Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 12:36 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Well...damn. That is a bummer and I would have been all over a Stromberg Bride Wore Black. I think he's right that it isn't wise given this new release, though.

I certainly do still applaud Quartet getting into the game of re-recording classic scores, and I will definitely be picking up this album! But Bill Stromberg is IMO the greatest Herrmann conductor who ever lived (including Herrmann) so I really hope he does shift gears and do Endless Night now that The Bride Wore Black is off the table.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 1:03 PM   
 By:   WagnerAlmighty   (Member)

I would have bought the Stromberg, too. In a heartbeat. And Raines.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 1:58 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Oh, please stop acting like I've attacked you. If you lop off half of his sentence, yes, it makes the meaning confusing. But his full sentence is clear: "Heard them, no I don't have them." The comma separates the hearing from the having.

I read his post in haste and the abbreviated construction suggested a different meaning to me. If I had written his message and Guenther had responded as I did, I doubt you'd rub his nose in it. You must know that.
More important to some of us is how it will be released.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 2:11 PM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

An Endless Night would be quite welcome around these parts.

That said, somebody suggested a complete recording of On Dangerous Ground, which I would really appreciate. I love the FSM CD, but the limitations of the acetate sources are really apparent at times. The suite recorded by Paul Bateman with the City of Prague Philharmonic is really good (I liked the [Torn Curtain Silva CD — the Cape Fear suite on it is also a favorite). However, this is one of my favorite Herrmann scores, and I would really like to see somebody tackle the whole thing.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 2:14 PM   
 By:   WagnerAlmighty   (Member)

An Endless Night would be quite welcome around these parts.

That said, somebody suggested a complete recording of On Dangerous Ground, which I would really appreciate. I love the FSM CD, but the limitations of the acetate sources are really apparent at times. The suite recorded by Paul Bateman with the City of Prague Philharmonic is really good (I liked the [Torn Curtain
Silva CD — the Cape Fear suite on it is also a favorite). However, this is one of my favorite Herrmann scores, and I would really like to see somebody tackle the whole thing.

I'd freek over On Dangerous Ground. The FSM is hard to listen to at times.

I think ODG is one of those scores more than a few people would pay for as a re-recording...but then, look what happened with Obsession. The latter was just a stellar performance, great package...yet apparently Tadlow sold not too many. I know, pretty crazy huh?

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 3:13 PM   
 By:   John Black   (Member)

ON DANGEROUS GROUND and IT'S ALIVE do deserve better representations than we currently have.

However, we have no preservation of ENDLESS NIGHT or COMPANIONS IN NIGHTMARE at all, so those are my two most requested titles.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 3:33 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

If I had written his message and Guenther had responded as I did, I doubt you'd rub his nose in it. You must know that.

Last Child, I don't know if this is going to help or hurt, but I honestly didn't notice who had written that post.

I mean no insult by this, and I certainly didn't think the sentence "I think he pretty clearly said he heard them" was rubbing anybody's nose in anything.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 3:34 PM   

I'm sorry for Bill Stromberg, but pleased that he was considering recording something again!

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 3:45 PM   
 By:   Jim Cleveland   (Member)

I'm sorry for Bill Stromberg, but pleased that he was considering recording something again!

I second THIS! Imagine....another Bill-conducted Herrmann score!!!!! Whatever it turns out to be now, it will be AMAZING!!!!!

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 4:20 PM   
 By:   ZardozSpeaks   (Member)

Black Brides Matter

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 4:43 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Well...you already knew he was getting back into the game to record Dial M for Murder for Intrada, right? (The Bride Wore Black was presumably going to be a follow-up in that series.) Or did you mean specifically something by Herrmann?

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 4:55 PM   

Well...you already knew he was getting back into the game to record Dial M for Murder for Intrada, right? (The Bride Wore Black was presumably going to be a follow-up in that series.) Or did you mean specifically something by Herrmann?

I took his post to mean it was a project of his, not Intrada. Of course, it was just a few words, so I could be reading way too much into it.

I guess I also made that assumption because, unless I missed it, "Bride…" was not one of the titles floated for Intrada. Not that that list was by any means complete – it explicitly was not – but again, assumptions…

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 5:57 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Judging by the samples, this recording is probably just as good as what Stromberg would have turned out. So I see it as good news -- this one being already out means we have something else we wouldn't have otherwise had to look forward to.

It's actually interesting how often pieces rarely (if even never) recorded get recorded in close tandem in the classical world. I've seen this coincidence happen quire a number of times over the years (even a couple cases of 'world premiere recording' when it isn't because the other company did it three months earlier).

Hell if anyone remembers this Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/273816821/asphalt-cocktail-the-music-of-john-mackey?ref=48hr -- the campaign was supposed to produce " the first all John Mackey CD, recorded by a professional concert band" which didn't happen since https://www.giamusic.com/store/resource/composers-collection-john-mackey-recording-cd996 came out earlier this years (now they do qualify it as 'major label' but I'd hardly rank Reference as major...)
(Also incidentally it was supposed to be out three months ago and since the Kickstarter updates are hidden from non-backers I'd love to know what happened...)

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 6:02 PM   
 By:   Jim Cleveland   (Member)

Black Brides Matter

POST OF THE DAY!big grinbig grinbig grin

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 9:02 PM   
 By:   Chris Malone   (Member)

Having listened to this new recording, I think it’s wonderful and will be a great addition to any Herrmann aficionado’s library.

Chris

Posted:   Dec 11, 2018 - 11:14 PM   
 By:   couvee   (Member)

Well, if Mr. Stromberg is looking for another title to record, as mentioned earlier a complete re-recorded 'The Ghost and Mrs. Muir' would be absolutely wonderful. One of the greatest scores by Herrmann. Although I really love the version Elmer Bernstein did, it's just way too short.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2018 - 1:34 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

I'd freek over On Dangerous Ground. The FSM is hard to listen to at times.

I think ODG is one of those scores more than a few people would pay for as a re-recording...but then, look what happened with Obsession. The latter was just a stellar performance, great package...yet apparently Tadlow sold not too many. I know, pretty crazy huh?

Just a brief aside, but didn't Tadlow's re-recording of OBSESSION coincide (more or less) with the release of the original tracks on Music Box? Can't remember the specifics, and have no idea if Tadlow's (or Music Box's) sales were affected.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2018 - 2:01 AM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

What we do not know is if Bill S. actually put in hard work on The Bride Wore Black. THAT would not be good. I'm not sure why any label would keep a secret that they were recording a Herrmann score - I mean look at everyone else who does re-recordings - everyone knows they're happening. If this had been known about then Bill might not have had to waste his time and energy, IF he did indeed waste them.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2018 - 3:00 AM   
 By:   Chris Malone   (Member)

But are we simply retreading that often trodden path of “But what I really want is...” and taking the spotlight away from what could be an opportunity to rejoice that a label has embarked on a new recording of a score that hasn’t been released in full before?

Chris

Posted:   Dec 12, 2018 - 5:05 AM   
 By:   paul rossen   (Member)

Well, if Mr. Stromberg is looking for another title to record, as mentioned earlier a complete re-recorded 'The Ghost and Mrs. Muir' would be absolutely wonderful. One of the greatest scores by Herrmann. Although I really love the version Elmer Bernstein did, it's just way too short.

Agree. A New complete Ghost and Mrs Muir would be great.

Regarding the Obsession releases ...I'm sure sales were hurt for both. Purchased the Tadlow version and very happy with that release.