Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 28, 2016 - 12:17 PM   
 By:   BornOfAJackal   (Member)

I'm curious about the "Spock's Brain" track, too. Sounds great, as is. Maybe they found a new copy of it?

Posted:   Nov 28, 2016 - 4:36 PM   
 By:   Trekfan47   (Member)

From my post on the requests thread:
Humbly requesting:
- the missing cue from "Caretaker" when Voyager departs DS9
- both McCarthy and Chattaway's music from Star Trek The Experience Borg Invasion 4-D and Klingon Encounter
- the "last time on Enterprise" and teaser of Enterprise "Terra Prime"
- the final act of "Equinox Part I"
- "Endgame"

Thank you very much for the Caretaker cue and the Star Trek The Experience music! I cannot wait to order this!

I am looking forward to the Voyager sets and all other future Star Trek releases!

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 1:47 AM   
 By:   jb1234   (Member)

DS9 and Voyager? We have albums coming. Plenty of music left to be released for those series. I can only hope against hope Enterprise will get one more release. If anything just to finally get the score to Azati Prime. How the climactic battle music from that episode was skipped both times is totally beyond me. smile

Not to mention only one cue from the excellent "Anomaly" score has been released. In general, I've been let down by the Chattaway selections on both Enterprise albums (with a few exceptions like "Zero Hour" and "The Catwalk").

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 8:31 AM   
 By:   Oliver_DE   (Member)

DS9 and Voyager? We have albums coming. Plenty of music left to be released for those series. I can only hope against hope Enterprise will get one more release. If anything just to finally get the score to Azati Prime. How the climactic battle music from that episode was skipped both times is totally beyond me. smile

Yes, I was also praying that the climatic battle music from Azati Prime would be on this set. Sadly it is not.
This has to be released in the near future!!

Otherwise an awesome set, instand buy for me.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 9:04 AM   
 By:   Jeff Bond   (Member)

The Spock's Brain music contains a short cue that was inadvertently dropped from the original music box set. It's a brief but very familiar piece of third season music. The 50th set was a great opportunity (and the final opportunity) to address a few quibbles with the TOS box set and make sure that every bit of music we could find for TOS was finally out there.
That said, there is one piece of music we were never able to find--it's a brief snare drum riff that shows up in an episode (I'm not going to say which one just to initiate a massive, anal-retentive search by a few Trekkies) that was otherwise tracked, so it could have been recorded specifically for this particular show, although that seems very doubtful. More likely pulled from somewhere but it was not in all the drum/percussion library material we found for the series. But it's at most two seconds long. Good luck figuring out what it is, Trekkies!

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 10:49 AM   
 By:   other tallguy   (Member)

Good luck figuring out what it is, Trekkies!

Hey, watch that glass house with those stones, Bond! smile

I didn't even know there was music missing from Spock's Brain. So I'm sure I won't be any use here.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 11:08 AM   
 By:   holberg917g   (Member)

Was it Obsession, the one cue you couldnt find, when Kirk marches out of sickbay prior to Chapel's "What's up with the Captain?" remark? The short drum roll. Not being picky, just amusingly curious. Love the work you guys have done.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 11:14 AM   
 By:   other tallguy   (Member)

Was it Obsession, the one cue you couldnt find, when Kirk marches out of sickbay prior to Chapel's "What's up with the Captain?" remark? The short drum roll. Not being picky, just amusingly curious. Love the work you guys have done.

That would be an appropriate episode. smile

BTW, Jeff, thanks for answering the question about Spock's Brain.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 11:16 AM   
 By:   darthbrett   (Member)

I've been slowly but surely editing every single episode to what was heard on screen since the set came out in '12. As of today, I am only up to the very end of season I. But if I remember right, the only music I came across so far that was missng from the set was the Mullendore romantic cue that first appeared in Miri and once more in Court Martial; and one very short stinger-like cue that was also used in Miri. I simply ripped the Bluray audio and mixed out the fx/dialogue to get a clean rip. I won't be hotting season 3 for another few years I'm sure! Lol But good to know Spock's Brain has a missing cue on this set, too! Looking forward to adding the new Mullendore cue to my episodic edits!!

