Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 22, 2014 - 11:44 AM   
 By:   DannyBiker   (Member)

Yes, in two years, for the Super Ultra Limited Edition Boxset.

Posted:   Dec 22, 2014 - 4:01 PM   
 By:   jwb   (Member)

The Danny Elfman Batman Collection is absolutely fantastic! One of the best soundtrack sets ever released, I think. I found just one tiny, little flaw that is no big deal: CD 4, Track 1 ("Umbrella Source" etc.) has digital glitches in the left audio channel, at 1:29, 3:06, 4:45, and 6:20. Since the master of "Batman Returns" is identical to the one used on the previous double-CD set, owners of that set can just rip that track from the old version, which does not have those glitches.

I heard this exact same glitch. Any chance LLL will repress the disc?

Yep, there is definitely a problem here. But what if you aren't a previous owner?

Posted:   Dec 22, 2014 - 4:54 PM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Yep, there is definitely a problem here. But what if you aren't a previous owner?

FFS Yep, there are glitches. Considering LLL forced us to rebuy Batman Returns to get the improved Batman I think we can feel justifiably peeved that the new disc is worse than the old. I really don't want to hold onto my old Returns set, and I don't rip music so that workaround doesn't apply, nor should it have to.

So what about it LLL. Any chance of a repress? Thanks!

Posted:   Dec 22, 2014 - 10:55 PM   
 By:   La La Land Records   (Member)

It has been discovered that our first pressing of THE DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION has a minor audio flaw on Disc 4. On Track 1 of Disc 4, at 6:21, there is a slight sonic defect. This will be corrected on all future repressings of this title.

If you have a Disc 4 with the Track 1 flaw and wish a replacement disc. Please e-mail info@lalaland-ent.com with the subject heading BATMAN DISC 4 REPLACEMENT and make sure you include your name and exact mailing address in the body of your e-mail. We will begin sending out replacement discs in mid January 2015, when we get them in stock.

Posted:   Dec 22, 2014 - 11:46 PM   
 By:   JB Fan   (Member)

Thanks, MV!

Already done.

Once again - great service from LLL.

Posted:   Dec 23, 2014 - 3:09 AM   

It has been discovered that our first pressing of THE DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION has a minor audio flaw on Disc 4. On Track 1 of Disc 4, at 6:21, there is a slight sonic defect. This will be corrected on all future repressings of this title.

That's brilliant news. And quick. Thank you!

Dare I ask what's up with the 3 other defects that have been reported on the same track?

Posted:   Dec 24, 2014 - 5:36 AM   

Just to confirm, after listening to this twice more:

There are FOUR defects on disc 4, track 1 at the times previously noted:
1:29, 3:06, 4:45, and 6:21.

6:21 is the most obvious, yes, but the other three are the same type of defect.

If you're going to repress the disc, please can you address all FOUR errors?

Thanks!

Posted:   Dec 24, 2014 - 10:45 AM   

Just to confirm, after listening to this twice more:

There are FOUR defects on disc 2, track 1 at the times previously noted:
1:29, 3:06, 4:45, and 6:21.

6:21 is the most obvious, yes, but the other three are the same type of defect.

If you're going to repress the disc, please can you address all FOUR errors?

Thanks!

For my ears, only 6:21 sounds is defect - at first listening I thought that first three were some kind of echo from drum...

But once again - it's for my ears only (good title for For Your Eyes Only remake big grin).
I hope that as LLL have much more information, they will correct only technical errors, not musician mistakes wink

Posted:   Dec 25, 2014 - 12:49 PM   
 By:   CitizenJoe   (Member)

So if I want to order this, should I hold off until the second pressing arrives?

Posted:   Dec 30, 2014 - 6:54 AM   
 By:   Merry Goldsmith   (Member)

Talking about possible glitches on "Big Top Pee-Wee": why is track 14 ("Zsa Zsa/Happy Circus") so abruptly cut-off and leading into the percussion intro of track 15 ("Zsa Zsa's Delight")? This is a very arkward edit. "Happy Circus" runs several seconds longer on the old Arista-CD, without this arkward ending.

Posted:   Dec 30, 2014 - 7:36 AM   
 By:   jwb   (Member)

For my ears, only 6:21 sounds is defect - at first listening I thought that first three were some kind of echo from drum...

