Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 27, 2022 - 9:42 AM   
 By:   Jurassic T. Park   (Member)

I guess in terms of reperformance (post original film recording) I agree that Williams doesn’t always win out vs. those other great names. If you tell me specific cues by others that you think improve on the original film versions, I’d be interested to compare.

Sure...

This is a tricky lens though because the timing of cues conducted for film is based largely on the timings and rhythm of the film itself. What I appreciate about Williams is he is excellent rubato conductor, even given the timings of film. A lot of electronic-based and currently popular composers do not create music with that kind of fluidity.

While I'm still waiting for this BSO set, I have the Sony / "John Williams Conductor" set and he has conducted quite well so far. But I have noticed where he really excels is marches and flighty passages - in particular his music for the Olympics is spot on and his conducting on Michael Torke's "Javelin" is perfect, way better than the original.

When it comes to film music, my above point is still the same - "Escape From Venice" was a timing mess in the film and cut and tracked so anything outside the film version would be better. "Asteroid Field" and "Princess Leia's Theme" are concert arrangements so I can see how those are up for interpretation anyway.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2022 - 9:25 AM   
 By:   Sehnsuchtshafen   (Member)

Film Scores: The Prince and the Pauper (Korngold)

Tribute Film Classics is the proprietary label established by Anna Bonn, John Morgan, and conductor William Stromberg to continue their series of classical film scores begun on Marco Polo/Naxos. The Prince and the Pauper is one of Korngold's freshest and most delightful efforts, as you can hear for yourself. It's been available in suite form, but this is the complete scores--some 65 minutes of it--and you won't want to miss a second. You can purchase Tribute Film Classics recordings by clicking on the link below: http://www.screenarchives.com/display_results.cfm?category=526

Glad to see, that Hurwitz got in touch with those folks, or, they got in touch with him...

Posted:   Feb 12, 2022 - 10:28 AM   

Film Scores: Another Dawn/Escape Me Never (Korngold)

"As so often happens in movieland, the worse the film, the better the music. These two dreadful flicks offered Korngold the chance to write some spectacular music, including some tunes he would use later in his post-War concert music (I'm not giving away the secret). Luscious performances from William T. Stromberg and the Moscow Symphony on Marco Polo do the music full, glittering, kitschy justice."

Posted:   Feb 12, 2022 - 11:38 AM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

He's not kidding - Another Dawn is awful despite the cast. Everyone looks bored. Amateurish direction.

Posted:   Feb 14, 2022 - 3:36 PM   

Here's an older video from our dear friend David Hurwitz who tells you how to organize your music collection in case you don't know yet.

He also talks about film music, Herrmann and James Horner (who he loathes because of his constant stealing). Who would have thought? A quick mention of Goldsmith isn't missing either. Have fun.

Music Chat: Tips On Organizing Your Collection

"Many of you have asked me what I believe is the best way to organize a large collection of physical recordings (CDs, LPs, and such). So here are my own simple suggestions--it's what works for me and permits me to find what I want to hear without making myself crazy. Will it work for you? I can't say, but hopefully you'll find some of these tips useful."

Posted:   Feb 18, 2022 - 11:39 AM   

Here's an unexpected chat:

Film Scores: Earl Wild Goes to the Movies, And How!

"The splendid discs features music either written for films, or arranged to be used in them, by Richard Rodgers, Max Steiner, Miklós Rózsa, Liszt, Chopin and Mozart, played with all the panache and gleeful virtuosity as only Earl Wild can. It's more fun than we have any right to expect.
Musical Examples courtesy of Ivory Classics"

Posted:   Feb 18, 2022 - 12:08 PM   
 By:   Laurent78   (Member)

Sehnsuchtshafen, I as a whole like what he says in the video 'Tips on organizing your CD collection' but disappointingly enough, he ends up himself with the same problem most of us are facing at one point or another: he hasn't enough space left and has to start all over again the alphabetical order at the end of his shelves since he doesn't feel like creating space and classifying again the whole collection. Otherwise, I wouldn't approach it exactly the same way he does it. For instance, I certainly would not insert film composers into the classical ones. And even less so with performers that I would put separately. But this is no criticism since everyone of us does it his own way of course...

