Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 17, 2023 - 1:19 PM   
 By:   NSBulk   (Member)

Some day someone will acknowledge that "Arthur's Farewell" and "Camelot Lives" are incorrectly labelled on First Knight and actually fix them! Yes, even on the LLL release!

My recollection is those are how the titles are assigned on the cue sheet. It happens sometimes. On "Rambo: First Blood Part II" the cue titles "The Gunboat" and "River Crash" are swapped on the cue sheet.

Neil

Posted:   Feb 10, 2023 - 12:18 PM   
 By:   jonathan_little   (Member)

It's also available as a digital download on Qobuz, sans the bonus/alternate tracks.

This is not the new LLL master.

There's a new version out now on Qobuz that seems to be related to this release:

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/the-burbs-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-jerry-goldsmith/l1vfmzvnuborb

Posted:   Feb 10, 2023 - 12:21 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I wonder if Qobuz will ever get a hi-res version of the new master from analogue sources...

Yavar

Posted:   Feb 10, 2023 - 12:23 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

It's on the other usual platforms now too

https://us.7digital.com/artist/jerry-goldsmith/release/the-burbs-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-expanded-edition-26908891?f=17429480

https://music.apple.com/us/artist/jerry-goldsmith/504767

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nAK15qY8YNBSlxx1f029ED1Za-s8DtpjM

https://open.spotify.com/album/1CD0fLGaXLl7pbPmLYtFLb?si=VgFQFchzQIORAHQ4gCUWjA

Posted:   Feb 14, 2023 - 6:50 AM   
 By:   W. David Lichty [Lorien]   (Member)

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/12158340-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-the-burbs-1989-with-joe-dante-and-marshall-harvey

Clark writes: A lot of unusual noises have been heard in Jerry Goldsmith’s score for The ‘Burbs, so we gathered all of the neighbors together to discuss them. In this very special Soundtrack Spotlight, your humble hosts Yavar, David, Jens, and Clark are pleased to welcome director Joe Dante, editor Marshall Harvey, recording engineer Bruce Botnick, album co-producer Neil S. Bulk, and album art designer Dan Goldwasser. You’ll hear stories about the creation of the film, discussion of the wide array of colorful elements in Goldsmith’s witty score, insights on the creation of the Morricone-heavy temp track, details on the improved sound and additional music offered by the new La-La Land release, and much more! In addition, we also take a little time to discuss the group’s memories of Goldsmith’s collaboration with Dante on the comparably spirited and eclectic Looney Tunes: Back in Action, which turned out to be the final score of the composer’s remarkable career. It’s a joyful, tuneful show with lots of music and memories, so open the trunk and see what you find!

By the way, as I post, the great sounding new release is still up at La-La Land

https://lalalandrecords.com/burbs-the-remastered-and-expanded-limited-edition/

Posted:   Feb 14, 2023 - 12:49 PM   
 By:   cshaneyfelt   (Member)

WOW!! I can't wait to listen to this Odyssey Spotlight episode! I love this score and the LLL release is outstanding.

Posted:   Feb 15, 2023 - 6:26 PM   

Terrific episode! Great fun, very informative, and well produced with great hosts and guests! One of my very favorite Spotlights. Well done!

Posted:   Feb 15, 2023 - 8:05 PM   

Thanks, Chris! Glad you enjoyed it.

Yavar

Posted:   Feb 16, 2023 - 4:26 AM   

Terrific episode! Great fun, very informative, and well produced with great hosts and guests! One of my very favorite Spotlights. Well done!

Thank you so much, Chris! It was fun to put together. How great is it that we got to have access to the temp score (hats off to Shout Factory!) plus Joe and Marshall? What a treat it was to have them talk through some of that with us.

Here's that Shout Factory blu-ray, by the way:
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-burbs-collector-s-edition?product_id=6633

Posted:   Feb 16, 2023 - 9:46 AM   
 By:   steffromuk   (Member)

Wonderful episode!

Even though I'm one of the few who hate the movie, It was still super interesting to learn so many cool things about its making and its amazing score.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2023 - 11:16 AM   
 By:   Mike Esssss   (Member)

I'm about halfway through this episode and really digging it. It's helping me connect with this score in a way I never have before.

How great is it that we got to have access to the temp score (hats off to Shout Factory!) plus Joe and Marshall? What a treat it was to have them talk through some of that with us.

About that temp score, there's a snippet of score from Les Baxter in one of the clips played on the show but I can't place it. Anyone?

Posted:   Feb 17, 2023 - 11:22 AM   

I'm about halfway through this episode and really digging it. It's helping me connect with this score in a way I never have before.

How great is it that we got to have access to the temp score (hats off to Shout Factory!) plus Joe and Marshall? What a treat it was to have them talk through some of that with us.

About that temp score, there's a snippet of score from Les Baxter in one of the clips played on the show but I can't place it. Anyone?

Mike, I think it gets mentioned in the show (that music comes up specifically about three times, if you haven't heard it yet.)

If I'm wrong about that, though, let me know.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2023 - 11:28 AM   
 By:   Mike Esssss   (Member)

Mike, I think it gets mentioned in the show (that music comes up specifically about three times, if you haven't heard it yet.)

It was identified as Les Baxter but not score itself, at least not yet. I'll finish out the show and see if it comes up again. Thanks.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2023 - 1:45 PM   

It was identified as Les Baxter but not score itself, at least not yet. I'll finish out the show and see if it comes up again. Thanks.

Mike, I think it's a cue from The Dunwich Horror.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2023 - 1:54 PM   

Thank you so much, Chris! It was fun to put together. How great is it that we got to have access to the temp score (hats off to Shout Factory!) plus Joe and Marshall? What a treat it was to have them talk through some of that with us.

Absolutely great, David! I really like the way you compared and contrasted the temp cues with Goldsmith's finished cues. I'm also amazed that that you found a clip from Dante's Picture Windows episode "Lightning." Wow! I think I've seen everything Dante has directed except for "Lightning" and the "Haunted Lighthouse" short.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2023 - 2:00 PM   

I asked Dante himself and he was kind enough to provide us with it! That was a last minute addition but one well worth waiting on, for inclusion.

Yavar

Posted:   Feb 17, 2023 - 2:10 PM   

I asked Dante himself and he was kind enough to provide us with it! That was a last minute addition but one well worth waiting on, for inclusion.

Yavar

Well worth it indeed, Yavar - amazing!

Posted:   Feb 17, 2023 - 5:45 PM   
 By:   ScottDS   (Member)

Great episode! And surprisingly emotional when the topic turned to Looney Tunes: Back in Action.

I should point out that The ’Burbs rough cut originally appeared on the UK Blu-Ray release from Arrow Video and Shout! Factory ported it over for their release. (Full disclosure: I do design work for Arrow but I didn’t work on this release.) smile

Posted:   Feb 27, 2023 - 10:36 AM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

I finally got around to ordering this, and I can't wait to get it it's one of my favorite Goldsmith scores.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2023 - 10:20 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

@NSBulk - did you actually remove the horn flub in Square One someway, or do my ears deceive me??? Alwaya drove me batty...I can hardly believe it!

There was an intercut between takes in the film that we duplicated for this release.

Neil

Neil,

Can you share what other cues have intercuts in the film, that were not replicated on the old edition, but now do on this great new edition?