But once again - it's for my ears only (good title for For Your Eyes Only remake big grin).
I hope that as LLL have much more information, they will correct only technical errors, not musician mistakes wink

No, there is more than one defect. I'm hoping MV just means they will be correcting the defects up to 6:21. Because the original Returns release definitely doesn't have any of these glitches and if its the same master its simply a defect from the plant.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2015 - 4:54 PM   
 By:   Jonathan   (Member)

Wow, I love THE PASSION. I love LaLaLand's work. Especially disc two is a great listening. I just had it in and I had to repeat the whole disc again. Thank you!

Posted:   Jan 11, 2015 - 3:17 PM   
 By:   General Kael   (Member)

"Main Title" is a previously unreleased mix, designated "70mm" on all our tapes. The "35mm" mix is closer to the film version (it may be the film version) and is the "alt 2" on disc 2. The reason for that decision is because we used the "35mm" mix there in 2010. It's the same take (note the squeak at the start, it's there in the movie, too) just a different mix.

Neil

Neil

So does this mean that the 70mm version is a higher quality recording, closer to the actual sound than the other 35mm one? I do realize as you've pointed out that they are qualitatively different in the mix, but I'm wondering if the 70mm has more clarity in its respective mix than the 35mm does. I'm also wondering if the newly discovered elements were indeed 70mm tapes and that is what was used for the redux of this Album. If so, how does the 35mm version sound better here than it did on the 2010 release? Gone is the clipping, etc.

Thanks so much for your input if you happen to see this!

Posted:   Jan 11, 2015 - 4:04 PM   
 By:   La La Land Records   (Member)

No, there is more than one defect. I'm hoping MV just means they will be correcting the defects up to 6:21. Because the original Returns release definitely doesn't have any of these glitches and if its the same master its simply a defect from the plant.

We will start sending out the replacement BATMAN Disc 4 on Monday. In order to make sure there were no errors on this we opened up a copy of our old 2 cd set of BATMAN RETURNS and sent the plant the second disc out of that brand new factory sealed cd set. It was perfect then and it sounds perfect now. We do apologize for the bum master that went out for this box set. Some times shit happens and it costs you several grand in WEA manufacturing fees and shipping. smile

MV

Posted:   Jan 12, 2015 - 2:49 PM   
 By:   Uhtred   (Member)

Really enjoying the Enterprise set. Fine selections for all the composers (maybe a wee bit more David Bell needed) but the standout for me is Velton Ray Bunch. I didn't know much about him apart from that he previously worked on Quantum Leap but I want to hear more now.

Posted:   Jan 14, 2015 - 1:29 AM   

We will start sending out the replacement BATMAN Disc 4 on Monday. In order to make sure there were no errors on this we opened up a copy of our old 2 cd set of BATMAN RETURNS and sent the plant the second disc out of that brand new factory sealed cd set. It was perfect then and it sounds perfect now. We do apologize for the bum master that went out for this box set. Some times shit happens and it costs you several grand in WEA manufacturing fees and shipping. smile

MV

And I already got shipping confirmation! Great service LLL (as always).
But of course it's sad that you lost some money with this repressing.

Posted:   Jan 16, 2015 - 9:19 AM   
 By:   davefg   (Member)

MV

And I already got shipping confirmation! Great service LLL (as always).
But of course it's sad that you lost some money with this repressing.

For those of you who bought Batman when it was first released under LLL and who bought this set, is there any major differences in the sound?

Posted:   Jan 16, 2015 - 4:18 PM   
 By:   John Mullin   (Member)

For those of you who bought Batman when it was first released under LLL and who bought this set, is there any major differences in the sound?

As others have said, the difference is massive. Certain cues (like "Clown Attack" and "Joker Commercial") almost sound like completely different recordings. The earlier versions were hissy and there was a lot of stage noise.... almost as if the element they used was a handheld tape recorder that someone just held up in the back of the stage. This new version sounds crystal clear and rock solid. If you're crazy about this score, it's a must-purchase.

Posted:   Jan 16, 2015 - 5:03 PM   
 By:   darthbrett   (Member)

Oh you better believe there is a huuuuge difference! Definitely worth buying this new set for the new remastered Batman! Some cues are a night and day difference. If I remember right, some of the 2010 cues used film stems. So this set is a gigantic upgrade. Highly recommend picking it up if you are a big fan of Elfman's Batman score for sure!

Posted:   Jan 17, 2015 - 11:25 AM   
 By:   Seltzer   (Member)

Disc 1 (Batman) Track 30, the sound is weird from 0:44
The sound is distorted.

Is this normal ?