Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 24, 2020 - 11:44 PM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

And cds are such a tiny subsection of music sales. If the goal is to expand sales for soundtracks then physical media alone won’t do it. I’m all in favor of the wonderful disc releases we get but that’s just not where the market is.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 3:22 AM   
 By:   BryonDavis   (Member)

No CD = no sale

That's fine. Digital and vinyl will be very profitable. Not trying to be a jerk but I read this and the labels are already seeing dying support for CDs. I've seen streaming generate 10s and 100s of thousands in sales. Again if more people who say this supported CDs then maybe we would see more of them.

I often ask, how much of it is "dying support" and how much of it is them pushing digital/streaming to no end and making the CDs that they DO release look like an afterthought?

The fact that the digital version of music/movies is released weeks before the CD most of the time, they are kind of learning on the scale.

Stores moved away from CDs because sales were dropping. I had a front row seat for the years each release sold less and less. Changing tastes are more to blame.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 7:02 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I assume you mean nobody cares that this one potential customer will not be buying the download. But for the record, and for what it's worth, I as another potential customer give an expletive whether it's ever released on CD, and as a lover of Mr. Powell's artistry I hope it will be.

Context is important here.

When you (Preston) say it, I find myself agreeing with it.

When that other person says it, I find myself rolling my eyes.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 9:09 AM   
 By:   John Mullin   (Member)

My preference is digital download. When I get a CD, I rip it to Apple Lossless files and then banish it to a storage bin in my closet indefinitely. I would rather not buy them, frankly. I've skipped several recent prominent releases like Wild Wild West, et al, because I don't want to add to the pile.

Download files can be delivered instantly upon release, and do not require shipping. The audio quality can often be much better than CD's 44.1 kHz / 16 bit. And there's a slight environmental benefit in that it's a little less acrylic plastic and bisphenol that's put into the air.

Also, if they are less expensive to put out in high quality digital form, that means they are more likely to turn a profit, and therefore it stands to reason that there might be more releases, generally, and some obscure titles might finally get out.

No offense to those of you who swear by them, but I feel like trends have moved on. I would never have bought an expanded SOLO CD set. But if it's available to download for a reasonable price, I will probably do it.

So CD = no sale?

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 9:34 AM   
 By:   David Ferstat   (Member)

AdoKrycha007 wrote:

No CD = no sale

A reasonable enough attitude, or so I thought.

But then Hybrid Soldier replied:

Keep in mind that every single time he writes that, it won't prevent him from downloading it illegally... !

and then Peter Greenhill replied (with what I confess to find uncalled for, and uncharacteristic, vulgarity):

Nobody gives a shit....

But then I thought to myself, what if I couldn't purchase it from streaming services? What if the streaming service is like Amazon, who won't let me buy digital movies here in Australia? What if it's like iTunes, whose catalogue in Oz is much smaller that the one in the US? What could, or would, I do if I COULDN'T purchase the music?

I'm sorry to have to keep banging on with this topic, but the bright new world of streaming is NOT universally available, and every music seller who moves to a completely streaming market is, basically, sticking a big couple of fingers up at those of us who are excluded.

The unspoken "fuck you, buddy" is getting louder and louder, and all of the rest of you, who don't care about this because "hey, I'm all right, Jack", aren't helping.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 9:45 AM   
 By:   Mike Esssss   (Member)

Also, if they are less expensive to put out in high quality digital form, that means they are more likely to turn a profit, and therefore it stands to reason that there might be more releases, generally, and some obscure titles might finally get out.

THIS. Don't let this point get lost, all of you who did not make this point. Keep in mind as a guiding principle that you're not supporting the form if you're not actually supporting the form. I am a physical media guy personally, but that's more about wanting to feel like I truly "own" what I buy rather than kHz. Still, I realize that trends are inexorably changing and I know the day will come when I have to make the choice between digital media or nothing. I've been collecting film scores for 30 years and if I choose nothing for some pedantic reason, I wonder what the point will have been of all that collecting.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 9:50 AM   
 By:   Col. Flagg   (Member)

THIS. Don't let this point get lost, all of you who did not make this point. Keep in mind as a guiding principle that you're not supporting the form if you're not actually supporting the form. I am a physical media guy personally, but that's more about wanting to feel like I truly "own" what I buy rather than kHz. Still, I realize that trends are inexorably changing and I know the day will come when I have to make the choice between digital media or nothing. I've been collecting film scores for 30 years and if I choose nothing for some pedantic reason, I wonder what the point will have been of all that collecting.

