Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 16, 2018 - 7:33 AM   
 By:   AJL   (Member)

Along Came A Spider. 24 extra minutes is reason enough.

You can get 30 extra minutes of this score by purchasing U.S. Marshals.

I don't think you can. The maestro was far to creative a composer to repeat himself. I have to admit that I have not played either score for some time, and certainly not since reading your response, but if memory serves me right, they are different. Both films share a common genre it's true, but each has it's own merits, and I would love to hear both remastered and expanded.

Posted:   Aug 16, 2018 - 7:33 AM   
 By:   AJL   (Member)

I don't think you can. The maestro was far to creative a composer to repeat himself. I have to admit that I have not played either score for some time, and certainly not since reading your response, but if memory serves me right, they are different. Both films share a common genre it's true, but each has it's own merits, and I would love to hear both remastered and expanded.

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 6:17 AM   
 By:   jaywellington   (Member)

New to the forum so excuse me if I do something that is not within protocol. But I just had to answer this question since I believe that Jerry Goldsmith whose music are master pieces, was the greatest composer of all time over Beethoven, Chopin, etc...and just eeking out John Barry, wink who is truly an amazing composer himself. James Horner has done a multitude of great pieces as well as others. Yet, Jerry Goldsmith's pieces stop you in your tracks and reverberates through the body, heart and soul and one feels as if this is the music that is playing in heaven.

As for my answer, I have not seen it listed among another, and I do not think that it in of itself has a title as it is part of the "end credits" to the movie, Star Trek: Insurrection.
You all must hear this! It is a rare piece. And if it has a title that I am unaware of, please share it with me, since it is my favorite piece of all time and is now only known as; "end credits".

At first you will hear the original Star Trek's theme music then it stops and here begins the most beautiful sound I have ever heard in my life...Jerry Goldsmith. So delicate, so clean, so angelic....you feel as though you stepped into heaven. It's a short piece, but nonetheless powerful and brilliant... deserved of a vote for the best Jerry Goldsmith piece ever written or played.
Best listened to on a great sound system....unfortunately it is sandwiched in between the original star trek theme which detracts from being immersed into it for very long.

Excuse this newbie to your forum. Please allow this post though, since it will direct those interested to the greatest piece of music ever heard...and written.

Thank you.
JW

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 6:23 AM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

There is so much Jerry Goldsmith on CD because he is so popular, perhaps the most consistently best-selling of all film composers. Since people want releases of his music so much, it makes some sense to have threads about that. This thread in particular would not be here if there had not specifically been *dozens* of Jerry Goldsmith CD releases on the Varese label in particular; it's all about the huge amount of stuff they control because of the Goldsmith CDs they put out in the 90s. Though their 90s in-perpetuity library is certainly vast, I think Varese controls more scores by Jerry Goldsmith than any other composer, period.

Do you mean scores from the 1990s or scores from throughout his career that were released in the 1990s?

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 8:53 AM   
 By:   jfallon   (Member)

Shaun I thought you were smarter than this!

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 9:19 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Goldsmith even wedged the U.S. Marshals theme into a track from The Mummy, one of the "new" cues on the Intrada set (name escapes me right now).

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 9:22 AM   
 By:   nz   (Member)

As a huge longtime Jerry fan,I' d love to see the following:
Restoredrazzlanet Of The Apes,The Omen,Damien:Omen II
Expandedrazzlanet Of The Apes with alternates,The Final Conflict,The Other
Reissued:Raggedy Man
Previously Unreleased:Anything!

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 9:23 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Do you mean scores from the 1990s or scores from throughout his career that were released in the 1990s?

Starting at some point in 1989 (after Leviathan apparently, since that was recently revealed to not be in their control), Varese as a rule got perpetuity rights for any score albums they released. There were rare exceptions, probably due to studio, like Total Recall and Basic Instinct. They didn't have to be scores from the 90s (though they usually were), but just scores that Varese released in the 90s -- hence why the Flint scores count, for example.

Yavar

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 9:25 AM   
 By:   nz   (Member)

As a huge longtime Jerry fan,I' d love to see the following:
Restoredrazzlanet Of The Apes,The Omen,Damien:Omen II
Expandedrazzlanet Of The Apes with alternates,The Final Conflict,The Other
Reissued:Raggedy Man
Previously Unreleased:Anything!

Please ignore the smiles!I meant "Planet"!

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 5:48 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

Starting at some point in 1989 (after Leviathan apparently, since that was recently revealed to not be in their control), Varese as a rule got perpetuity rights for any score albums they released. There were rare exceptions, probably due to studio, like Total Recall and Basic Instinct. They didn't have to be scores from the 90s (though they usually were), but just scores that Varese released in the 90s -- hence why the Flint scores count, for example.

Yavar

Thanks. The only of his 90s scores I have is "LA Confidential," which I like but don't play all that often. I check out after his excellent string of late-70s schlock, including "Coma," "The Swarm," "Capricorn One" and "Outland."

