Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 2, 2023 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   Rollin Hand   (Member)

Listen to the Fish Man suite from his 90s Columbo score… you really don’t like it?

Yavar

I must confess I find it ordinary. I enjoy the orchestration from a certain era: that's my leaning.
If I had to select Columbo scores for a release, I would either select the entire the first season with the two pilots or the first three seasons under the guidance of Billy Goldenberg because when he left, the music was never of the same level of expression.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2023 - 1:39 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I must confess I find it ordinary.

Huh! I might find it merely "ordinary" for 70s TV scoring, but for whatever reason it strikes me as better than average for 90s TV scoring.

I enjoy the orchestration from a certain era: that's my leaning.
If I had to select Columbo scores for a release, I would either select the entire the first season with the two pilots or the first three seasons under the guidance of Billy Goldenberg because when he left, the music was never of the same level of expression.

Well, for years I've been pushing for an initial 2CD Columbo release for the first season + the pilots, because I calculated and they could all fit. But lately I've been leaning towards a complete 8 CD set (or maybe two 4 CD sets?) containing all the original music written for the initial run of the show. I can't agree with you that the music took a dive in quality after Goldenberg left. I don't think he was a supervisory composer in any way, like say Shirley Walker on Batman: The Animated Series. He may be the biggest name to work on the show, but I found many (maybe not quite all) scores by DeBenedictis and Segall and Williams to be of equal quality, or close to it. Happy to see from his traversal in this thread that Justin seems to agree with me. And though I'm a huge Billy Goldenberg fan in general (when oh when will someone release his Red Sky at Morning on CD??) my favorite Columbo score is, and always will be, Oliver Nelson's "The Greenhouse Jungle".

Yavar

Posted:   Mar 3, 2023 - 9:03 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Finishing "SEASON 9":

"Uneasy Lies the Crown"
By: James Di Pasquale
https://archive.org/embed/columbo/Columbo.S09E05.1990.Uneasy.Lies.the.Crown.720p.BluRay.mkv

Highlights:
  • 5:40 in.^
  • 10:31 in.
  • 14:49 in.
  • 22:51 in.^
  • 1:03:43 in.^
  • 1:33:24 in.^

Unremarkable score and a mediocre episode. I'm not sure how much of this needs to be released, quite frankly.

"Murder in Malibu"
    By: Patrick Williams
    https://archive.org/embed/columbo/Columbo.S09E06.1990.Murder.in.Malibu.720p.BluRay.mkv

Highlights:
  • 0:00 in.^
  • 6:54 in.^
  • 13:37 in.^
  • 18:29 in.^
  • 42:46 in.^
  • 55:37 in.
  • 1:06:04 in. And the cue after the commercial break.^
  • 1:11:16 in.^
  • 1:22:53 in.^
  • 1:30:00 in.^
  • 1:31:52 in. Anybody else think that mannequin looks like Alexis?^

Aside from this episode being very very mediocre -- possibly one of the worst of the series -- a number of actors in here are just doing bad acting jobs; two notable examples: the killer, and the dad of a neighbor.

(NtM: 37:02)

•  
     Posted:   Mar 3, 2023 - 9:17 AM   

No comment on the quality of the Patrick Williams score?

Yavar

Posted:   Mar 3, 2023 - 9:21 AM   

It must have been good, but not great, so I didn't say anything. But like I said, I finished the show over a month ago now, so I don't recall anymore.

Monday when I post more, will be a disappointing day or two inferior efforts.

Posted:   Mar 3, 2023 - 9:27 AM   

Ok. Hoping when you get to the end of the run you’ll share a postmortem calling out all the best scores of the revival series, so I can check them out. But if it’s a bad episode and not great music, I won’t rush to it…

Yavar

Posted:   Mar 3, 2023 - 9:30 AM   

Unfortunately, since I didn't keep any notes, there will be no final list like I did with "Gunsmoke". I will, however, be periodically going back and editing posts to include suites from Fish Man's YouTube channel

Posted:   Mar 3, 2023 - 8:03 PM   
     By:   darthbrett   (Member)

Am I wrong, or is this the first episode where the killer actually tries to murder Columbo to cover the solving of the crime?

Not sure if it's exactly the same scenario, but Susan Clark (Beth Chadwick) pulls a gun on him and contemplates shooting him once he confronts her in 'Lady in Waiting' from season 1 too.

Funny trivia note about that episode, there is a scene when she is in the salon and says, "Bye Felicia." Some on here may recognize this quote that was made famous in the '90s comedy, Friday. It's probably pure coincidence, but I found it funny the same line was delivered in a Columbo episode nearly 25 years before the movie Friday was released and Ice Cube made that a famous catchphrase in pop culture vernacular. Things that make ya go..."hmmmm"?

I must confess I find it ordinary. I enjoy the orchestration from a certain era: that's my leaning.

