Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 21, 2021 - 2:53 PM   
 By:   MRAUDIO   (Member)

Unless I missed it, David Shire's disco instrumentals for "Saturday Night Fever" were terrifically funky (as was Morton Stevens' takeoff of Shire in "Hardly Working"). Also, Stevens' and Broughton's work on latter season "Hawaii Five-O" episodes, "Turkey Shoot at Makapuu" (Stevens, in his best "Police Woman" mode) and "Ready, Aim..."(Broughton/Broughton), Bruce including some clavinet licks which would make even Stevie Wonder take notice. The latter also features my favorite bit of Chin Ho dialogue: 'Steve, somethin's goin' down.'

Speaking of Morton Stevens, his score for the 1972 TV Movie THE STRANGERS IN 7A starring Andy Griffith and Ida Lupino had some real cool 70s funk scoring that rivals the Schifrin Mode.

The movie can be seen for free on Amazon for Prime Members.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2021 - 2:54 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

Grainer's Omega Man, n'est-ce pas?

Posted:   Mar 21, 2021 - 3:12 PM   
 By:   Viscount Bark   (Member)

Speaking of Morton Stevens, his score for the 1972 TV Movie THE STRANGERS IN 7A starring Andy Griffith and Ida Lupino had some real cool 70s funk scoring that rivals the Schifrin Mode.

I need to seek this out - I want to hear how Stevens tackles funk of that era.

Grainer's Omega Man, n'est-ce pas?

Mais oui! And yet another early 70s Zerbe creep-o role!

Posted:   Mar 22, 2021 - 11:08 AM   

"Kifka Car Caper" from Quincy Jones' The Split is one of the coolest film tracks ever written.

Perhaps even better is "Mac Let's Talk" - It starts at 4:40 in the below link. (The earlier portion of this cue is also great and moody.)

Posted:   Apr 25, 2021 - 12:54 AM   
 By:   chriss   (Member)

Luciano Michelini's Anna Quel Particolare Piacere

Posted:   Jul 10, 2021 - 9:20 AM   
 By:   Valiant65   (Member)

I'm having a hard time trying to articulate the type of film music I'm looking for, but if anyone can think of any other composers of this era who "got groovy" in their film score - much appreciated!

I just stumbled across a groovy album from the Bob Crewe Generation called Street Talk (1976) that has a nice mix of funk and disco that might fit into a Burt Reynolds movie (like maybe Sharkey's Machine). Listen to four tracks that stand out for me. 1. Cherry Boy - 2. Menage a Trois - 3. Ah Men! - 4. Time For You and Me. Check 'em out on YouTube when you can.

And then I remembered that Bob Crewe co-wrote one of the grooviest soundtracks of the late '60s "Barbarella" and with such tracks as "Destruction of Sogo", "Fight in Flight" (both instrumental) and the vocal "I Love All the Love in You" make this one of the premiere groovy soundtracks of that period.

And Crewe co-wrote "Barbarella" with Charles Fox, who provided another of my favorite groovy albums for "Goodbye Columbus", though it's on the more romantic side.

Then there's Dave Grusin's "Candy" which has the track "Ascension To Virginity" as a standout. And finally Dave Grusin provided a jazzy score for "Winning" with such tracks as "Gasoline Alley" (I'm listening to Howard Roberts version of this as I write.)

Hope this helps someone get turned onto these pieces by Bob Crewe, Charles Fox and Dave Grusin.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2021 - 9:44 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Luciano Michelini's Anna Quel Particolare Piacere

Over the past few days I’ve watched the Blu-ray of Suspicious Death of a Minor, Sergio Martino’s 1975 giallo/polizia/slapstick film aka Too Young to Die. Michelini scored that in the prog rock style popular after Goblin’s work with Argento and the commentary track talks about his contribution at some length.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2021 - 11:25 AM   
 By:   Simon Morris   (Member)

Stridulum (aka The Visitor) by Franco Micalizzi was mentioned up thread. Running Away from Jerzy is another cue from that score, which fits the funky requirements...

Posted:   Jul 10, 2021 - 11:50 AM   

Hope this helps someone get turned onto these pieces by Bob Crewe, Charles Fox and Dave Grusin.

I'm assuming a psychedelic funk sound for Barbarella? Probably high time I catch up with that movie.

Grusin is a Legend of Groove for me thanks to his scoring four of the best crime and/or spy films of the mid-1970s - The Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Nickel Ride, Three Days of the Condor, and The Yakuza.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2021 - 2:17 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

Dominic Frontiere definitely knew the funk

Just listen to his score for "Brannigan".

Posted:   Jul 10, 2021 - 2:19 PM   

Unless I missed it, David Shire's disco instrumentals for "Saturday Night Fever" were terrifically funky (as was Morton Stevens' takeoff of Shire in "Hardly Working"). Also, Stevens' and Broughton's work on latter season "Hawaii Five-O" episodes, "Turkey Shoot at Makapuu" (Stevens, in his best "Police Woman" mode) and "Ready, Aim..."(Broughton/Broughton), Bruce including some clavinet licks which would make even Stevie Wonder take notice. The latter also features my favorite bit of Chin Ho dialogue: 'Steve, somethin's goin' down.'

The movie can be seen for free on Amazon for Prime Members.

Stevie Wonder, next to Jerry Goldsmith was Yamaha's (who manufactured the clavinet) other favorite customer.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2021 - 2:21 PM   

Jerry Fielding could get funky too.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2021 - 2:24 PM   
 By:   jamesluckard   (Member)

John Barry knew how to as well:

I mean just look at him smile

Posted:   Jul 10, 2021 - 2:28 PM   

John Barry is the 1960s!

Posted:   Mar 8, 2022 - 5:44 PM   

A groovy one from Francis Lai. 1972.

Posted:   Mar 8, 2022 - 6:13 PM   
 By:   bewlay   (Member)

Two more from those beloved italians, one from Armando Trovaioli - Blazing Magnum

Alessandro Alessandroni - Watergate

Posted:   Mar 8, 2022 - 6:28 PM   
 By:   bewlay   (Member)

Curtis Mayfield was one of the greats:

Posted:   Oct 7, 2022 - 11:02 AM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

I'm just bumping this awesome thread about funky film scores as I have really been enjoying a recent album release from Quartet in this arena - L’amica di mia madre / Ecco lingua d’Argento by Alberto Baldan Bembo. That 2nd score, the Ecco lingua, has some marvelously funky tracks!

Posted:   Oct 7, 2022 - 11:28 AM   

He wasn't a film composer but he did score a handful of films but Isaac Hayes wrote one of the funkiest scores ever for Shaft.

Truck Turner (1974) is imo a much better score.

BTW, "Knew" how to get funky? Is the OP implying that contemporary composers like Zimmy Baby, Our Sainted Marco Beltrami, and the myriad of other generically-interchangeable composers *don't* know how to get funky?

Say it ain't so!

"Pursuit Of The Pimpmobile" on the "Truck Turner" is one of the best tracks on the rerecording, though the sight of Turner pursuing a '65 Lincoln Continental disguised as a pimpmobile fails to convince.

Posted:   Oct 7, 2022 - 11:49 AM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

"Truck Turner" is one of the scores mentioned here that I am now on the lookout for...