Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 25, 2009 - 6:01 PM   
 By:   w-dervish   (Member)

A heads up, if you are interested in any of the Call Of Duty (video games) scores, the best way to get them is to look for the video game with the bonus soundtrack included. I have been looking for Call Of Duty 3, by Joel Goldsmith and found one on-line for $3.99, received it today and it is great, highly recommended. I have been watching the score go for $30+ for several months, is a treasure at $3.99!!

How do you know for SURE that the score disc is in the box? If information exists that says a score CD was included does that mean that they all have it? I don't play video games and own no video game systems (I do have the playstation 1, although I very rarely use it anymore). I don't want to pay for something that is completely useless to me.

I once asked an ebay seller if a score CD was included with the "Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth" game he was selling. His response indicated that he did not know.

...from a jumble bazzar every sunday hawked by the taliban walas!!!

What is a "walas"? I googled the term "taliban walas", and Google suggested that I really meant "wales". I'll guess from the context in which you use the word that "walas" roughly means "merchant". Am I right?

Posted:   Feb 25, 2009 - 6:16 PM   
 By:   Kevin Sumen   (Member)

How do you know for SURE that the score disc is in the box? If information exists that says a score CD was included does that mean that they all have it? I don't play video games and own no video game systems (I do have the playstation 1, although I very rarely use it anymore). I don't want to pay for something that is completely useless to me.

I once asked an ebay seller if a score CD was included with the "Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth" game he was selling. His response indicated that he did not know.

If you are looking on eBay (also try half.com, I never have much luck on Amazon.com), look at the picture of the item and see if there is a circle (looks like a sticker)that says BONUS - Call Of Duty 3 Soundtrack Inside. But, you have to be careful, because some sellers use stock pictures, so theirs might not have the soundtrack. I would recommend contacting the seller to see. I received Call Of Duty 2 + 3 and they were both one separate disc from the game and in a paper sleeve. I am not a video game player either, but when I saw the Call Of Duty 3 CD soundtrack for sale by itself go for $30 plus, and then found the game with the soundtrack included for $3.99, I jumped on it.

The ones I also bought had soundtrack in the title of the auction. One of the CD with the score was still sealed!

Posted:   Feb 25, 2009 - 6:47 PM   
 By:   Essankay   (Member)

...from a jumble bazzar every sunday hawked by the taliban walas!!!

What is a "walas"? I googled the term "taliban walas", and Google suggested that I really meant "wales". I'll guess from the context in which you use the word that "walas" roughly means "merchant". Am I right?

Yes, apparently you are right. Try "wallah" and you'll find it.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2009 - 8:22 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

Missed out on a recent Call Of Duty CD of Giacchino's music, still looking for that one.

I got mine from Half.com for something like $7 or $8.

If you get the Game Of The Year edition, it comes bundled with the game and the expansion pack. Great stuff!

May I ask where you got your copy of COD3 with the soundtrack for $3.99? It was a Walmart exclusive and Im having a hard time finding it.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2009 - 11:40 AM   
 By:   workingwithknives   (Member)

I once bought a copy of the special promo LP of the Jerry Goldsmith score for "In Like Flint" at an apartment sale in Santa Monica, California for $5.00.

The recording was given away to those attending the world premier of the film on March 4, 1967 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

I've often wondered how many copies were pressed.

Posted:   Feb 27, 2009 - 12:49 PM   
 By:   Kevin Sumen   (Member)

With a day off, I jumped in the car and drove 45 miles to our closet used CD store. Hit the jack pot! Someone must have need some money.

Varese titles for $3.00 each, all mint:

Davis - The Matrix
Debney - Elf
Debney - Zathura
Debney - Dragonfly
Giacchino - Mission Impossible III
Goldsmith - Nemesis
Hartley - Alice In Wonderland
Horner - Beyond Borders
Horner - Bobby Jones Stroke of Genius
Howard - Peter Pan
Jarre - I Dreamed of Africa
Poledouris - Kimberly
Powell - Robots

I would say a great collection for $39.00!!

They must have had another 50+ Varese titles, but they did not interest me or I had them already.

Posted:   Feb 27, 2009 - 4:20 PM   
 By:   riotengine   (Member)

With a day off, I jumped in the car and drove 45 miles to our closet used CD store. Hit the jack pot! Someone must have need some money.

Good score! It's funny you mention how somebody must have needed the money.

When I find a good score on some scarce CDs, I occasionally wonder by what circumstance they ended up in the bins?

Maybe somebody did need quick cash? Maybe they were stolen and sold off to the store? Maybe somebody died and the family member who brought them didn't realize their value.

That thought occured to me a couple of years ago when I found Masada, MacArthur, Airport, The Big Country, and several other scarce score CDs in a used bin. I bought everything that was there, (the most expensive CD was $8 bucks) but still had that thought in the back of my head...who the hell would let these treasures end up here, as these were only titles a serious collector would own.

Anybody else ever wondered about this sort of thing?

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   Feb 27, 2009 - 5:22 PM   
 By:   BobJ   (Member)

Man On Fire-$5 in a used bin

Astérix Aux Jeux Olympiques-$7 shipped from an online used CD shop. However this disc was brand new. I believe they priced it as a single which was also available there for the same price. Hehe.