I definitely am going to disagree with you on that. While Goldenberg's Columbo scores are some of my favorites from the original '70s run, there are some great scores that rivaled his. I love most of DeBenedictis' stuff and they rank right up there with Goldenberg's Columbo scores for me. Yavar also mentioned the exceptional Oliver Nelson 'The Greenhouse Jungle' score. Season 7's scores, which were mostly Patrick Williams, are also all fantastic to me and contain some of my favorite Columbo music as well.

I hope if and when a Columbo music set is ever released that it contains every episode from the '70s run. And though they may not be quite as good, I'd buy a set for the '90s run as well, though it isn't a grail for me like '70s Columbo is!

Posted:   Mar 4, 2023 - 5:06 AM   

PILOTS
    Dave Grusin
    Billy Goldenberg

Season 1
    Billy Goldenberg
    Gil Mellé

Season 2
    Billy Goldenberg
    Oliver Nelson
    Dick de Benedictis

Season 3
    Billy Goldenberg
    Dick de Benedictis

Common Denominator
    Billy Goldenberg launched the sound of Columbo, starting with the 1971 pilot. Billy Goldenberg was the sound of Universal TV of the early Seventies era.

Posted:   Mar 4, 2023 - 7:45 PM   
     By:   darthbrett   (Member)

I have to point out he only scored one episode from season 2 and only one episode from season 3 while the other 9 episodes that had new scores in that same span were from Dick De Benedictis (scored 8) or Nelson (scored 1).

Season 1 was sort of a tie between Goldenberg and Melle with Goldenberg scoring 3 and Melle scoring 3 (Goldenberg gets 4 if you include the 2nd pilot). So it's more of a joint effort between those 2. But to only look at season 1's scores is a bit of a disservice to all the other seasons' of Columbo and their music.

All that being said, the Goldenberg Columbo scores are some of my favorites, but I personally don't necessarily think of him as being the "sound", if you will, of '70s Columbo either. To be honest, De Benedictis' work encapsulates '70s Columbo more than Goldenberg to me since he scored so many more episodes and is heard way more (his episodes got tracked more too since they barely did it in season 1).

Posted:   Mar 6, 2023 - 9:53 AM   

Continuing "SEASON 10":

"Columbo Goes to College"
    By: James Di Pasquale
    https://archive.org/embed/columbo/Columbo.S10E01.1990.Columbo.Goes.to.College.720p.BluRay.mkv

This is the final effort by Pasquale for the series.

Highlights:
  • 19:55 in.^
  • 23:29 in.^
  • 37:59 in.^
  • 43:18 in.^
  • 1:00:38 in.^
  • 1:13:52 in.^
  • 1:30:29 in. The closing cue, but not the annoying end credits cue that follows.

On a set of scoring, little to nothing of this needs to be released.

In earlier seasons, there was a running joke about Columbo getting a new car, but he would always say he has two cars, one is his wife's car. Well, we finally see that second auto (presuming, looking at its age, that its the same one referred to way back then).

(NtM: 5:38)

"Caution: Murder Can Be Hazardous to Your Health"
    By: John Cacavas
    https://archive.org/embed/columbo/Columbo.S10E02.1991.Caution.Murder.Can.Be.Hazardous.to.Your.Health.720p.BluRay.mkv

This is the final effort by Cacavas for the franchise.

Highlights:
  • 10:44 in.^(open/11:47/13:01)
  • 17:48 in.^
  • 27:10 in. The party source music.
  • 33:35 in.
  • 48:41 in. And the cue after the commercial break.^
  • 54:27 in.^
  • 56:06 in.^
  • 1:09:41 in.
  • 1:19:25 in.^
  • 1:28:22 in.^

Aside from the scoring, this episode is kind of a return to old form. Don't get me wrong -- that opening had me worried, but thankfully that turned out to be for a fake TV show inside this episode. The rest of the episode, from approach, plotting, writing, is closer to the show before cancellation. They even dyed Columbo's hair to get rid of all the grey.

I hate to say it, but I would have rejected this score. It just feels out of place, and some cues are just wrong in style and approach. It just doesn't fit the episode. I have hired Schifrin or Goldenberg or DeBenedictis.

(NtM: 41:07)

Columbo: "By the way, what's the difference between a hairdresser and a barber?"
    "Oh, about fifty dollars."

•  
     Posted:   Mar 7, 2023 - 7:30 AM   

Finishing "SEASON 10":

"Columbo and the Murder of a Rock Star"
    By: Steve Dorff
    https://archive.org/embed/columbo/Columbo.S10E03.1991.Columbo.and.the.Murder.of.a.Rock.Star.720p.BluRay.mkv

Highlights:
  • 2:59 in.^
  • 6:55 in.^
  • 12:04 in.^
  • 20:00 in.^
  • 57:23 in.^
  • 1:05:00 in. And the cue after the commercial break.(second)
  • 1:25:36 in.^
  • 1:34:01 in.^

The private eye named Sam Marlowe, is obviously a combination of two radio private investigators: Sam Spade and Phillip Marlowe.

