Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 11, 2021 - 2:30 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Another clip with Balfe score

Posted:   Jun 11, 2021 - 4:56 PM   
 By:   Bond1965   (Member)

Bor-fuck-ing. Not sold on this generic scoring that we get these days.

James

Posted:   Jun 11, 2021 - 5:17 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Varese’s announced Deluxe Editions today prompt me to imagine: what could this score have sounded like if John Powell or Don Davis did it?

Yavar

Posted:   Jun 11, 2021 - 9:49 PM   
 By:   igger6   (Member)

Balfe's "casting" here is the perfect emblem of the diminishing appeal of these movies in the post-Endgame era. The heavy hitters in front of the camera have mostly left the building, and it seems Feige's above-average music instincts have abandoned him as well (or else he, too, is getting bored and gazing ever more longingly over the fence at Star Wars). For all our carping about the lack of thematic continuity in the MCU, it's easy to overlook the fact that they gave us 21 mostly solid, almost all orchestral scores with at least one memorable theme apiece. I even seem to recall Mark Mothersbaugh saying that Feige had insisted he incorporate a large-scale orchestra into his Ragnarok score, alongside all the '80s synths, in order to stay on brand for the franchise. Where'd that guy go?

Have we heard who's scoring Eternals? 2 Steps From Hell?

Posted:   Jun 12, 2021 - 12:33 AM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

Balfe's "casting" here is the perfect emblem of the diminishing appeal of these movies in the post-Endgame era.

What “diminishing appeal” is that? Bit of a weeping statement considering there has only been one theatrical Marvel movie since Endgame and that featured a pretty damn good orchestral score.

Upcoming is Eternals directed by an Oscar winner (to answer your query it’s scored by Ramin Djawadi) and also the Doctor Strange movie directed by Sam Rami with a score by Danny Elfman. And although not yet announced I’m betting Beck will come back to score Quantumania, the third Ant Man movie.

Sounds to me that both the MCU generally and it’s music are in very good hands.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2021 - 2:59 PM   

Maybe I’m taking a little poetic license, and I’d forgotten about Elfman’s return (although I’ve voiced my complicated feelings about that on the relevant thread; I’m worried we’ll lose MG’s gangbuster theme). But Djawadi excites me not at all, and neither does anything about Shang Chi, unless they get a real surprise to write the score. I’m just afraid all the good firewood has been used up, and we’re throwing leafier and leafier branches on in hopes of prolonging the bonfire. There’s apparently still a ways to go before the Fantastic Four and the X-Men come back, and it’s looking like something of a desert apart from Strange and Spider-Man.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2021 - 10:28 PM   
 By:   Mephariel   (Member)

Balfe's "casting" here is the perfect emblem of the diminishing appeal of these movies in the post-Endgame era. The heavy hitters in front of the camera have mostly left the building, and it seems Feige's above-average music instincts have abandoned him as well (or else he, too, is getting bored and gazing ever more longingly over the fence at Star Wars). For all our carping about the lack of thematic continuity in the MCU, it's easy to overlook the fact that they gave us 21 mostly solid, almost all orchestral scores with at least one memorable theme apiece. I even seem to recall Mark Mothersbaugh saying that Feige had insisted he incorporate a large-scale orchestra into his Ragnarok score, alongside all the '80s synths, in order to stay on brand for the franchise. Where'd that guy go?

I have a different take on this. I think Marvel gave us 21 scores with around 30 minutes of memorable music. That is how lackluster Marvel scores have been so far. I can't understand how we have 30 hours of music probably, and not a single genre defining score. With that said, I don't disagree the scores overall are solid. They are not bad scores, just almost never spectacular.

I bet you ask play excepts from all the scores to 10 people on the streets, the only one they remember is the Avengers theme.

Posted:   Jun 13, 2021 - 4:54 PM   
 By:   lonzoe1   (Member)

Maybe I’m taking a little poetic license, and I’d forgotten about Elfman’s return (although I’ve voiced my complicated feelings about that on the relevant thread; I’m worried we’ll lose MG’s gangbuster theme). But Djawadi excites me not at all, and neither does anything about Shang Chi, unless they get a real surprise to write the score. I’m just afraid all the good firewood has been used up, and we’re throwing leafier and leafier branches on in hopes of prolonging the bonfire. There’s apparently still a ways to go before the Fantastic Four and the X-Men come back, and it’s looking like something of a desert apart from Strange and Spider-Man.

https://heroichollywood.com/danny-elfman-michael-giacchino-doctor-strange-theme/

“We’ll definitely refer to his original theme, and I’ll no doubt be coming up with new motifs for new situations and characters. I’m not going to ignore it. I don’t believe in that. There’s this weird thought process in Hollywood every time you do something new that you’ve got to let the original musical themes go and start fresh. I think that doesn’t serve an audience well. So I like doing variations on a theme that I know for a character that an audience already associates with them. I think that’s important. When I did Avengers: Age of Ultron, I was very careful to find places to play around with Alan Silvestri’s theme. And I enjoyed it.”

