Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 15, 2012 - 1:02 PM   
 By:   Jon C   (Member)

Basil, every once in a while someone's enthusiasm for a particular score gets me to buy that music. If MLP:FIM ever gets released, you might yet convince me. If nothing else as a support fans getting labels to release additional music that would not otherwise be released.

Posted:   Mar 15, 2012 - 1:02 PM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

The "OMFG" part of the subject line is highly offensive to me.

Since discussion of religion and politics is verboten here, I think there should also be some degree of civility and abstinence from abusive terminology.

OM only stands for "Oh My"

F only stands for "Fucking"

And you can argue all you want about what the "G" stands for, but it nominally stands for "God."

I think it's a shame you speak and write that way.

Your little pony, indeed!!!

Posted:   Mar 15, 2012 - 3:05 PM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

I listened to the whole song--all three minutes, twenty-three seconds of it--and IMO it sounds more like the kind of generic tune that Walt Disney World might play during one of its mid-day stage lip-synch shows at Cinderella's Castle than anything Broadway might produce.

Posted:   Mar 15, 2012 - 3:25 PM   
 By:   Erik Donovan   (Member)

OMG WALOHS!

Posted:   Mar 15, 2012 - 3:42 PM   
 By:   On the Score   (Member)

Since discussion of religion and politics is verboten here, I think there should also be some degree of civility and abstinence from abusive terminology.

And you can argue all you want about what the "G" stands for, but it nominally stands for "God."

Ron, I'd say it's just an idiotic way of a thread calling attention to itself, whereas no one would likely read it if it was just about the music outside of the Brony boards.

Posted:   Mar 15, 2012 - 4:32 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Posted By: Jim Phelps

I listened to the whole song--all three minutes, twenty-three seconds of it--and IMO it sounds more like the kind of generic tune that Walt Disney World might play during one of its mid-day stage lip-synch shows at Cinderella's Castle than anything Broadway might produce.

If only this thread would self-destruct in five seconds.

Posted:   Mar 15, 2012 - 4:33 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

I thought it stood for "One More Forrest Gump."

Posted:   Mar 15, 2012 - 11:34 PM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

Oh goodie. One of our resident psychos returns. I'm deleting that post, and Ron's response, which would look weird lingering around without the original post. But now this post will linger, and months or years from now we'll all wonder what happened. Or not. Check, please.

Posted:   Mar 15, 2012 - 11:57 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Oh goodie. One of our resident psychos returns. I'm deleting that post, and Ron's response, which would look weird lingering around without the original post. But now this post will linger, and months or years from now we'll all wonder what happened. Or not. Check, please.

I'm already wondering, and it's only been twenty minutes!

Posted:   Mar 16, 2012 - 12:19 AM   
 By:   BasilFSM   (Member)

Sigh. Really? I hope for the sake of everyone else's sanity you're not being serious. Of all the things for someone to post their criticism of and it's to decry a silly commonly-used acronym that has nothing to do with the topic of discussion whatsoever. This isn't about politics or religion or whatever else your opinion is blowing it out of proportion to make it out to be. In case you haven't scoured the rest of the internet or gone out into the real world, there are far worse things out there than the F word or using God's name in vain - perhaps I should have used C for Celestia instead. Considering you've served for the US Navy (if I'm remembering that correctly), I would have thought you've experienced far worse scenarios than what you are complaining about.

*I* think it's a shame you take issue over something that, when applied to reality, is really a non-issue. This is the kind of politically correct nonsense that urged Hasbro to change the Derpy Hooves scene - in which doing so sent the message that those with disabilities have no place in society - all because a vocal minority of maybe a dozen "concerned" people whined about it. I wish these people would go away.

It's probably not the best example of a song from the show that might appeal to most tastes (then again, at this point I'm not sure anything would) - but later on in this thread I posted two other numbers that were inspired by Sondheim. Maybe those two may be closer to having a traditional Broadway sound to your ears.

OMG WALOHS!

What does that even mean? I've never seen "WALOHS" used an acronym and Google is not helping me out.

Ron, I'd say it's just an idiotic way of a thread calling attention to itself, whereas no one would likely read it if it was just about the music outside of the Brony boards.