Oh man -- speaking of radio series investigators, how awesome would it have been to have Columbo and Johnny Dollar (played by Bob Bailey) on an investigation?

First time I've ever scene Columbo wearing a hat.

•  
     Posted:   Mar 7, 2023 - 8:34 AM   

The first of two Steve Dorff scores for the series… I guess since you didn’t comment on it, it was decent but nothing special?

Yavar

Posted:   Mar 7, 2023 - 8:35 AM   

Probably it. Ordinarily if a new composer on a series makes a fantastic first effort, I'll go out of my way to note it like on a western series I am doing right now (set to start posting in May).

Posted:   Mar 8, 2023 - 7:41 AM   

"SEASON 11":

"Death Hits the Jackpot"
    By: Steve Dorff
    https://archive.org/embed/columbo/Columbo.S11E01.1991.Death.Hits.the.Jackpot.720p.BluRay.mkv

Highlights:
  • 1:51 in.
  • 4:41 in.^
  • 21:49 in.^
  • 24:32 in.
  • 29:17 in.^
  • 51:49 in. And the cue after the commercial break.^
  • 1:02:22 in.^
  • 1:09:00 in.^
  • 1:10:27 in.^
  • 1:11:41 in.^
  • 1:21:05 in.^
  • 1:26:01 in.^
  • 1:34:40 in.^(end credits)

Rip Torn guest stars as the uncle who steals the $30 million dollar jackpot of his nephew.
    In real life, when he died in 2019, his reported net worth was $10 million dollars.

(NtM: 43:00)

"No Time to Die"
    By: Patrick Williams
    https://archive.org/embed/columbo/Columbo.S11E02.1992.No.Time.to.Die.720p.BluRay.mkv

This is the final effort by Williams for the franchise.

Highlights:
  • 21:37 in.^
  • 38:13 in.^
  • 47:06 in.^
  • 54:54 in.^
  • 1:02:14 in.^
  • 1:07:53 in. And the cue after the commercial break.^
  • 1:27:24 in.^
  • 1:30:04 in. The closing cue, but not the end credits cue (which I don't care for, and which is completely inappropriate after the end of this episode).^

While this TV movie presents a new approach: no murder and a kidnapping investigated shortly after it was committed, the execution is boring and the whole thing fells "off" and not like a regular "Columbo". If it wasn't for the sexy brunette girl, I can't imagine what the episode would have to offer. The scoring is mostly "off", too.
    The brunette girl was played by Joanna Going, who is still alive and acting and is about 50 years old now. She's gone grey really fast though. Still an attractive woman, however.

About 50:23 in: Something is wrong with Peter Falk. Look at the right eye (his left eye) -- it looks left while the other eye does not, and moves oddly.

•  
     Posted:   Mar 8, 2023 - 8:20 AM   

You didn’t know Peter Falk had a glass eye?

Yavar

Posted:   Mar 8, 2023 - 5:04 PM   
     By:   The Mutant   (Member)

New Blu-ray boxset apparently coming from Kino Lorber later this year.

Posted:   Mar 9, 2023 - 7:30 AM   

Finishing "SEASON 11":

Yes -- there were only three for this "season".

"A Bird in the Hand..."
    By: Dick DeBenedictis
    https://archive.org/embed/columbo/Columbo.S11E03.1992.A.Bird.in.the.Hand....720p.BluRay.mkv

Highlights:
  • 2:29 in.^
  • 12:27 in.^
  • 13:51/46:09 in.^
  • 15:35 in. And the cue after the commercial break.^
  • in.^
  • in.^
  • 37:09 in.^
  • 43:47 in.^
  • 54:48 in.^
  • 57:51 in.^
  • 59:17/1:01:48 in.^
  • 1:31:10 in.^

Also guest starring Tyne Daly.

Don S. Davis plays a bit part later on in the episode.

The episode load freezes for a long period and doesn't come back until 34:38 in.

•  

Posted:   Mar 9, 2023 - 7:52 AM   
     By:   tim_p   (Member)

Probably a rights issue but they’re very kindly splitting it into two sets: one set for the NBC seasons and one set for all the others.

Score release imminent I wonder..?

Posted:   Mar 9, 2023 - 9:01 AM   

Probably a rights issue but they’re very kindly splitting it into two sets: one set for the NBC seasons and one set for all the others.

Score release imminent I wonder..?

I don't think so. Kino Lorber used to release Kolchak on Blu-ray too but no CD release happened.
    Two Universal television titles, by the way.

Columbo Is Headed To Blu-Ray From Kino Lorber!