Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 11, 2010 - 5:17 AM   
 By:   Simon Morris   (Member)

I remember loads of little anecdotes... about sex with Fiona Fullerton, how John Barry "wouldn't know Hans Zimmer if he fell over him...", how Goldsmith secretly loved the bad reviews he'd get in FSM, how a certain composer simply plays a previous score backwards... God this is a sad day. Without these guys, I wouldn't have listened to Desplat, Farley, Delerue, Rosza, Kilar...

Never mind the score chat and composer rollcall. What about sex with Fiona Fullerton?!

wink

Posted:   Jul 11, 2010 - 8:00 AM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

I remember loads of little anecdotes... about sex with Fiona Fullerton, how John Barry "wouldn't know Hans Zimmer if he fell over him...", how Goldsmith secretly loved the bad reviews he'd get in FSM, how a certain composer simply plays a previous score backwards... God this is a sad day. Without these guys, I wouldn't have listened to Desplat, Farley, Delerue, Rosza, Kilar...

Never mind the score chat and composer rollcall. What about sex with Fiona Fullerton?!

wink

Whatever happened to Fiona Fullerton? big grin

Posted:   Jul 20, 2010 - 6:59 PM   

Posted:   Jul 20, 2010 - 8:01 PM   
 By:   Timothy J. Phlaps   (Member)

Such a sad sight. Many a skipped uni lecture was spent in there bullshitting about movies and music.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2010 - 5:10 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

I remember them mainly from the Manchester Film Fairs they attended in the late 80's and early 90's. Me and a few mates would chat to them for most of the time, rippin on Barry to bug them and takin crap back off them about Williams and Horner (I don't remember them dissin Jerry that much). It was all in good fun and I really enjoyed the banter.
Sure, they were a bit more expensive, but I figured they brought the product to me, plus I had the money.
I wouldn't say I was a regular/die hard customer with them because I cottoned on pretty early to the Masters Film Music guys in Canada, who sent me all the new CD's far cheaper around that time.
I visited the shop once, on a trip to Leeds with some mates, and remember being kind of impressed by the size of their shop, but didn't buy anything because it was way too pricey.
Also, they always opened the discs so you very rarely bought anything from them in it's shrink wrap.
I had one bad episode with them on the phone, when I wanted a refund on a CD that I wasn't happy with (it had a scratch on it and had been opened as mentioned - it was my first mail order item from them) and they wouldn't agree to it, stating they only gave credit notes.
When I raised my consumer rights to them (along with my voice), they backed down and gave me the refund.
I never bought from them after that, but I prefer to remember the good times when they were a lot of fun to chat to and skit.
I'm sad to hear about the personal tragedies. I would wish anyone in those circumstances my best wishes.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2010 - 7:18 AM   
 By:   Timmer   (Member)

wink

Whatever happened to Fiona Fullerton? big grin

SEX WITH FIONA FULLERTON

This cannot be said and left hanging without a full explanation goddammit!!!

Posted:   May 1, 2011 - 5:00 PM   
 By:   Alan Keenan   (Member)

Just got off the phone to Richard, he's just got out of hospital after suffering a stroke, most likely brought on by all the recent stress. Apart from closing down the shop, it's only 13 months since his 28 year old daughter Lizzie died, so all in all he's had a dreadfull year.

Hi Chris

Very sad news indeed . Just found out today Sun 1st May 2011 that one of my favourate soundtrack sources has now passed into history . RIP .

I have been away from the interest for quite a while due to personal problems .

I am saddened by the news about Richard Jolley . I knew him for years mostly by telephone , but more so personally at the shop in Leeds in the summer of 2007 . Spent the whole day drinking coffee and listening to good music . Must have spent over £100 that day . Very enjoyable day indeed !!! .

I went back in mid-Nov 2008 but Richard was on a day off . Robert was in attendance .

Yes the prices were expensive , but considering what you got . You either paid up or not . I personally used Movie Boulevard for getting stuff I could not get via either high street or internet . Thus funding the more expensive items I could not get elsewhere .

If you still are in contact with either Richard or Robert tell them Alan Keenan from Glasgow was asking after them . Many thanks .

Yours

Alan Keenan

Posted:   May 1, 2011 - 5:48 PM   

Nice to see this thread resurrected.

Posted:   May 1, 2011 - 6:54 PM   

Has anyone been in recent touch with either Robert or Richard?

Posted:   May 1, 2011 - 11:54 PM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

I spoke to Richard not long after JB's death and he was ok. Tried to ring Rob a couple of times but each time his wife Sue explained he was out. But as Richard said to me, "he's always out!"

Cheers

Posted:   May 1, 2011 - 11:54 PM   

I spoke to Richard not long after JB's death and he was ok. Tried to ring Rob a couple of times but each time his wife Sue explained he was out. But as Richard said to me, "he's always out!"

Cheers

Posted:   Feb 7, 2012 - 2:25 PM   

Thought I'd bump this. Any updates regarding Richard and Robert?