Agreed. It's the music that matters.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 9:51 AM   
 By:   Manakin Skywalker   (Member)

^This right here. It has been and should always be about the music first and foremost. If you feel it should be "CD or no sale", then perhaps you're more of a disc/booklet collector than a film score collector.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 9:52 AM   
 By:   Col. Flagg   (Member)

But then I thought to myself, what if I couldn't purchase it from streaming services? What if the streaming service is like Amazon, who won't let me buy digital movies here in Australia? What if it's like iTunes, whose catalogue in Oz is much smaller that the one in the US? What could, or would, I do if I COULDN'T purchase the music?

This. And in Canada, we face the same issue.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 11:19 AM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

No CD = no sale

That's nice.

Since all my music are from digital files transferred to physical media (as are yours) I don't see what difference it makes as long as it's a high quality file. But whatever.

I don't tend to bring my computer in the car with me, nor into my bedroom when I listen to music.

So that big smartphone you carry around with you everywhere isn't a computer that plays music?

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 11:26 AM   
 By:   JamesSouthall   (Member)

My preference is digital download. When I get a CD, I rip it to Apple Lossless files and then banish it to a storage bin in my closet indefinitely. I would rather not buy them, frankly. I've skipped several recent prominent releases like Wild Wild West, et al, because I don't want to add to the pile.

I rarely buy CDs any more. Nowhere to put them, all I do is rip them onto a computer and then put them away somewhere, they cost more - there are a lot of CD-exclusive soundtrack releases from the speciality labels which I don't buy but definitely would buy if they offered a digital. (I guess I'm just saying that this thing works both ways.)

No download = no sale

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 11:40 AM   
 By:   Jeyl   (Member)

No 'any form of ownership' = no sale

That's my stance and I'm sticking to it. But I still collect CDs. smile

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 11:46 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

71 replies and not a single one about the actual music we're going to be able to enjoy after this is out.

Does anybody on this forum like this score? Listen to it often? Remember any music from the film that wasn't on the OST that you are looking forward to having now?

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 11:49 AM   
 By:   Sean Nethery   (Member)

Does anybody on this forum like this score? Listen to it often? Remember any music from the film that wasn't on the OST that you are looking forward to having now?

Yes, yes, no. I think it is a great album as is, but will happily stream the expanded version.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 12:17 PM   
 By:   JamesSouthall   (Member)

71 replies and not a single one about the actual music we're going to be able to enjoy after this is out.

Yes, yes, no. Love the existing album.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 12:31 PM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

I posted this last night in greener pastures, but I listened to this OST on my run last night and found it to be excellent - not that I didn't think so originally, but it had been a while.

I saw the movie once and don't specifically remember any missing music, but my hope for the expansion is that the score gets a little room to breathe. The OST is kind of BANG-BANG-BANG action sequences, by necessity because it's a long score condensed to 80 minutes and those are the highlights people will remember. I'd love to hear more quiet, maybe even gentle stuff (like appears in the Closet cue and the midpoint and here and there in some of the later cues). Again, no clue if that stuff exists - someday I'll watch the movie again, but not likely prior to this expansion's release.

I'm also excited about the prospect of an end title suite, because the OST just kind of peters out.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 12:43 PM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

I'd love to hear more quiet, maybe even gentle stuff (like appears in the Closet cue and the midpoint and here and there in some of the later cues).

Completely agree. Powell does emotional underscore very well.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 1:18 PM   
 By:   Scott Bettencourt   (Member)

I so wish Powell had the chance to write an all-new Star Wars score instead of having to rely so much on old and new Williams themes (and Williams is my all time #3 favorite composer). Ah well.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 2:46 PM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

I think Powell did extremely well with Solo. He managed to balance Williams' material and be reverent to the franchise but still brought his own stylistic sensibilities to the project. A very difficult thing to accomplish. Pity the movie wasn't more successful. I'd love to hear more Powell explorations within the SW franchise...

Posted:   Sep 25, 2020 - 3:28 PM   
 By:   JBlough   (Member)

Things I'm excited to hear standalone:

- The unleashing of the Imperial March, and its amusing 'Join The Empire' source music cousin (though that would probably work better as a bonus track)

- The brief, grand 'secrets' theme statement for the reveal of Vos' ship, which also has a more sedate statement of the primary Han theme before it

- The semi-funky music for the landing at Kessel (the closest the work comes to mid-aughts Powell sound), followed by some Prequels-style suspense music for the prisoner handoff and a nice OT theme cameo for the dice shot

- That one Prequel Trilogy theme performance for a character whose continued existence was a surprise to those not familiar with the animated shows.

- The sweeping take on the Han theme for the walk back to the Cloud-Riders

Do I need the film version of 'Chicken in the Pot' with a different secondary vocalist (singing hilariously low while the album one goes high)?

Do I?

Probably not LOL.