Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 23, 2011 - 4:39 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

2 Chrissie Takes Another Swim** 4:38

So, Maestro Williams seems to have remembered this actress for some reason.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2011 - 5:02 PM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

Thats for sharing the tracklisting. Next week can come soon enough.

Does Williams often write the music for trailers for Spielberg movies? If not, then why 1941?

Posted:   Sep 23, 2011 - 5:30 PM   
 By:   ScottDS   (Member)

Universal... Spielberg... La-La Land...

MV, there might be a story here. smile

In any case, I can't wait to put in my order!

Posted:   Sep 23, 2011 - 6:10 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Does Williams often write the music for trailers for Spielberg movies? If not, then why 1941?

The only other one I can think of is "Hook." Why these? Probably no profound reason. In both cases, the trailers called for original music (they're teasers rather than montages of clips -- though Williams has scored those kinds of trailers too, for "Nixon" and the first "Harry Potter"). Most film composers have done the occasional trailer score, from Korngold to Goldsmith, and on and on. Why sometimes and not others? As often as not, it's probably just whim.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2011 - 6:30 PM   
 By:   Mike Matessino   (Member)

Besides Hook and the first Harry Potter there was, in addition to 1941, two other Williams trailer scores, both of which I got to mix: Bachelor Flat and None But the Brave. 1941 is unlike those others because it does not have the theme that would be ultimately used in the score. Understandable as it was composed a year before the movie opened.

I'd be curious to know if there are any more besides these. Did Nixon really have original trailer music?

Mike

Posted:   Sep 23, 2011 - 6:35 PM   
 By:   Jim Barg   (Member)

Trailer's hilarious. One of the reasons I bought the DVD.

Just waiting to order on Tuesday...

Posted:   Sep 23, 2011 - 6:53 PM   
 By:   MerM   (Member)

Besides Hook and the first Harry Potter there was, in addition to 1941, two other Williams trailer scores, both of which I got to mix: Bachelor Flat and None But the Brave. 1941 is unlike those others because it does not have the theme that would be ultimately used in the score. Understandable as it was composed a year before the movie opened.

I'd be curious to know if there are any more besides these. Did Nixon really have original trailer music?

Mike

Yeah, it's on the CD as 'The 1960s - The Turbulent Years' (it's everything after the 45 second mark, that portion plays over the logos/disclaimer).

Posted:   Sep 24, 2011 - 2:28 AM   
 By:   TownerFan   (Member)

Mike

From what I know, yes. The first track of the album ("The 1960s: The Turbulent Years") features Williams' original trailer music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2LWKpeyI8

From what I remember, SLEEPERS is also another case of original trailer music, even though the one under here seems to be edited with actual score tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1piB0xIkvUU

And since I'm here, I have a 1941-related question for you Mike:

Does "Chrissie Takes Another Swim" on Disc 1 feature the JAWS motif as heard in the film? Or does it have Williams' original take, as it was also presented on the OST album? I ask this because, from what I know, the JAWS theme was tracked from the actual film score.

Posted:   Sep 24, 2011 - 5:26 AM   
 By:   Mike_J   (Member)

Interesting that Belushi's character in this trailer is Wild Wayne Kelso wheras in the film he was Wild Bill.

Posted:   Sep 24, 2011 - 10:02 AM   
 By:   Gary S.   (Member)

The only other one I can think of is "Hook." Why these? Probably no profound reason. In both cases, the trailers called for original music (they're teasers rather than montages of clips -- though Williams has scored those kinds of trailers too, for "Nixon" and the first "Harry Potter"). Most film composers have done the occasional trailer score, from Korngold to Goldsmith, and on and on. Why sometimes and not others? As often as not, it's probably just whim.

Perhaps whim, perhaps scheduling. "Gee Steven, I'd like to score the trailer, but I'm working on the score for Oliver Stone's next film."

Posted:   Sep 24, 2011 - 3:17 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Does "Chrissie Takes Another Swim" on Disc 1 feature the JAWS motif as heard in the film? Or does it have Williams' original take, as it was also presented on the OST album? I ask this because, from what I know, the JAWS theme was tracked from the actual film score.

It of course features Williams' original intended music, which we've always had on the OST. In the final film, they replaced that section with music literally tracked in from the Jaws recording sessions. Easy to do as both films were owned by Universal.

One thing I didn't know before - the actress in that scene is the same as the one from Jaws!

Posted:   Sep 24, 2011 - 7:35 PM   

Perhaps whim, perhaps scheduling. "Gee Steven, I'd like to score the trailer, but I'm working on the score for Oliver Stone's next film."

Yes, "whim" was too casual a term. Clearly, there has to be a compelling reason to compose original music for a trailer. The "Hook" teaser consisted mostly of a stylized treasure map, with almost no footage from the film. It required a rollicking piece of original music to provide showmanship. (The later trailer, with footage from the film, was scored mostly with "The Witches of Eastwick.") And schedules have to align. All I'm saying is, asking "Why this one and not others?" is looking for a rule that doesn't exist.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2011 - 2:23 AM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

Thanks for the answers guys. Didn't realise he had scored the Hook teaser or the Nixon trailer, I'll have to go check them out. Hopefully the Hook teaser will make it onto an expanded release one day.

I'm looking forward to hearing that 1941 trailer music, its quite a different musical direction to the final score.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2011 - 4:46 AM   
 By:   KubrickFan   (Member)

Thanks for the answers guys. Didn't realise he had scored the Hook teaser or the Nixon trailer, I'll have to go check them out. Hopefully the Hook teaser will make it onto an expanded release one day.

I'm looking forward to hearing that 1941 trailer music, its quite a different musical direction to the final score.

Wasn't the Hook trailer music featured on the CD, titled as "The Prologue"?

Posted:   Sep 25, 2011 - 11:22 AM   

Wasn't the Hook trailer music featured on the CD, titled as "The Prologue"?

Yes. I was so happy it wound up on the CD!

Posted:   Sep 26, 2011 - 10:01 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

Okay, it's the 27th!

(Eastern time, anyway.)

HOW MUCH LONGER?

Posted:   Sep 26, 2011 - 10:41 PM   
 By:   Frank Vincent   (Member)

HOW MUCH LONGER?

15 hours and 19 minutes to go.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2011 - 8:27 AM   
 By:   Moonie   (Member)

1pm pst will put it around 4pm est soooo about 5 and a half hours from now smile

Posted:   Sep 30, 2011 - 2:02 PM   
 By:   jfallon   (Member)

My god this set is a revelation to behold. I've waited 25 years in hopes that this would get released and it far exceeds my expectations. The sound is so crisp. The wealth of new music is a dream come true. The liner notes are incredibly informative... and who knew Williams scored a trailer for the film a year in advance before he even thought about the main march we know and love?? Cheers to all involved in this masterful presentation of one of Williams most bombastic treasures!

Posted:   Sep 30, 2011 - 2:24 PM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

Am I imagining things or did I just hear the 5-note motif "conversation" from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS in the interestingly-titled track "Encounters" on this disc?

Oh, and indeed this set is a marvelous presentation of Williams' score for 1941, a real treasure from that can't-miss period of his career.