Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 11:53 AM   
 By:   Timmer   (Member)

It won't be long before Alex's posts take us beyond the event horizon.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 11:59 AM   
 By:   JB Fan   (Member)

Look, what a shameless people!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Hole-cd-sealed-intrada-John-Barry-/260840726654?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3cbb51a07e#ht_1075wt_1031

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 12:00 PM   
 By:   Neil S. Bulk   (Member)

I ask myself, that no one recognized the mistake in the tracklist ! wink

15. Laser (1:01)*
16. Kate’s O.K. (2:49)

corrrect would be:

15: Kate's O.K. (1:01)
16: Laser (2:49)

I hope this is fixed on the CD and the cover !!

It's not broken. "Laser" is the cue when Dan bursts into the room and starts shooting up the place. "Kate's O.K." is the cue that plays after that when they go through the hallways. "Kate's O.K." was retitled "Laser" for the album and had the first :32 cut off.

Neil

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 12:10 PM   
 By:   d-udo   (Member)

I ask myself, that no one recognized the mistake in the tracklist ! wink

15. Laser (1:01)*
16. Kate’s O.K. (2:49)

corrrect would be:

15: Kate's O.K. (1:01)
16: Laser (2:49)

I hope this is fixed on the CD and the cover !!

It's not broken. "Laser" is the cue when Dan bursts into the room and starts shooting up the place. "Kate's O.K." is the cue that plays after that when they go through the hallways. "Kate's O.K." was retitled "Laser" for the album and had the first :32 cut off.

Neil

*imitating Dave Gahan* "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright !! wink wink

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 12:22 PM   
 By:   MerM   (Member)

Got my shipping notice. big grin

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 12:27 PM   

Got my shipping notice. big grin

i hate you lucky bastard !!!!!! smile

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 12:27 PM   

sorry doublepost !

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 12:30 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

I wanna get sucked in. SAE does not seem to be carrying over new releases to Amazon UK. Pity, because it's ever so convenient to purchase with them that way.

So, does anyone in the UK have any good or bad stories about buying direct from SAE? I've only ever had good service buying via Amazon but still, I'm a little unsure of how to proceed. Several releases have gone by with no shows on Amazon. I don't want to get left out.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 12:33 PM   
 By:   scrapsly   (Member)

How long is everyone going to be wound up about this release ? There is always alot of excitement about getting a title but it does not seem to last long. This is one of the titles that I have wanted on CD for a long time so I will be excited for a long time. There is not much new music for me to get excited about. It is a great time to be a fan.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 12:52 PM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

I wanna get sucked in. SAE does not seem to be carrying over new releases to Amazon UK. Pity, because it's ever so convenient to purchase with them that way.

So, does anyone in the UK have any good or bad stories about buying direct from SAE? I've only ever had good service buying via Amazon but still, I'm a little unsure of how to proceed. Several realeases have gone by with no shows on Amazon. I don't want to get left out.

As another UK resident I've had nothing but good service from SAE.They might not be quite as fast as Amazon but that would be the only negative and it isn't much.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 12:56 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

Appreciated, spook.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 1:04 PM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

does anybody of you hear similarities between the cue "Hotter and Heavier" and the cue "Cable Car Fight" from "Monnraker" ??
)

well, as one FSM reviewer once wrote [in a review of a different Barry score]
"where does one John Barry score end, and another begin?"

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 1:05 PM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

I wonder how excited Alex Klein is to finally have this CD. wink

Congratulations, by the way!

Does Alex even know yet?

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 1:07 PM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

This was the only movie I was embarrassed by when I took a date to it.

I was going to see it on my 14th birthday in 1983*, but Herbie Goes Bananas was held over for a day so I ended up seeing that instead.

How was the "Herbie" score?

Intrada, what are the chances of a "Herbie" box?

Nil, I hope. big grin

Well...not one before a box of Hayley Mills scores!

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 1:39 PM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

does anybody of you hear similarities between the cue "Hotter and Heavier" and the cue "Cable Car Fight" from "Monnraker" ??
)

well, as one FSM reviewer once wrote [in a review of a different Barry score]
"where does one John Barry score end, and another begin?"

Which only goes to show what idiots some reviewers are! smile

Yes, of course there are similarities between works ... how else would anyone recognise music by Beethoven ... or The Beatles ... and if you don't listen they do sound the same, some more than others.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 2:16 PM   
 By:   Alex Klein   (Member)

eekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeek

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 2:27 PM   
 By:   Superman1701   (Member)

I wanted this score as much as Alex! Lol

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 2:30 PM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

While there is no doubt that John Barry has a consistent, very distinctive style and there are various musical devices he employs time and again, it's not like you can't tell one score from another. The style may pervade but the music itself is always very different.

You'd have to be pretty tone deaf to not be able to tell The Black Hole apart from, say, Moonraker. The themes are totally different. Same with Somewhere In Time and Out Of Africa. Very similar 'kind' of music, yes, but hardly difficult to tell apart.

Personally, I have to say I don't find any similarity whatsoever between "Cable Car" in Moonraker and "Hotter And Heavier" in The Black Hole. It's not that I can't see similarities between different works, but in this case the rhythm figure is completely different and the 'theme' is completely different. It isn't even played in the same octave or by the same group of instruments.

So I'm afraid I have to pass on that supposed similarity.

Cheers

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 2:30 PM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

I wanted this score as much as Alex! Lol

Me too. Except I've been wanting it since before Alex was even born!!!

Posted:   Aug 23, 2011 - 2:38 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

I wonder how "unlimited" opposed to "limited" affects sales? If this was a 3000 limited edition would this title have sold out in 24 hours? How many are holding off a few weeks or months so they can combine orders with future releases? I'm holding off a week. I waited this long I can wait a bit longer.