Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 27, 2019 - 12:48 AM   
 By:   townerbarry   (Member)

I would truly bet on Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson, will have a Major Hand on the next Bond Composer, And Song Choice...

Posted:   Apr 27, 2019 - 2:23 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

SPECTRE way underperformed compared to SKYFALL.
Proving once again that you can't just throw anything out there and expect fans to show up Quality counts.

Every Bond movie underperformed compared to SKYFALL.

SPECTRE actually performed extremely well. It wasn't a great Bond movie but audiences worldwide responded to it wonderfully.

Posted:   Apr 27, 2019 - 3:43 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

Marshall don't do worldwide!
The world stops at The Wall for him.

Posted:   Apr 27, 2019 - 10:32 AM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

SPECTRE way underperformed compared to SKYFALL.
Proving once again that you can't just throw anything out there and expect fans to show up Quality counts.

Every Bond movie underperformed compared to SKYFALL.

SPECTRE actually performed extremely well. It wasn't a great Bond movie but audiences worldwide responded to it wonderfully.

Damn right!

Posted:   Apr 27, 2019 - 11:33 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Skyfall wasn't a great Bond film either. Strictly speaking SPECTRE was more traditionally Bond than Skyfall.

Posted:   Apr 27, 2019 - 3:48 PM   

SKYFALL is the only non-Connery Bond to be one of the top five grossing films domestically.
I think its because it is a quality film. Unlike everything since GOLDENEYE.

Posted:   Apr 27, 2019 - 4:46 PM   

Arnold is the only one who can write songs so I like him.

Posted:   Apr 27, 2019 - 6:33 PM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

Whoever scores it--I don't think it really matters. The Bond films do have an identity, but it's always been wobbling on shifting sands. Even the Connery era evolved from relatively realistic spy capers to over-the-top-the-world-is-at-stake extravaganzas with lots of gadgets and a bit of humor. OHMSS circled back to Dr. No and From Russia With Love. The Moore era--staring with Diamonds Are Forever (yes, I know Connery was in it)--upped the gadgets and the attempts at humor and added lots of stunts. The Living Daylights was a hybrid between Moore and Dalton--the script was written before they knew who would play Bond. And so on. Craig's Bond films have some nice touches--he's ruthless and humorless, much like Fleming's Bond--and the gadgets have diminished, but damn those stunts and fifeteen-minute chases.

Since the identity of the films goes through phases, let's do something that's never been done. Let's go back to cold war 1955--no stunts, no gadgets, just make a hard-edged period British spy movie. And get a good composer who can can completely start over--no faux John Barry. Nobody can do John Barry, and I'm tired of people trying to.

Posted:   Apr 28, 2019 - 5:03 AM   
 By:   John Mullin   (Member)

Whoever scores it--I don't think it really matters. The Bond films do have an identity, but it's always been wobbling on shifting sands. Even the Connery era evolved from relatively realistic spy capers to over-the-top-the-world-is-at-stake extravaganzas with lots of gadgets and a bit of humor. OHMSS circled back to Dr. No and From Russia With Love. The Moore era--staring with Diamonds Are Forever (yes, I know Connery was in it)--upped the gadgets and the attempts at humor and added lots of stunts. The Living Daylights was a hybrid between Moore and Dalton--the script was written before they knew who would play Bond. And so on. Craig's Bond films have some nice touches--he's ruthless and humorless, much like Fleming's Bond--and the gadgets have diminished, but damn those stunts and fifeteen-minute chases.

Since the identity of the films goes through phases, let's do something that's never been done. Let's go back to cold war 1955--no stunts, no gadgets, just make a hard-edged period British spy movie. And get a good composer who can can completely start over--no faux John Barry. Nobody can do John Barry, and I'm tired of people trying to.

Yes!! Thank you.

Posted:   Apr 28, 2019 - 8:06 AM   
 By:   DogsPart2   (Member)

I vote for Arnold to return or Alexandre Azaria. His cues from Transporter 2 were very Barryish, IMHO.

Posted:   Apr 28, 2019 - 8:58 AM   
 By:   AdoKrycha007   (Member)

Bring back David Arnold! He knows Bond music, whether you like his scores or not. We don't know if any new composer will respect the Bond tradition. Arnold knows and respects the template made by Barry and is by far the best composer we had in Bond franchise since Barry.

Why are some people always judging David Arnold on how many films he has scored since QOS or anything else? That's not relevant at all. He has proven (to me, at least) that he's highly capable of producing a good Bond score, he understands what the 'Bond sound' is, he's not afraid to use the Bond theme or the title theme once in a while, he's the only one who can write Bond songs (he's TND, TWINE & CR songs are spectacular!), and he likes doing it and wants to return.

Posted:   Apr 29, 2019 - 2:23 PM   
 By:   Leeward90   (Member)

I sincerely think it's time to bring a new composer to the franchise.

I really like Newman's efforts for the last two films but I do think that's enough. Same with Arnold. He had his time and it was really great. I just want to hear a new perspective.

I'd love to hear, for example, what John Powell could do. I've always thought that a careful blend of his scores for Paycheck and the Bourne films would work. He can do brassy action music brilliantly and pull some sexy Barry-esque string writing.

Give him the gig, I say. With Alison Goldfrapp doing the song. That would be fucking awesome.

Posted:   Apr 29, 2019 - 3:31 PM   

Powell is not interested in „action films with fire and guns”. He told this many times in interviews. Please check „All Access” by FilmMusicMedia for instance.

Posted:   Apr 29, 2019 - 3:34 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

I know it won't happen, but it would be really cool if Conti came out of retirement to score it. Imagine what Conti could do with a modern Bond film. It would be amazing!

Posted:   Apr 29, 2019 - 4:17 PM   
 By:   Chabudai Joe   (Member)

David Arnold
-> Post John Barry. Five James Bond films.

Thomas Newman
-> Recent Works. Skyfall & Spectre.

Dan Romer
-> Fukunaga Partner.

Dario Marianelli
-> Fukunaga Partner.

Bring back David Arnold, for God's sake!
and John Powell & Daniel Pemberton will become good Choice too.

Posted:   Apr 29, 2019 - 4:24 PM   
 By:   Leeward90   (Member)

Powell is not interested in „action films with fire and guns”. He told this many times in interviews. Please check „All Access” by FilmMusicMedia for instance.

Erm. What?

He's the kingpin of Bourne and he's done the latest Star Wars spin-off. With all due respect, I very much doubt he'd turn down a Bond gig if it was offered.

Posted:   Apr 30, 2019 - 10:40 AM   

Erm. What?

He's the kingpin of Bourne and he's done the latest Star Wars spin-off. With all due respect, I very much doubt he'd turn down a Bond gig if it was offered.

Nobody really wants to work for the Broccoli family.
Just sayin'.

Posted:   Apr 30, 2019 - 11:18 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

And get a good composer who can can completely start over--no faux John Barry. Nobody can do John Barry, and I'm tired of people trying to.

Spot on.....

Posted:   Apr 30, 2019 - 11:29 AM   
 By:   Philmscore   (Member)

David Arnold back at Bond would be great, he's one of the most capable composer to tackle a Bond movie. Giacchino would be nice too, why not? I agree about Pemberton, certainly a good choice too. Well, we will see...

Posted:   May 1, 2019 - 2:13 AM   

They have Cross (editor) and Sandgren (cinematographer) - both guys are from director Damien Chazelle's regular team.
So, by far, Chazelle's regular composer - Justin Hurwitz - has big chances to get the gig.
And I'm ok with that guy!