I'm changing the thread title then. Let's see if anyone still wants to read this thread after the fact - right now the view counter is at 2,192.

Also,
>Implying that no one at FSM cares about MLP:FiM's music

I do have friends from this board who are not only into the music, but also watch the show - they all either post far less than they used to or they've ditched FSM altogether (and I really can't blame them). I certainly know that they read all of the threads I've posted and they give me feedback in private.

Unless you mean that as just an idiotic way of speaking out only for yourself rather than acting as a representative for everyone else. I'm disappointed [though not surprised] of your apathetic reaction to music from a TV series just because society sees it solely as a kid's show - doesn't that go against your profession of being a soundtrack journalist somehow?

Posted:   Mar 16, 2012 - 1:19 AM   
 By:   On the Score   (Member)

Honestly, I wouldn't have even look at this thread if it wasn't for OMFG! And now that it's gone, I'll leave it to the real fans of this to continue talking about the actual music, which doesn't interest me. If it wasn't there, I wouldn't have clicked onto it to begin with. And I'll bet your thread would have dealt with the actual music. But when you do something idiotic to attract attention, this is what you'll get.

Posted:   Mar 16, 2012 - 6:22 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

This thread went from 0 to hilarious in half a page.

Life is good again, forever.

Posted:   Mar 16, 2012 - 7:33 AM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

I do have friends from this board who are not only into the music, but also watch the show - they all either post far less than they used to or they've ditched FSM altogether (and I really can't blame them). I certainly know that they read all of the threads I've posted and they give me feedback in private.

Ok, let me chime in here as a regular FSM member (albeit one that a number of people don't like).

I too love MLP and a lot of both the songs and score (the score in the last episode especially was great, and the week before had a wonderful little "Lonely Man" Incredible Hulk sound-a-like).

I actually kinda agree with most of the sentiment here about Smile -- it's a really nice catchy song but it IS still just a pop song and I don't think it's all THAT sophisticated. Enjoyable, sure, but it's not very deep.
I think a much better example of "like Broadway" would be Becoming Popular (The Pony Everypony Should Know)
Not sure if it was linked here before, but...

Posted:   Mar 16, 2012 - 5:42 PM   

Honestly, I wouldn't have even look at this thread if it wasn't for OMFG! And now that it's gone, I'll leave it to the real fans of this to continue talking about the actual music, which doesn't interest me. If it wasn't there, I wouldn't have clicked onto it to begin with. And I'll bet your thread would have dealt with the actual music. But when you do something idiotic to attract attention, this is what you'll get.

Hey, wasn't there a certain post that asked me to change the thread title a while back? Where was it now...?

PP, you might consider changing the thread title to enhance credibility of the topic, and make it searchable in relation to the subject for future reference.

This was posted February 18th and I willingly obliged - clearly noting in the thread title that this music came from FiM - yet you continued to read and post here solely because of my silly usage of four letters in the alphabet. Of course you were never interested in the music in the first place, you only wanted to chime in to further derail the discussion off the tracks. If this isn't petty nitpicking to make yourself look good (which you failed at) and to provoke drama, I don't know what is.

But hey, drama is what gives LK a justifiable reason to keep paying the bills for FSM. We wouldn't have this board without it.

Speaking of which...

If only this thread would self-destruct in five seconds.

Happy to see you're still attempting to smear your feces all over the topics I start and the interest I proudly display. I wish more people wouldn't be afraid to post about what they legitimately enjoy in the face of peer pressure and possible backlash. Why anybody would get mad and build up hate over someone else liking something that they don't is beyond me... but it's both pitiful and hilarious all the same. Maybe I would troll your threads for a reaction as well, but I'd have to lower my standards to act as someone with the same intelligence quotient as you beforehand - and to be honest, I really don't share the same affection for you as you do for me. smile

This thread went from 0 to hilarious in half a page.

Life is good again, forever.

Life IS good! I do agree with you on the hilarious part - the mindset of people who take offense at an acronym, and those who so badly want to see MLP extinguished from existence, is downright silly.

