastic, as long as he stays away from those dreadful TRANSFORMERS movies (except the first one, which is enjoyable). A proper action auteur (his AMBULANCE last year was one of the best films of 2022). But THE ROCK is probably his zenith. A masterpiece through and through, which even Criterion recognized when they released it on DVD and Blu-ray. The score is probably THE most iconic of the entire 90s. The original album fulfills all my needs, but I'm glad it's getting an expanded release now, for those who crave such things.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2023 - 8:24 AM   

Not even his earlier Comedy work, like Moonstruck, Peggy Sue Got Married, or Raising Arizona? Or revered dramatic work like Leaving Las Vegas or Bringing Out the Dead? Or virtuoso stuff like Adaptation?

I liked Raising Arizona, honestly not sure if I’ve seen much of the others.
Oh duh! I enjoyed the National Treasure films.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2023 - 8:33 AM   
 By:   Sartoris   (Member)

My favorite Media Ventures score ever. I am gonna buy this for sure.
May be the Intrada 2 CD booklet will explain...who composed what?

Posted:   Sep 30, 2023 - 5:17 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

My favorite Media Ventures score ever. I am gonna by this for sure.
May be the Intrada 2 CD booklet will explain...who composed what?

There's a link above that gives the breakdown.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2023 - 6:05 AM   
 By:   rob2004canada   (Member)

Theoretically, does this mean that Pearl Harbor may now be possible? Same label, same (primary) composer. It would be great to get all of the material from the end of the movie. That stuff was never released as a isolated score or leaked elsewhere. Day one purchase if it's possible.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2023 - 6:36 AM   

Theoretically, does this mean that Pearl Harbor may now be possible? Same label, same (primary) composer. It would be great to get all of the material from the end of the movie. That stuff was never released as a isolated score or leaked elsewhere. Day one purchase if it's possible.

It has been “leaked” but I’d buy an expanded official release of Pearl Harbor for sure!

Posted:   Oct 1, 2023 - 7:33 AM   
 By:   Mike Esssss   (Member)

A masterpiece through and through, which even Criterion recognized when they released it on DVD and Blu-ray.

Criterion recognized the opportunity to make money.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2023 - 8:06 AM   
 By:   Peter Atterberg   (Member)

I am ssooooooooooooooooooo excited for this. This is one of my last grail scores left. This is in my top three all time favorite scores ever and one of my favorite movies ever. This is one of the film scores that cemented as a fan of movie soundtracks for life. It's my favorite of all of the Zimmer and company film scores. Do we know an official release date? I know more information comes out next week. I have waited a very long time for this score!

Posted:   Oct 1, 2023 - 8:32 AM   

A masterpiece through and through, which even Criterion recognized when they released it on DVD and Blu-ray.

Criterion recognized the opportunity to make money.

Yeah I was gonna respond to the same. I love The Rock but there isn't anything precious behind Criterion releasing this movie and Armageddon other than putting popular titles into the early risk of the DVD market due to their established relationship with Disney from back in Criterion's Laserdisc days. I see equal amounts of anxiety and excitement that these two movies are part of "The Criterion Collection" but at the end of the day they were just released to help a small company profit and turn the DVD market around in 2001.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2023 - 9:00 AM   

That's what people (i.e. mostly critics of the film and the director) say whenever the Criterion connection is brought up, that it was just a cynical cash grab, and nothing else. Sorry, but that's not accurate at all. Bay has long since been considered an action auteur, and THE ROCK a seminal film in his body of work, and at a particular genre point in time, that is widely regarded and analyzed in both academia and cineaste circles. That was just as important, if not more, than the potential sale numbers.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2023 - 9:35 AM   

The thing is, Thor, you are not wrong. Michael Bay is absolutely one of the great and most notable modern Action filmmakers regardless of anyone's opinion of him. But releasing popular movies (or of any other quality) on home video is a business, not a sacred right. As of this past week, Criterion has released 1192 films in the modern era of home video (specifically DVD, Blu Ray, and now 4K Blu Ray). Do you honestly think that all 1192 of those selections are inarguably the essential masterpieces of world cinema specifically because one home video boutique released them?

And consider that nothing about my understanding of the release is cynical. Criterion is in business to make money. They licensed a title from Disney to honor their business practice. And in the process fans got a really nice package of home video release for a beloved film. Nothing about this process is cynical.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2023 - 9:59 AM   

Criterion has definitely modified its business model and looking to release more mainstream movies. The more releases on physical media the better though.