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 11:21 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

That said, there is one piece of music we were never able to find--it's a brief snare drum riff that shows up in an episode...

I still think there's a missing drum bit which serves as both musical punctuation and fx for thrown rock at 3:50 and 4:12.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 11:26 AM   

Nope, no one is anywhere near what I'm talking about so far.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 11:41 AM   
 By:   Midnight Mike   (Member)

There is one drum cue I haven't heard in the TOS set, but I'm not sure if it's the missing one.

In Journey to Babel when the Security Guards stuns the Andorian in the brig, there is a short Snare Drum bit.

Is that the one?

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 12:14 PM   

Yes, you are now the second person to guess this correctly. It's interesting because there are a number of library snare drum cues but we didn't find this bit anywhere in the materials we had.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 1:00 PM   
 By:   Disco Stu   (Member)

Heaven help me I almost missed this release and that while it has "THE ANIMATED SERIES"!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the TOS box-set and don't care for all the incarnations after TAS but I will buy this box just for the Animated series music ! November is the time I watch TAS, and now I can add audio to this routine.
Thank you so very much for getting this done, so very very much.

Will SAE be selling this?

D.S.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 1:07 PM   
 By:   Filmmaker   (Member)

Would have paid the asking price for the animated series alone, no joke. LLL, you haven't made my day, nor my year. You've made my DECADE!

So, just to sweeten what is already perfection, do you mind posting the order range that secured an autograph? Mine is 121350...(*fingers crossed*)

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 1:11 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

The 50th set was a great opportunity (and the final opportunity) to address a few quibbles with the TOS box set and make sure that every bit of music we could find for TOS was finally out there.

I see there are many replacement tracks in the new set for scores like The Cage, Man Trap and Charlie X, for example, all of which are part of the 15CD set. I'm tempted by these even though I have no real idea of what the differences/improvements are.
But wouldn't the replacement/additional tracks for TOS have also made a good-selling single '16th CD' of supplementary material for previous and future buyers of the 15CD TOS set, rather than being thrown together with three other CDs which may or may not be of interest to TOS admirers?
A 16th supplementary TOS CD packaged to match the style of the TOS 15CD set would have been nice and very tempting for all TOS buyers. I for one do not have any interest in the other three discs, but it seems that the labels assume that an appreciation of the music from one Star Trek series means an automatic liking of all the others.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 1:13 PM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

Ordered along with the Jurassic Park Collection. Thank you, La-La-Land!

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 1:54 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

A 16th supplementary TOS CD packaged to match the style of the TOS 15CD set would have been nice and very tempting for all TOS buyers. I for one do not have any interest in the other three discs, but it seems that the labels assume that an appreciation of the music from one Star Trek series means an automatic liking of all the others.

I'm not sure you're assuming correctly. The people at these labels are too smart to believe love for all "Trek" is "automatic," though I do also believe there is quite a bit of crossover appeal among the many "Trek" series/movies.

But I would also imagine your idea of a standalone 16th supplementary disc might be a very hard sell. "You bought this already, but here are various snippets of it again in slightly better sound, plus a minute or so of new music!" And you can be certain that many around here would demand this "corrected" disc free.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 1:55 PM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

Milk that cash cow, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted:   Nov 29, 2016 - 2:20 PM   
 By:   ScottyM   (Member)

Yes, you are now the second person to guess this correctly. It's interesting because there are a number of library snare drum cues but we didn't find this bit anywhere in the materials we had.

I seem to one drum overlay missing from the set. It was from "Amok Time" during "Contrary Order," it's a three note drum bit. Probably never turned up anywhere, and I'm certainly not complaining. Just pointing it out. smile