Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Aug 26, 2018 - 5:07 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

You are right of course that it would only require one disc. But I still suspect a further expansion is probably unlikely, as the only time that Varese has further expanded on expansion of theirs was The Omen.

Yavar

Posted:   Aug 26, 2018 - 5:24 PM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Speaking of Runaway... listened to it again recently and the new tracks sound different - louder and less defined - than the tracks from the original CD. It could do with a fresh restoration/remastering.

But for 2018. U.S. MARSHALS.

Posted:   Aug 26, 2018 - 5:35 PM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

U.S. muthafu@#ing MARSHALS!!!!!!!!!

C O M P L E T E !!!

Posted:   Oct 21, 2018 - 6:17 PM   

Voting kinda petered out on this, but thought it was worth a bump in light of Varese’s announcement tomorrow which will hopefully include one of these titles!

Yavar

Posted:   Oct 21, 2018 - 6:29 PM   
 By:   Kevin Costigan   (Member)

C O M P L E T E !!!

Bring it on! Please!

Posted:   Oct 21, 2018 - 6:42 PM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

C O M P L E T E !!!

Bring it on! Please!

Yesssss!!!!

Posted:   Oct 21, 2018 - 7:18 PM   
 By:   Jim Cleveland   (Member)

Tell me... does Varese still expect us to "expect the unexpected'? I don't expect they do... oh well... time to take an expectorant!big grinbig grin

Posted:   Oct 22, 2018 - 5:48 AM   
 By:   Brundlefly   (Member)

Last chance for any wild guesses!

Posted:   Oct 22, 2018 - 9:13 AM   

Well my hopes I put in my first post:

1. Love Field
2. Planet of the Apes: 50th Anniversary Edition (I don't want to wait for the 60th for a great remaster!)
3. Medicine Man
4. The Other
5. Mom and Dad Save the World
6. Our Man Flint
7. City Hall
8. Looney Tunes: Back in Action
9. U.S. Marshals (there's so much unreleased I'm coming around to wanting it...)
10. The Final Conflict

But I think Air Force One or U.S. Marshals are most likely...maybe an outside chance of 13th Warrior.

Yavar

Posted:   Oct 22, 2018 - 9:21 AM   
 By:   Thierry Schreurs   (Member)

US MARSHALS complete.....PLEASE!!!

If it's not tomorrow, at least for the following batch....no more later.

Mr Townson, are you there?
Back home from Gent in Belgium?

Posted:   Oct 22, 2018 - 12:01 PM   
 By:   Brundlefly   (Member)

Too bad, no Goldsmith. I was hoping for The Mephisto Waltz.

But they did something that is much more exciting than that. Even more exciting than U.S. Marshals and Air Force One!

They do a lot of Poledouris action scores, lately. Are they worse or better than Jerry's auto-pilot action scores?

Posted:   Oct 22, 2018 - 12:04 PM   

They're different. I'm sure some out there prefer Poledouris 90s action scores and others Goldsmith. I think the two of them were probably the two greatest action music composers of all time, personally...even in "autopilot" mode I dig 'em.

On Deadly Ground is being mischaracterized a bit as an all-out action score though. Lots of big thematic statements and also some interesting Native American elements give this a unique flavor.

Yavar

P.S. Agreed that Dracula complete is even more exciting news than almost any Goldsmith expansion. Amazing score.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2019 - 9:55 AM   

With Robert Townson's final Varese Club batch imminent in February, I thought I'd bump this thread and see if more people wanted to participate (more participated in its original incarnation, but we needed this re-do because several Goldsmith scores have been released since that old poll).

Yavar

Posted:   Jan 30, 2019 - 10:16 AM   
 By:   Niall from Ireland   (Member)

Raggedy Man.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2019 - 10:51 AM   
 By:   WagnerAlmighty   (Member)

With Robert Townson's final Varese Club batch imminent in February, I thought I'd bump this thread and see if more people wanted to participate (more participated in its original incarnation, but we needed this re-do because several Goldsmith scores have been released since that old poll).

Yavar

I'm there, dude.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2019 - 2:49 PM   
 By:   johnonymous86   (Member)

I would love to see Lionheart get a DX--I've been holding off on this score because I know it's gotta come sooner or later!

I also just got a copy of the 1997 POTA. Hadn't had a lot of experience with this score but I'm loving it now that I can sit down and give it a good analysis. The percussion is mesmerizing! I think the sound quality is okay considering the age but it could definitely be better.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2019 - 3:28 PM   
 By:   dbrooks   (Member)

Rudy, but I would be outvoted on this one. Plus I will wait my turn and let all those other choices that fans have been waiting longer for.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2019 - 3:35 PM   
 By:   mgh   (Member)

Raggedy Man.

Another vote on that, Niall.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2019 - 3:56 PM   

I would love to see Lionheart get a DX--I've been holding off on this score because I know it's gotta come sooner or later!

Well it did come...digitally. wink All tantalizing with a nice looking Deluxe Edition cover, too!

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/lionheart-the-deluxe-edition-digital

Unfortunately while a good deal for the (virtually*) complete score, it just presents both Volume 1 and Volume 2 programs in their original track order, rather than mixing the two together chronologically (and omitting the repeated finale cue) for the best listening experience. So I still really hope for a new complete CD release of the score some day, along those lines.

*The cue "The Future" doesn't really have its ending intact as it's crossfaded into the repeat of the finale cue.

I also just got a copy of the 1997 POTA. Hadn't had a lot of experience with this score but I'm loving it now that I can sit down and give it a good analysis. The percussion is mesmerizing! I think the sound quality is okay considering the age but it could definitely be better.

The Intrada album has better sound quality but it's the truncated original album, plus "The Hunt". It's been over two decades since the Varese complete edition and technology has advanced a lot since then. We really need a new definitive edition, filled out by any unreleased alternates or unused cues...heck reissue Escape as a second disc while we're at it.

Yavar

Posted:   Jan 30, 2019 - 5:24 PM   
 By:   steffromuk   (Member)

I'd love them to release the long overdue expanded version of UNDER FIRE