Posted:   Jul 3, 2021 - 1:07 AM   
 By:   AdoKrycha007   (Member)

One week left !

Posted:   Jul 6, 2021 - 12:07 AM   

ShitTunes - Hollywood Records/Marvel Music - July 9, 2021:

1. Natasha’s Lullaby (3:24)
2. Latrodectus (2:40)
3. Fireflies (3:13)
4. The Pursuit (2:53)
5. The First Bite Is the Deepest (3:05)
6. Last Glimmer (4:19)
7. Dreykov (3:34)
8. You Don’t Know Me (2:01)
9. Yelena Belova (3:36)
10. From the Shadows (3:44)
11. Hand in Hand (2:46)
12. Blood Ties (2:54)
13. Whirlwind (3:28)
14. Arise (2:13)
15. Natasha’s Fragments (1:55)
16. A Sister Says Goodbye (4:14)
17. I Can’t Save Us (1:51)
18. Red Rising (3:57)
19. The Betrayed (5:38)
20. The Descent (2:05)
21. Faces to the Sun (1:51)
22. Natasha Soars (2:19)
23. Last Love (1:59)
24. Into the Past (4:55)
25. Broken Free (3:09)
26. A Calling (2:10)

Posted:   Jul 6, 2021 - 1:06 AM   
 By:   Randy Watson   (Member)

ShitTunes

Seriously dude, grow up

Posted:   Jul 6, 2021 - 1:31 AM   

No CD = No sale

Posted:   Jul 6, 2021 - 2:04 AM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Don't feed the trolls, report them.

Posted:   Jul 6, 2021 - 7:54 AM   
 By:   moviescore1   (Member)

I have a different take on this. I think Marvel gave us 21 scores with around 30 minutes of memorable music. That is how lackluster Marvel scores have been so far. I can't understand how we have 30 hours of music probably, and not a single genre defining score. With that said, I don't disagree the scores overall are solid. They are not bad scores, just almost never spectacular.

I bet you ask play excepts from all the scores to 10 people on the streets, the only one they remember is the Avengers theme.

The only other themes that my kids can identify from Marvel movies when they come up on a playlist are Beck's AntMan Theme (which I think is a great score), and Giacchno's "Spider-Man" theme.

Posted:   Jul 6, 2021 - 1:58 PM   

https://heroichollywood.com/danny-elfman-michael-giacchino-doctor-strange-theme/

“We’ll definitely refer to his original theme, and I’ll no doubt be coming up with new motifs for new situations and characters. I’m not going to ignore it. I don’t believe in that. There’s this weird thought process in Hollywood every time you do something new that you’ve got to let the original musical themes go and start fresh. I think that doesn’t serve an audience well. So I like doing variations on a theme that I know for a character that an audience already associates with them. I think that’s important. When I did Avengers: Age of Ultron, I was very careful to find places to play around with Alan Silvestri’s theme. And I enjoyed it.”

Wow, that's fantastic news! I hadn't heard that. Thanks for sharing!

Posted:   Jul 8, 2021 - 2:24 PM   

Black Widow watching „Moonraker” on TV… It’s everything ! <3

Posted:   Jul 9, 2021 - 8:54 AM   

Not sure how the music is in the film, but on album this is easily one of Balfe better efforts.

Posted:   Jul 9, 2021 - 11:11 AM   
 By:   jedizim   (Member)

Mondo vinyl up for Pre-order:

Posted:   Jul 9, 2021 - 12:07 PM   
 By:   Mose Harper   (Member)

Not sure how the music is in the film, but on album this is easily one of Balfe better efforts.

A couple tracks stood out from the rest on first listen.

I would have much preferred to have heard what Desplat would have done, but I have no particular axe to grind with Balfe.

Zimmer's WW84 grabbed me right from the start and turned out to be at the top of my favorite superhero/comic-book movie scores of the last thirty years. Rewatching that (problematic) film again recently, just cemented that for me.

This seems more in the realm of serviceable on first listen, but there wasn't anything in it I actively disliked.
I'll give it a few more plays over the weekend and see how I feel about it next week.

Posted:   Jul 9, 2021 - 12:31 PM   

A couple tracks stood out from the rest on first listen.

I would have much preferred to have heard what Desplat would have done, but I have no particular axe to grind with Balfe.

Zimmer's WW84 grabbed me right from the start and turned out to be at the top of my favorite superhero/comic-book movie scores of the last thirty years. Rewatching that (problematic) film again recently, just cemented that for me.

This seems more in the realm of serviceable on first listen, but there wasn't anything in it I actively disliked.
I'll give it a few more plays over the weekend and see how I feel about it next week.

It is not close to WW84 level imo, but for a Marvel score, and a Balfe score, I enjoyed it very much. I thought it has a very distinct personality and is surprisingly mature. I guess that was why they thought Desplat would be a good choice.