Posted:   Feb 27, 2009 - 7:04 PM   
 By:   The Man-Eating Cow   (Member)

Not too spectacular, but I found the Friedhofer's THIS EARTH IS MINE!/THE YOUNG LIONS two-fer the other day for eight bucks.

Posted:   Feb 27, 2009 - 7:43 PM   
 By:   workingwithknives   (Member)

I drove to a discount music shop in Florida awhile back and found about 20 nice scores for $1.99 each with a buy one get one free deal thrown in for good measure. I was poking though the endless boxes of discs and found, among others, "First Men In The Moon" (Cloud Nine), a few Italian import Morricone scores and a couple of CAM CD's.

Listening to the Laurie Johnson score for the first time was a great experience.

Posted:   Mar 11, 2009 - 4:26 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I finally was able to returned two Christmas presents I wasn't able to "get rid of". Luckily, I got full price store credit on both.

Then I got even luckier - there was a collection of unopened score CDs marked as used, and the FYE I was at had a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on used CDs, so I was able to procure...

Bruce Broughton - Homeward Bound 2
Akira Ifukube - Godzilla: 50th Anniversary Edition
Richard Gibbs - Battlestar Galactica (Miniseries)
Lawrence Rosenthal - Clash Of The Titans

...all four at about $20. Not bad!

Posted:   Mar 11, 2009 - 4:34 PM   
 By:   BasilFSM   (Member)

I finally was able to returned two Christmas presents I wasn't able to "get rid of". Luckily, I got full price store credit on both.

Then I got even luckier - there was a collection of unopened score CDs marked as used, and the FYE I was at had a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on used CDs, so I was able to procure...

Bruce Broughton - Homeward Bound 2
Akira Ifukube - Godzilla: 50th Anniversary Edition
Richard Gibbs - Battlestar Galactica (Miniseries)
Lawrence Rosenthal - Clash Of The Titans

...all four at about $20. Not bad!

FYE isn't gonna close down anytime soon, is it? I hope not; It seems like one of the better stores to go hunting for scores for cheap.

I was at a few FYE locations last summer in the northwestern US - Got MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE at one, a number of Rykodiscs at another, and at the Tacoma, WA location I recall buying CROCODILE DUNDEE, PET SEMATARY, WELCOME HOME ROXY CARMICHAEL and THE WINDS OF WAR. There were a number of other CDs I was interested in, such as HOLLOW MAN and SERIAL MOM but I was running low on American currency.

At another FYE in Bellevue, WA was RUDY and LEGEND (the TD version of the score). I wanted both at the time, but again I had to pass.

IMO, FYE, Hastings and Half Price Books are the best for used soundtrack CDs. Shame none of those exist north of the border.

Posted:   Mar 11, 2009 - 4:43 PM   
 By:   Essankay   (Member)

About a month ago I picked up THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN for $8.99. That was sweet.

Posted:   Mar 11, 2009 - 6:21 PM   

I found the new expanded Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom CD in a bargain bin today for $5.95.

Amoeba in Berkeley had a couple of copies of the expanded Raiders Of The Lost Ark for $7.99 ea.

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   Mar 11, 2009 - 6:29 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

A couple of weeks ago I found The Missouri Breaks at FYE for $2.

Posted:   Mar 11, 2009 - 6:39 PM   
 By:   dogplant   (Member)

David Shire's "Return to Oz" for $3.99 on vinyl at Atomic Records in Burbank recently made me very happy.

A few years ago, I picked up vinyl discs of Goldsmith's "Chinatown" and Komeda's "Rosemary's Baby" from Atomic for about $5 each. I was so thrilled to nab both of those, after I paid for them I asked the cashier where their inventory comes from. He told me often it's wives selling off their husband's collections, which I found disturbing and made me glad that I am single. I often stop by on the off-chance some poor collector has recently been divested by their spouse.

Posted:   Mar 11, 2009 - 9:13 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

David Shire's "Return to Oz" for $3.99 on vinyl at Atomic Records in Burbank recently made me very happy.

A few years ago, I picked up vinyl discs of Goldsmith's "Chinatown" and Komeda's "Rosemary's Baby" from Atomic for about $5 each. I was so thrilled to nab both of those, after I paid for them I asked the cashier where their inventory comes from. He told me often it's wives selling off their husband's collections, which I found disturbing and made me glad that I am single. I often stop by on the off-chance some poor collector has recently been divested by their spouse.

People DO croak, so I guess somebody has to sell their stuff.

Posted:   Mar 12, 2009 - 12:08 AM   

after I paid for them I asked the cashier where their inventory comes from. He told me often it's wives selling off their husband's collections, which I found disturbing and made me glad that I am single. I often stop by on the off-chance some poor collector has recently been divested by their spouse.

People DO croak, so I guess somebody has to sell their stuff.

As long as the wives aren't helping the process along... wink

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   Mar 12, 2009 - 2:50 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

just found METEOR (8) AND
ROBIN HOOD MEN IN TIGHTS (5)
at my blessed AMOEBA!

Posted:   Mar 13, 2009 - 1:46 PM   

just found METEOR (8) AND
ROBIN HOOD MEN IN TIGHTS (5)
at my blessed AMOEBA!

Wow, some good finds. Were you there when they opened, I was there at 11AM.

Greg Espinoza