You say it went from zero to hilarious, though. Does that mean you actually don't like MLP? And here I thought your following me around and posting in every thread I've started about the series showed that you may have warmed up and started taking an active interest in it. I wonder if there's some other reason you're showing up everywhere I post, since I am a child in your eyes. I thought you didn't want to associate with those kinds of people. Am I wrong?

I understand if happiness is missing from your life and you're jealous of how I'm able to enjoy seeing rainbows and brightly-colored equines (actually, out of the 46 episodes that have aired so far, there's only *one* instance of a tea party, and most of the "rainbows" are seen only in the mane and tail of one primary character). This show has, in fact, changed lives and it works as a far more effective cure for depression and suicidal tendencies than any pill would. Here's a tip... put aside what you already perceive about MLP, go to YouTube and search either "Bridle Gossip" or "Swarm of the Century", watch it with a fresh perspective, and report back to me on what you think. I'm genuinely curious.

I too love MLP and a lot of both the songs and score (the score in the last episode especially was great, and the week before had a wonderful little "Lonely Man" Incredible Hulk sound-a-like).

A post about the music! That's a breath of fresh air. smile

I'll have to re-watch the new episode to re-acquaint myself with most of the score, though I do remember these two:

(Metal Gear Twilight is awesome)

Here's that Incredible Hulk homage, as well as a play on Eye of the Tiger. Temp-tracking is nice sometimes.

I took a hiatus from ripping the score for quite some time, though I'm slowly getting back into it. I got pretty burned out extracting that Pinkie's Parasprite Parade source music from Swarm of the Century, not to mention literally "creating" the download mp3! That one was twice or three times the work I normally put into a track. Anyway, I may have my next rip uploaded in a week or two.

Posted:   Mar 16, 2012 - 6:13 PM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

You are tenacious. You got me to listen to everything. I even listened to the "Smile" song 3 times (because it sometimes takes me that long to "get" songs). The result is I am totally unimpressed with the composer. But the orchestrator is a different matter. I think he is probably making an impression on you. He comes up with imaginative and, as you point out, imitative material that pumps up many pretty dreary pieces with some life.

This composer reminds me of Jimmy Dodd who wrote all the songs from the old Mickey Mouse club including the catchy title tune. He wrote a ton of songs, many very heartfelt that even taught little life lessons about how to treat each other. They were very important to me as a kid and I knew most of the regular ones. Now, except for the title song, I couldn't remember one to save my life. And when I see or hear an old clip of them they do nothing except bring back childhood memories. So remembering how I felt about that club back then, I can see why MLP is so popular. Good luck.

Posted:   Mar 16, 2012 - 9:10 PM   

Thank you. Regardless of whether or not you enjoyed the tunes, I'm glad that you tried them out.

I also apologize for the remark I made in your thread when you broke the news about Ben-Hur. That was basically none of my concern and I shouldn't have involved myself in that.

Posted:   Mar 17, 2012 - 2:14 AM   

Might I suggest, "Oh My F'ing Zeus"? Nobody I know worships him any more, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Posted:   Mar 17, 2012 - 3:57 AM   
 By:   TM2-Megatron   (Member)

I enjoy the Smile song, personally. Not on any deep level; but it's more pleasant to listen to than 90% of the actual real-life pop songs spewed into the market these days. And it does manage to make me smile, so hey; mission accomplished. big grin

It helps that the performer isn't a whiny, spoiled, "idol" who will only be around for a year or two; after which all the teens lusting after him or her will have moved on to the next equally obnoxious individual in the endless parade the music industry seems to have going.

Might I suggest, "Oh My F'ing Zeus"? Nobody I know worships him any more, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Speak for yourself. Personally, if I had to worship any God, I'd rather it be an interesting one like Zeus; and I choose to be offended on his behalf should anyone make use of his name in an offensive manner! Sure the Gods in those old pantheons were kind of dicks, but at least they were honest dicks, and left no ambiguity about it when they decided to make some poor sap's life miserable for a trivial or non-existent offense.

Posted:   Mar 17, 2012 - 6:56 AM   

smile

Posted:   Mar 24, 2012 - 12:15 AM   
 By:   Julian K   (Member)

God help me for adding to this madness, but I saw this, and thought that Basil might be interested:

http://www.welovefine.com/1619-rainbow-dash-nouveau.html