Posted:   Feb 19, 2022 - 3:01 AM   

Sehnsuchtshafen, I as a whole like what he says in the video 'Tips on organizing your CD collection' but disappointingly enough, he ends up himself with the same problem most of us are facing at one point or another: he hasn't enough space left and has to start all over again the alphabetical order at the end of his shelves since he doesn't feel like creating space and classifying again the whole collection. Otherwise, I wouldn't approach it exactly the same way he does it. For instance, I certainly would not insert film composers into the classical ones. And even less so with performers that I would put separately. But this is no criticism since everyone of us does it his own way of course...

I see it similarly as you do. As I've always focused on film music, the rest, ie. other categories are just not as important to me. I generally don't care that much for pop and rock - most of it I just loath because every so often the people associated with this kind of output are so off turning in my view - it's not my kind of music. So, I seperated the musical styles and created sections like they were done in LP/CD stores (back in the day when you had them in every town somewhere). That's the model I used to follow. The compilation of various composers/performers -- I put them in the compilation section. I wouldn't mix pop, soundtracks and classical music as I've said beore. There are releases that mix film music recordings and classical music. Hurwitz estimates he has 50,000 - 90,000 CDs. That's a quite a large music library only very, very few of us might match. I certainly don't (and I'm continuing to sell all my collection).

Posted:   Feb 19, 2022 - 10:03 PM   

Considering that Mr Hurwitz has more than 50000 CD's (and possibly much more), I then can understand that the alphabetical order is his only classification method and that the anthologies by Marylin Horne or Hélène Grimaud he's showing in this video are also filed according to this criterion amidst composers. Even though I wouldn't do it, there are also benefits in putting film composers together with classical ones. Take for instance Bernard Herrmann (whom he's mentioning): it allows you to put his symphony or his opera (and other non film works) together with his scores instead of having two different sections for this musician. I solved it by considering that his film scores are more 'important' in his output and by including his classical pieces together with them. But regardless of how you think about it, this is a complex matter to come up with a 100% fulfilling solution let alone it's a very time-consuming task to classify so many items. Sehnsuchtshafen, since you are selling your collection, you at least won't have to cope anymore with problems of that kind in the near future...

Posted:   Feb 20, 2022 - 12:24 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

The only way for me to sort my collection is alphabetical by composer (classical and film score) or performer ( pop/jazz/conductor). So Madonna is before Mahler who is before (Aimee) Mann, Barry before Beethoven but after Bach.
Most of my collection is classical and film scores, so that works best for me.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2022 - 1:07 AM   

The only way for me to sort my collection is alphabetical by composer (classical and film score) or performer ( pop/jazz/conductor). So Madonna is before Mahler who is before (Aimee) Mann, Barry before Beethoven but after Bach.

Funny to have Madonna before Mahler !

Posted:   Feb 20, 2022 - 6:39 AM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

That would never work for me. Madonna before Mahler on the same shelf? No way. (Well, I don't own a single Madonna album but that's another story...!) I have different sections (on shelves, in boxes, drawers etc. - I'm in desperate need of space!) for soundtracks, classical, pop/rock, jazz etc. - some 10000 items or so (I was counting until a few years ago, not anymore). For film scores I have a section in a large handmade wooden bookcase for the composers that are represented by just a couple of albums each but composers with more releases (and in the case of a Goldsmith or a Morricone it's a 3 digit number - same with Bach or Beethoven in classical) have their own space elsewhere. Yes, you must be able to remember in which corner you have put this or that stack but I can cope with it quite well!...