Posted:   Feb 7, 2012 - 4:12 PM   

I spoke to them at the JB memorial concert and they were very much their old selves. Not spoken to them since thiugh.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2012 - 6:31 AM   

Yeah, I spoke to them on the same night after the concert in a pub not far from the RAH, it was good bumping into some old faces again.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2012 - 10:21 AM   

Spent thousands there and every time I felt dirty and cheated afterwards.

So why did you keep going back? Seems to me you're blaming them for the fact you shopped there. Sorry, where you spend your money is your responsibility.

Cheers

Posted:   Mar 2, 2012 - 10:29 AM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

hahahaha oh what a shame that awful grubby shop closed. Spent thousands there and every time I felt dirty and cheated afterwards, like I'd just been forced to spend time and money on a one-legged whore. Totally agree with the previous letter that seems to have got everybody in a tis. It's a common fact that they ripped everybody off with their rediculous prices and laid on the bullsh*t when they tried to make a sale, or legitimise their high prices. As for the boots, yes they did have boots of some varese sarabande cd club scores, even copying the artwork. THE BS was laid on thick - stories about how they'd just finished talking to barry (or he was just in the shop). I think the clowns running the store actually thought they were part of the film industry cos they'd met a few celebs. Well another rip off merchant bites the dust. Oh dear, we'll all have to go somewhere else now and pay half as much (or download it for free). My wallet is weeping buckets! lol

I agree they were overpriced.
But your sleazy post, misspellings and all, and the fact you just joined the board today (and this was your only post so you joined just to make the snarky remarks) makes everything they did sparkling clean in comparison. Money well spent and grabbed some rare gems from them over the years.
You on the other hand. Well...NOW I need a shower.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2012 - 10:45 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

Spent thousands there and every time I felt dirty and cheated afterwards.

So why did you keep going back? Seems to me you're blaming them for the fact you shopped there. Sorry, where you spend your money is your responsibility.

Cheers

I think the name rigsby says it all ... for those unaware, Rigsby, superbly played by Leonard Rossiter, was the owner/landlord of the (rented) home from hell in the long-running UK TV sitcom Rising Damp: seedy, cheap, offensive ... but always believing himself to be right, etc.

As for MB, I was sorry to see their business closed. Yes, they were somewhat pricey (we've had the discussion before) but ask yourself: just how many CDs do you have to sell - a day - just to pay the rent ... and, as far as I'm aware, Robert and Richard sought to make a living from this business.

I couldn't afford to buy regularly from them but I regret the closure ... I think, excluding Amazon, 90% of my CD purchases are now from abroad ... and most of Amazon's products are, too.

Mitch.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2012 - 10:52 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

Funny, I had the same thought about 'Rising Damp', the comparison I mean.

MB were in the business back in the vinyl days, starting in the early 1980s. As regards vinyl, they were not more pricey than high-street stores like Virgin and HMV for IMPORTED MATERIAL.

And they were in those days only one of a very few in the mail-order business for soundtracks in the UK.

Rigsby slants his words to give the impression they had their own cutting and pressing bootlegging plant, which is blether.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2012 - 11:55 AM   

Yes, to put Movie Boulevard into context, we need to remember they came into being long before the internet. In those days, soundtrack collectors had no way of knowing what was coming out, and very often had no way of getting it either. (Think: Japanese imports.)

Movie Boulevard (previously Discount Soundtracks, previously authors of various newsletters) provided a valuable service to the soundtrack collectors of the day. They gave collectors a way to not only know what was coming out, but get it too.

They helped many collectors get rare stuff.

And, rightly or wrongly, in those days collectors actively sought boots like the POO LPs.

Now, did they heavily mark things up? Yes, they did! But in those days, we were just grateful to have a source of release news and a way of getting these things.

When the internet took off and it became much easier to find out about releases, get them direct, and get them cheap, it was over.

Interestingly enough, it was the brief laser disc boom that provided them with their best business.

On bootlegs, yes they sold them, but they didn't make them.

I'm not blind to the faults of the store or its owners, but -- as I say -- do bear in mind where and when they came from and the service they provided in those pre-internet dark days, when there were no forums, no boutique labels, etc.

Cheers

Posted:   Mar 18, 2015 - 7:36 PM   
 By:   BasilDowl   (Member)

wink

Apologies for the 5-year cliffhanger, chaps...!

So I'm in the shop, buying "any old shite" - a Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead poster, a copy of the Ace Ventura 2 promo etc - and Rob is doing his usual patter, telling me I'm wasting my time listening to Goldsmith. He started stacking up all the new CD booklets (for some reason they used to keep all the booklets in plastic wallets, separately, rather than leaving them in the jewel cases) and then View to a Kill came bleating on the stereo - and I was treated to a classic Bob Wood boast that 'back in his youth' he'd had a fantastic shag with Fiona before she was famous - went into gleefully graphic detail. I remember it as if it were yesterday, and it's a good 12 years ago now. God bless MB. Loved that shop.

Any news on Richard or Robert at all?