Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 16, 2023 - 1:19 PM   
 By:   Hercule Platini   (Member)

If they'd just released a CD of this, in a regular fashion, I'd probably have bought it. But the way this has been so comprehensively ballsed up: I'm just no longer interested. If they can't be bothered to even try and release it properly, to even pretend they were making it available to me: well, the hell with it. I'll live without it. File it under "unreleased", because it's as good as.

And an isolated score track is no damn use as I never want to see the (poor) film again, and am not going to crank up the Blu player every time I want to hear what is possibly John Williams last score and certainly his last Indiana Jones score. The Williams/Jones legacy should be better honoured than this.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2023 - 1:21 PM   
 By:   Phil567   (Member)

PayPal just refunded me
I ordered August 25 and haven't heard anything since

I haven't decided how much longer to wait. I ordered on August 24th. That means l have until November 24th to dispute the charge with PayPal. We'll see what happens on October 18th.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2023 - 3:20 PM   
 By:   John Schuermann   (Member)

If they'd just released a CD of this, in a regular fashion, I'd probably have bought it. But the way this has been so comprehensively ballsed up: I'm just no longer interested. If they can't be bothered to even try and release it properly, to even pretend they were making it available to me: well, the hell with it. I'll live without it. File it under "unreleased", because it's as good as.

And an isolated score track is no damn use as I never want to see the (poor) film again, and am not going to crank up the Blu player every time I want to hear what is possibly John Williams last score and certainly his last Indiana Jones score. The Williams/Jones legacy should be better honoured than this.

I get your frustration, but why not listen to it on a streaming service or even YouTube? The music is out there for you to enjoy.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2023 - 3:25 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

I get your frustration, but why not listen to it on a streaming service or even YouTube? The music is out there for you to enjoy.

....and see that you aren't really missing too much. A fine enough album, but a shadow of the other Indy albums (even KOTCS!).

The mistreatment is still awful, but take some solace it's not something on the scale of Superman or ESB being lost to time....

I would agree & recommend with John - stream or tube it and see what the deal is here.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2023 - 5:12 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

The mistreatment is still awful, but take some solace it's not something on the scale of Superman or ESB being lost to time....

Nothing is being 'lost' here. It's more accessible than any IJ film was upon its release. The CD being hard to get doesn't change that.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2023 - 5:27 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Nothing is being 'lost' here. It's more accessible than any IJ film was upon its release. The CD being hard to get doesn't change that.

Correct & true but you know what I (and those bemoaning receipt of this thing) mean.

This project ends an era of:

Williams
Indy
Cds (somewhat...)
Symphonic scoring (likely?)

Maybe it's just checking a box after all.

You must admit though, the composer, project, stature....it should have been a disc that was easily accessible to all.
And it isn't. So....it's a lost moment of tradition.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2023 - 8:12 PM   
 By:   Raider S   (Member)

PayPal just refunded me
I ordered August 25 and haven't heard anything since

You mean you never got any sort of order confirmation from Disney Music Emporium?

Posted:   Oct 16, 2023 - 8:14 PM   

I haven't decided how much longer to wait. I ordered on August 24th. That means l have until November 24th to dispute the charge with PayPal. We'll see what happens on October 18th.

You also didn't get any sort of confirmation of your order?

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 12:36 AM   

The CD being hard to get is the point: this is the Physical Album Discussion thread. Streaming it for free off YouTube isn't the same thing. The Dial CD is the least accessible IJ score of them all - admittedly the Temple CD was harder to get but it was actually out there.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 12:44 AM   

I would agree & recommend with John - stream or tube it and see what the deal is here.

Oh, I have done, more than once. And it's okay. It's no Temple Of Doom, and it's probably the weakest of the five. But my annoyance stems from its physical unavailability. A new Williams score, even if it's not his best, should still be on a CD and there doesn't seem to be any other reason other than incompetence (or just plain not giving a damn) for this one not to be.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 12:46 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

The Dial CD is the least accessible IJ score of them all - admittedly Temple was harder to get but it was actually out there.

True. But I had to wait many years until I finally got in touch with a Japanese collector who would trade me TEMPLE OF DOOM. At that point (probably the late 90s or early 2000s), I had known about, but not had access to, the CD for about a decade. It was only available as the rare Japanese import, the US/Euro version had been extinct for years, if there even was one. It was a great day when it finally arrived, even if all the text was in Japanese. I printed out an English translation of Spielberg's note, cut it to CD size and slipped it into my cover. Memories.

As for INDY V, I'm surprised I received my copy (also from the "third batch") a couple of weeks ago here in Norway, so before many of the US customers, it seems. Weird. But I still haven't received my refund for the erroneous tax.

I'm not Nostradamus, but I doubt we're getting another TEMPLE OF DOOM situation here -- wherein we have to wait decades to be able to find it to an affordable price (even if goes for big bucks on the secondary market NOW). My guess is that Disney will print more batches, and if not -- some other label will pick up the mantle in a couple of years and strike a deal with them. Maybe Intrada. Maybe even a C&C release, for those who crave such things. So I wouldn't be terribly worried just yet.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 3:11 AM   

You also didn't get any sort of confirmation of your order?

I received an email confirmation of my order immediately. I think it said it ships on October 18th but l'd have to check. PayPal gives l think 90 days to file a dispute.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 3:17 AM   

If l don't get a shipping notice on October 18th does anyone have an email address for the Disney company so l can ask them about it?

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 3:23 AM   
 By:   Big Jim T Wilson   (Member)

So Phil, are you saying you want your money back because it's taking too long, but you did get an order confirmation? Just so I understand.

The situation is ridiculous. But (correct me if I'm wrong) at no point when people ordered in August did it say "in stock." It said it was a pre-order, with an estimated date. The whole music industry seems to be at the mercy of the dwindling numbers of pressing plants. Not defending Disney too much here though, they've handled it terribly.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 6:07 AM   

So Phil, are you saying you want your money back because it's taking too long, but you did get an order confirmation? Just so I understand.

The situation is ridiculous. But (correct me if I'm wrong) at no point when people ordered in August did it say "in stock." It said it was a pre-order, with an estimated date. The whole music industry seems to be at the mercy of the dwindling numbers of pressing plants. Not defending Disney too much here though, they've handled it terribly.

I did in fact get an order confirmation.

The problem is they immediately charged my credit card. I get that it wasn't in stock, but they charged my credit card immediately.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 6:13 AM   
 By:   AdoKrycha007   (Member)

There are delays. It's normal. CDs & Vinyls releases are regularly delayed due to a small number of pressing plants.
But it is no longer important, you have requested a refund, so you will not get a CD.
You will regret it when it turns out shipping will be - for example - in 2 weeks.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 7:03 AM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Missed out?

Only $800.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/27774306?ev=rb

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 7:15 AM   

I did in fact get an order confirmation.

The problem is they immediately charged my credit card. I get that it wasn't in stock, but they charged my credit card immediately.

Why cancel? They should be shipping any day now if Disney's estimate of on or about the 18th is correct.

I just checked and the status or mine is In Progress. So I'm hoping it will ship soon.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 8:39 AM   
 By:   orion_mk3   (Member)

For what it's worth, I reached out to Disney and they replied within just a few hours with a full update--"in process," as so many others have said. So even if you were in the "no confirmation" boat like me, it seems that unless your order was canceled they may actually make good on the second batch.

Still not great, since you had to be paying *intense* attention to be able to place an order in that tiny window, of course.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2023 - 9:35 AM   
 By:   Scott McOldsmith   (Member)

It'll get to you. Be patient. Once you have it, the wait time will disappear, you'll listen to it a few times and then put it away.