P.S.: Most tricky of all for many people, I guess, is my way of sorting the scores by year of film release so in Alex North's shelf, for example, the first CD is Kritzerland's "Death of a Salesman" CD, next is "Streetcar" - first the Ray Heindorf-conducted suite on Cloud Nine (a release that also includes three short Max Steiner suites but I couldn't list it as a Steiner item) and then the newer Goldsmith Varèse recording - followed (alphabetically as it is) by "The 13th Letter" (a Varèse CD which also includes 1952's "Viva Zapata!" but as the former title is from the previous year, it's placed here - and put with the spine showing the earier movie's title in front), then "Les Misérables" followed by "Pony Soldier" - both from 1952 - while Goldsmith's re-recording of "Zapata" is next before 1953's "Decision for Chemistry" (an Intrada CD which also includes North's unused score for a much later movie, "Sounder") and so on. (It's a joy, isn't it? big grin ) Compilation albums are placed at the end.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2022 - 7:25 AM   

Funny to have Madonna before Mahler !

I laugh every time I walk past that section in my shelf. big grin

Sorting according to style or genre wouldn't work for me; I'd have to separate too many artists and composers like Prokofiev, Dave Grusin, Pat Metheny, Daft Punk etc. who did film, classical, jazz, pop etc. music.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2022 - 7:37 AM   

That would never work for me. Madonna before Mahler on the same shelf?

I just took a look at my shelf and indeed, they directly follow each other. Seems I don't have anything by someone with a name in between. big grin

Since many works by many artists could be included in more than one genre, it wouldn't make sense to me to separate genres. (Perhaps different in a store, when people decide what to buy according to "their" genre, as it's already my collection, no need to do that.)

Under each section, CDs are just roughly sorted, often according to label for a consistent look, sometimes not at all. It suffices for me if all CDs of a(n) composer/artist are grouped together.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2022 - 12:14 PM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

That would never work for me. Madonna before Mahler on the same shelf?

I just took a look at my shelf and indeed, they directly follow each other. Seems I don't have anything by someone with a name in between. big grin

Well, it's time for you to buy some Albéric Magnard and Michel Magne!

(...which is not a joke, btw - the former's four symphonies and orchestral works on three separate CDs on Naxos are very interesting while the other Frenchman's scores, including the well known "Fantômas" Trilogy and the "Angélique" films released by Universal France, are totally worth it!)

Posted:   Feb 20, 2022 - 12:54 PM   

Yea, or as he seems to be in Madonna stuff he could buy a CD by Peter Maffay.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2022 - 1:25 PM   
 By:   ZardozSpeaks   (Member)

You guys got this straight now?

Adele should be filed between John Addison & Larry Adler
Beyoncé comes after Peter Best & before Nick Bicat
Cher should be between Jay Chattaway & Paul Chihara
Dua Lipa leaps ahead of Antoine Duhamel.
Pink should be tickler filed between Piero Piccioni & Nicola Piovani
Rihanna's between Hugo Riesenfeld & Terry Riley
Shakira follows Eric Serra and comes before Ravi Shankar.

Got it?

Posted:   Feb 20, 2022 - 5:20 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Heh, I actually have two composers that would fit that 'slot': Leevi Madetoja and Aurelio Magnani.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2022 - 3:19 AM   

Heh, I actually have two composers that would fit that 'slot': Leevi Madetoja and Aurelio Magnani.

Yes, they would obviously fit the bill, I guess I don't have CDs by them. :-)

On my shelf, the "M" sequence is Madonna \ Gustav Mahler \ Mischa Maisky \ Mark Mancina \ Henry Mancini...

No Madetoja or Magnani.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2022 - 3:25 AM   

You guys got this straight now?

Adele should be filed between John Addison & Larry Adler
Beyoncé comes after Peter Best & before Nick Bicat
Cher should be between Jay Chattaway & Paul Chihara
Dua Lipa leaps ahead of Antoine Duhamel.
Pink should be tickler filed between Piero Piccioni & Nicola Piovani
Rihanna's between Hugo Riesenfeld & Terry Riley
Shakira follows Eric Serra and comes before Ravi Shankar.

Got it?

That's how I'd do it. :-)