Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 24, 2020 - 12:31 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

FilmMusicReporter has updated their article to say Franglen is doing songs for the indigenous people in the film, but that no composer has been officially announced yet.

Posted:   Jan 24, 2020 - 12:33 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

Repeat ad nauseam.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2021 - 4:04 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

So, it's official.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/12/17/simon-franglen-to-score-james-camerons-avatar-sequels/

It's no longer official

That article linked above has been deleted off of filmmusicreporter's site.

They replaced it with this article:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/12/17/simon-franglen-to-compose-songs-for-james-camerons-avatar-sequels/

which specifically indicates he's only writing "indigenous songs" for the movie, and not scoring it. They say:

Note: Article updated on December 19, 2019. A previous version of this article stated that Franglen had signed on to compose the score for the sequels. Several sources indicated that Franglen is also set to be scoring the movies, but no composer has officially been hired yet.

The wikipedia page for Avatar 2 says Graeme Revell is scoring the film, though no source is listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_2

The IMDB page for Avatar 2 does not list a composer

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/fullcredits

Posted:   Jan 30, 2021 - 4:31 PM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Maybe Joe Kraemer will score them?

Posted:   Jan 30, 2021 - 6:05 PM   
 By:   lonzoe1   (Member)

Balfe or Junkie are probably competing for the gig.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2021 - 6:20 PM   
 By:   Dr. Nigel Channing   (Member)

Please not Zimmer.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2021 - 6:35 PM   
 By:   jb1234   (Member)

Please not Zimmer.

I'd much rather have Zimmer over Junkie or Balfe.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2021 - 6:35 PM   
 By:   jwb1   (Member)

Graeme Revell is retired.

I think it is possible Alan Silvestri could take over, as he worked with James Cameron before. It would be a logical choice.

Posted:   Jan 31, 2021 - 3:20 AM   
 By:   ROBERT Z   (Member)

No , James Newton Howard must do it !

Posted:   Jan 31, 2021 - 4:10 AM   
 By:   SoldierofFortune   (Member)

For logic, would be Holkenborg, because he compose two James Cameron's produced movies.

But I love if Alan Silvestri compose this movies.

Posted:   Jan 31, 2021 - 5:48 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

I wonder if some composers he's worked with previously might not want to return to work with him.
I've heard he's a bit of a prick during pre-production, post-production and filming in between.

Posted:   Feb 1, 2021 - 4:56 AM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

I wonder if some composers he's worked with previously might not want to return to work with him.
I've heard he's a bit of a prick during pre-production, post-production and filming in between.

Well of the 7 theatrical releases Cameron has directed, the only composer he worked with just once is Silvestri so not sure your logic holds water.

Posted:   Feb 1, 2021 - 5:58 AM   

Here is what Alan has said about working with Cameron on The Abyss when asked if he was difficult:

It wasn’t troubled at all. It was very difficult physically for those people to make that film, but as these images started to arrive they were just very inspiring, wonderful images that he created. Jim is a very demanding filmmaker but above all demanding on himself, and so for someone who is looking for something inspiring to write he provided an enormous amount of motivation and inspiration for me. That in one way makes the composer’s job a little easier when you have such a richness of imagery to write to.

So make of that what you will. Unless Cameron hated Silvestri, I see it possible Alan would work with him again. Cameron and Horner hated each other after Aliens and were able to erase that part of their history and work again. Lots of times this happens in Hollywood where you fight and forgive. Look at Elfman and Burton.

Really the question isn't if Silvestri would be good for the job. Obviously he would be. It just comes down to what Cameron is thinking creatively about what to do with the score. I think Silvestri would be wonderful.

Posted:   Feb 12, 2021 - 4:06 PM   
 By:   x-ray-ok   (Member)

-

Posted:   Feb 13, 2021 - 4:54 PM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

Unless Cameron hated Silvestri, I see it possible Alan would work with him again. Cameron and Horner hated each other after Aliens and were able to erase that part of their history and work again. Lots of times this happens in Hollywood where you fight and forgive. Look at Elfman and Burton.

Tim Burton and Danny Elfman had a dust-up?

Of the names mentioned in this thread, I think David Arnold, Don Davis, and James Newton Howard would all be wonderful for the world of Avatar. They're all more than capable of wielding orchestras and electronics in equal supply and can deliver lush themes and propulsive action material with ethnic instrumentation when needed. You wouldn't go wrong with any one of those three in my opinion, though I doubt how likely it is any one of them would be considered by Cameron.

I'm not sure how or why Revell's name came up, but I find him an even unlikelier choice, even without taking into consideration his retirement. I enjoy his scores from the 90s and early 2000s, but nothing I've heard from him makes me think Avatar. He tended to write for "darker" worlds like The Crow, Pitch Black, Titan A.E., Daredevil, and Sin City. Not that he couldn't be capable of producing something different. I just haven't really heard anything that would make me think of him for Avatar.

Alan Silvestri of course would be a natural choice. I could very much see that happening.

Posted:   Feb 13, 2021 - 6:13 PM   

I'm not sure how or why Revell's name came up

Because of a Wiki article, which is not reliable. The only reason a person would assume that is because he literally lives in New Zealand. That's it.

Posted:   Feb 14, 2021 - 1:06 AM   
 By:   timc   (Member)

I thought it was almost certain ludwig goransson gets the job after black panther...

Posted:   Feb 14, 2021 - 1:09 AM   
 By:   dr.doom   (Member)

I thought it was almost certain ludwig goransson gets the job after black panther...test test

Posted:   Feb 14, 2021 - 1:12 AM   
 By:   dr.doom   (Member)

btw the post above by timc was also me.somehow i got logged in as a different user trying to log in as dr.doom.bizarre and concerning.never happened to me.sorry timc.i definately dont have your password.

Posted:   Feb 14, 2021 - 2:13 AM   
 By:   Randy Watson   (Member)

Unless Cameron hated Silvestri, I see it possible Alan would work with him again. Cameron and Horner hated each other after Aliens and were able to erase that part of their history and work again. Lots of times this happens in Hollywood where you fight and forgive. Look at Elfman and Burton.

Tim Burton and Danny Elfman had a dust-up?

Yeah, after The Nightmare Before Christmas they had a falling out. That's why Shore scored Ed Wood. I believe Shore was briefly attached to Mars Attacks! before Burton and Elfman patched things up

I'm not sure how or why Revell's name came up, but I find him an even unlikelier choice, even without taking into consideration his retirement. I enjoy his scores from the 90s and early 2000s, but nothing I've heard from him makes me think Avatar. He tended to write for "darker" worlds like The Crow, Pitch Black, Titan A.E., Daredevil, and Sin City. Not that he couldn't be capable of producing something different. I just haven't really heard anything that would make me think of him for Avatar.

While he would never reach the same heights as Horner, I do think Revell wouid be an interesting choice. He's great at writing for ethnic instruments as well electronics. So I think he would be an interesting choice. But considering he's retired it probably won't happen.