Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 8, 2001 - 3:35 AM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

quote:
Originally posted by Howard L:
And perhaps he might give credit where it is due; it was McNair, not Thompson who objected to US of A. But I suppose it was just a literary license... http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/wink.gif">

Hmmmm....would that be the kind of license he might take with him to the privy?

Posted:   May 9, 2001 - 4:52 AM   
 By:   Chris Kinsinger   (Member)

You are correct, Ron. 1776 was released late in '72. I also saw it in the theatre in early '73.

Posted:   May 10, 2001 - 7:31 AM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pulliam:
Joe...Gainesville isn't exactly the middle of nowhere, as I recall. There must be some decent video stores there. The theatrical version of the film was released on home video and should be "findable"....of course, we're all into the LD which restored much of the material cut from the film...material that was truly essential to what made the Broadway show truly great. That is probably somewhere in Gainesville, too, although an LD player IS essential.

Yes, but how many rental places in Gainesville carry laserdiscs? Not many, I'm sure... I suppose I ought to check around, though. Still, even if I should find one, what are the odds that it'll have 1776? I'll probably have to content myself with the - ugh - VHS tape (*shudder*).

- JE

------------------
“There it stuck fast, and would move no more...”

Posted:   May 10, 2001 - 1:49 AM   
 By:   moog   (Member)

?

[This message has been edited by moog (edited 18 July 2001).]

Posted:   May 10, 2001 - 6:23 AM   
 By:   joec   (Member)

1776 was the "big" Xmas attraction at RC Music Hall in late 1972. It opened just before Thanksgiving and ran through January. Something of a record breaker at the Music Hall. I saw it in early December and I remeber the huge theatre being packed to the third balcony. Unfortunatly I don't believe 1776 was as succesful else where in the country. As I was in high school at the time, I clearly remeber everyone "buzzing" about seeing the great film adaption of 1776 at the RC Music Hall. Bus loads of students were taken on field trips to see that movie in NYC. I bought the soundtrack LP the same day I saw it and still have it today. Will an expanded version ever appear on CD?

Posted:   May 12, 2001 - 8:24 AM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

Hard to imagine an expanded film soundtrack making it to CD although it is possible to in effect create one using the LD. I don't remember who has the rights to it.

Why "1776" never got an Oscar nomination for music adaptation I have never understood.

Posted:   May 29, 2001 - 8:39 AM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Oh Mr. McCullough you are driving me to homicide!

Check it out--
http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/05/27/reviews/010527.27maiert.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/05/27/reviews/010527.27maiert.html

Posted:   May 29, 2001 - 2:33 AM   
 By:   Luscious Lazlo   (Member)

DAVID MCCULLOUGH ON ADAMS & JEFFERSON: "They fought together for independence in 1776, worked as a diplomatic team in Europe during the 1780s and carried on a wonderful correspondence from 1812 until their deaths on the same day, the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence."

Sheesh. What a mystical dyad. I'm surprised that Mr. A and Mr. J didn't shack up on Fire Island every summer.

http://www.stomptokyo.com/godzillatemple/photos/burr2.gif">
Big Ray demands to be
served and worshipped.

Posted:   May 29, 2001 - 3:31 AM   

Thanks to Laz for his bringing this thread back to the head of the list....if only because he was throwing himself into paroxysms of Burrecstasy.

I read the other thread about "1776" coming to DVD, but warning holders of the LD to retain same.

Were there TWO LDs of "1776"?

There is currently an LD for auction on eBay and I can detect the Columbia home video logo. Is this the great release with the interview and isolated soundtrack?

Posted:   May 29, 2001 - 3:59 AM   
 By:   joec   (Member)

To Ron P.:

1776 had 3 laser releases:
1. an early, mono "pan scan" relaese of the short version on Columbia home video.
2. A delux gatefold cover wide screen, true stereo, director's cut on Pioneer Special Editions with director commentary, supervised by Joe Caps.
3. a reissue of the wide screen director's cut on Columbia, without the gatefold and with no director's commentary.

Beware of the terrible 1st issue with people on Ebay are selling as the Limited director's cut.

hope this helps

Posted:   May 29, 2001 - 4:45 AM   

I just love the way Lazlo works Raymond Burr into every topic...whether he belongs there or not.

He would be so proud.

Posted:   May 29, 2001 - 5:15 AM   

Here is a link to an interesting piece on this film:
http://www.willowstheatre.org/1776%205.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.willowstheatre.org/1776%205.htm

Posted:   May 29, 2001 - 6:12 AM   

WOW!
Thanks for that link, Ron!

1776 LIVES!!!

Posted:   May 30, 2001 - 4:03 AM   

Yes, bravo, Mr. P. I'm a sucker for the lamplighting scene/music every time, too.

Posted:   May 31, 2001 - 4:33 AM   

Hooray and hoo-rah!

I just won a copy of the Pioneer edition of "1776" on e-bay.

It was one of those that started at $100 and was listed as a Buy It Now for $200. It had been listed for several days with no bids, so I bit and bid the most I would be willing to pay.

My bid stood at $100 until 2 minutes before the end of the auction. A last-minute pouncer ran it up to $130 before the auction closed.

I think it was worth it...all things considered! I rewatched my tape of this edition last night....and just knew I HAD to have the laser.

Posted:   May 31, 2001 - 7:29 AM   

Ron, you WILL be delighted with your purchase!

EXCELLENT CHOICE!

Posted:   Jun 13, 2001 - 5:46 AM   

Gentlemen of the 2nd Continental Messageboard: I have just secured a copy of the new Adams bio and have 4 weeks to read all 650+ pages. Too bad it's the library's, I'd like to highlight relevant passages and schlep 'em over this way. Will use time-consuming manual method instead i.e. take notes.

Your obedient
(drum roll),

HL

Posted:   Jun 22, 2001 - 9:03 AM   

This is turning out to be a truly moving portrait of our beloved agitator. Anyway, here are a few passages that might have a familiar ring:

"He was an awkward dancer..." (p. 19)

"Winter makes its approaches fast...I hope I shall not be obliged to spend it without my dearest friend...I have been like a nun in a cloister ever since you went away." (Abigail to John, p. 21)

"They talk very loud, very fast, and altogether...If they ask you a question, before you can utter three words of your answer, they will break out upon you again--and talk away." (John re New Yorkers, p. 25)

"After an evening stroll with Hannah through Braintree--through 'Cupid's Grove'--Adams spent a long night..." (p. 51)

"She nearly always began her letters then, as later, 'My Dearest Friend.'" (p. 55)

Posted:   Jun 23, 2001 - 5:47 AM   

Thanks to Mr. Eric Paddon, I am once again in possession of the complete director's cut of 1776, on two VHS tapes.

Thanks, Eric!

It's wonderful to see it once again!

Posted:   Jun 25, 2001 - 3:22 AM   

--from the latest George Will column--

WASHINGTON--From an early age John Adams longed to "shine" on the public stage, but "popularity was never my mistress, nor was I ever, or shall I ever be a popular man." Adams did not reckon on David McCullough.

The Founding Fathers are having a banner year in bookstores. Joseph Ellis' Pulitzer Prize-winning "Founding Brothers" is in its 26th week on the New York Times list. Ellis' slender "The Passionate Sage" (1993) began the revival of Adams' reputation. But McCullough's 651 pages of "John Adams" really redress neglect of the man who "made the Declaration happen when it did."

With all due respect, Mr. Wills, there is a certain little play and movie that are most responsible for any Adams Awareness that has ever sprung up in this new nation of ours. Certainly within earshot, anyway http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/wink.gif">.

[This message has been edited by Howard L (edited 25 June 2001).]