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 6:14 PM   
 By:   jfallon   (Member)

Goldsmith even wedged the U.S. Marshals theme into a track from The Mummy, one of the "new" cues on the Intrada set (name escapes me right now).

Goldsmith’s most unforgivable move was using the Marshalls theme in Insurrection. That was a rare lazy move on his part.

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 6:16 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Goldsmith’s most unforgivable move was using the Marshalls theme in Insurrection. That was a rare lazy move on his part.

It’s in a bunch of his scores after!

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 7:27 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

What do I want? The lost Oscar winning score for a picture never to be seen. It's among the estate papers, somewhere in an impossible room full of innumerable crates.

Posted:   Aug 17, 2018 - 9:09 PM   
 By:   dbrooks   (Member)

Rudy. The Deluxe Edition

Posted:   Aug 18, 2018 - 2:26 AM   
 By:   Brundlefly   (Member)

I rewatched The 'Burbs yesterday and I've found out the following:

Goldsmith has apparently? composed and recorded the score as it's presented on the expanded Varese Sarabande release. After that Joe Dante wanted him to revise a few things, which means that Goldsmith had to write a few alternate inserts for already existing cues.

1. In the film, the beginning of "The Note #2" sounds sweeter and has a glockenspiel in the foreground instead of a violin. After just a few seconds, the original cue sets in.
2. "This Is Walter" has a short section replaced. The comedic orchestral outburst, when Ray and Art freak out and the camera zooms in and out, is now faster and the hits by the orchestra are softer.
3.This is the only non-insert out of these five and technically no revision. During the visit at the Klopek house, Mark stamps heavily on the floorboards and a cavernous sounds leads him to suspect the Klopeks of hiding something. At this spot a rendition of the second motif of the Klopeks starts. This time the main voice is doubled by a violin. Let's call this cue "The Cavity".
4. The beginning of "The Trunk" got a revision and is now much more upsetting and less ironic. After the trunk scene, the original cue can be heard for a few seconds, but most of the rest is dropped from the film.
5. The cue "Pack Your Bags" is also unused until the western theme sets in which happens to be revised. The rhythm is changed noticably and doesn't appear in that form in any other cue.

These are the five film version inserts that probably came later in the process. None of them is on the Deluxe Edition, they are all unreleased.? However, one must say that they're all poorly integrated into the original cues and their sound and orchestration? is blatantly different at times. I would not want them in my main program, as the originally intended versions are fine and fit better to the rest of the score.

That said, it's up to you, Yavar, whether you want to include The 'Burbs in your survey. I'm fine with the current release.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2018 - 3:42 AM   

Is the inclusion of Damien: Omen II really justified? I mean, it is complete as you said, but moreover, is it possible to really improve the sound of the damaged parts? The rest sounds totally clear and balanced, but I don't know whether I need an update that lifts the sound quality of the irreparable parts from very shitty to shitty.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2018 - 10:32 AM   

Well, I think it's clear that I listed it IF an improvement is possible. I'm just choosing to be optimistic that it is. Look at the advancements that have been made over other older Fox scores, comparing 90s releases with more recent ones: The Rains of Ranchipur and Seven Cities of Gold by Friedhofer, Rio Conchos and even 100 Rifles by Goldsmith, etc. Krtizerland has also been greatly improving the sound on several Alfred Newman Fox scores originally released by Intrada and Varese. It's been a long time since the Damien: Omen II DE came out and I just really suspect the Mattesino touch with modern technology might be able to improve some of it.

You've made a decent case for a new edition of The 'Burbs too, thanks -- though it would seem to require two discs for those film versions and I doubt Varese will go for it. Like you, on this one I'm pretty content with my existing DE...but then a lot of people didn't have a chance to get that. If the DE for Runaway can get an Encore reissue I hope Varese considers doing it for The 'Burbs...

Yavar

Posted:   Aug 23, 2018 - 10:42 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

Well as always...it's Flint, but I should live that long. I think we've had our Club batch for this year.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2018 - 11:05 AM   

When was the last time there was only a single Club batch during a year? I realize they're less frequent than the four batches we used to get for some time, but I don't think it's dropped below two per year yet has it?

Yavar

Posted:   Aug 26, 2018 - 4:34 PM   

You've made a decent case for a new edition of The 'Burbs too, thanks -- though it would seem to require two discs for those film versions and I doubt Varese will go for it. Like you, on this one I'm pretty content with my existing DE...but then a lot of people didn't have a chance to get that. If the DE for Runaway can get an Encore reissue I hope Varese considers doing it for The 'Burbs...

Yavar

The Runaway argument is a really solid argument. But the new edition of The 'Burbs would by no means require 2 discs. The complete originally intended score that we already have has a running time of 61 minutes. The four inserts and the additional cue all have a running time of around 10 seconds each. Even if you repeated the original cues and replaced the respective parts with the inserts, it would only add up to 7 minutes + the 10 seconds of the additional cue = 68 or 69 minutes in total.