Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 6:53 AM   
 By:   couvee   (Member)

Welcome to the era of social media, José. The people you described don't care about the music at all. I really hope this will not discourage you too much. Thanks a lot to all involved (and also my compliments to your designer Nacho B. Govantes who always does an excellent job. I personally think graphic design is important and this is what sets Quartet releases apart from many other labels with less talented designers). You have fans among this community of brainless people. In Herrmann's own words; "Music is a fluid art; it's a living art. And living art means each time it's played, it's reborn". Thank you for bringing back this music. I am absolutely thrilled about this new recording and can't wait to hear it. And I very much look forward to 'Endless Night' next year!

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 7:27 AM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

I was thrilled when I learned about this release, Jose. I've ordered it and am looking forward to a great listen.

Don't let the naysayers get you down. Some people just like to stir up trouble.

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 7:52 AM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

I hope your heartfelt post, Jose, spurs pages of positivity- I'm not surprised (despite not seeing them elsewhere) by some of those unfortunate & misinformed ravings. Sick, sick people.
You have my support, I love the work you do & will very happily support & enjoy your labels endeavors.
Very very excited to hear this Herrmann, bravo & thank you!!!!

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 7:55 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Hi to everyone,
I have not posted on this board – or even announced our new releases here – for several months because, besides being very busy, I’m a shy man and don’t know what I can contribute. I always prefer that our albums speak for themselves. But now, I think it will be good to clarify certain things in a positive mood.

Jose's responses to valid questions and uninformed criticisms is not apologizing but clarification and education, which is appreciated. Obviously the overt insults should be ignored and deleted. Looking forward to Endless Night. smile

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 8:05 AM   
 By:   Moviedrone   (Member)

The fact that Jose had to come here and post his extremely gracious words is embarrassing to the board and the community as a whole.

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 8:39 AM   
 By:   davefg   (Member)

The fact that Jose had to come here and post his extremely gracious words is embarrassing to the board and the community as a whole.

It's moments like this why I wonder why I even engage with this community. This has to one of the worst episodes of "fandom" that I can remember reading about. Somethings this community deserves only scorn, and this is one of those moments.

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 8:46 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Jose:
– "I prefer the synthesizer version that one guy is doing instead of your trash recording" … I don’t have an answer to that.

The answer to that one is simply to tell that person: Up your nose with a rubber hose.

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 9:01 AM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

It is a depressing fact of life in 2018 that the know-nothings we were once blissfully unaware of now have a megaphone on the internet to arrogantly spew their ignorance.

Thank you, Jose, for your impossibly gracious response. And more importantly, for your passion for this music. My copy is due Monday, along with "8½," and I eagerly await both.

And I also prefer the McNeely "Vertigo." There's room for all of us!

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 9:07 AM   
 By:   robertmro   (Member)

Hi Jose,

Most of us silently appreciate what have done and are doing.

It’s unfortunate that there was overlap other planned projects but it looks like you’re dealing with that. I’m just glad that you and others are taking on the work of preserving this music.
My only recommendation is that you follow your heart and pay little attention to the loudest voices on the forums because they will always lead you astray.

You can count on my support for any crowdfunded projects even if they are concurrent with another.

Best wishes and keep up the good work.

Robert

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 9:07 AM   
 By:   couvee   (Member)

It’s so easy and so unfair to insult people who put a lot of energy and their own money into risky projects like re-recordings of old filmscores. It’s really depressing indeed that people who make these insults get so much attention. They themselves never ever contribute anything positive to society, nor are they creative. The fact that all this came before they even had the opportunity to listen to the actual recording itself is telling. I stopped using facebook a year ago for this reason and removed my profile. I hope I don’t have to do the same here, I really like to read positive responses and interesting remarks. Usually I ignore the threads that derail into insults. I don’t know what it is about the internet that people do that. Hiding behind avatars is one of them. In real life, face to face, they would never dare to say those things. Cowards.

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 9:36 AM   

Well, I don't believe anyone has insulted the release here. Let Facebook take the blame for its malcontents.

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 9:36 AM   
 By:   lacoq   (Member)

It’s so easy and so unfair to insult people who put a lot of energy and their own money into risky projects like re-recordings of old filmscores. It’s really depressing indeed that people who make these insults get so much attention. They themselves never ever contribute anything positive to society, nor are they creative. The fact that all this came before they even had the opportunity to listen to the actual recording itself is telling. I stopped using facebook a year ago for this reason and removed my profile. I hope I don’t have to do the same here, I really like to read positive responses and interesting remarks. Usually I ignore the threads that derail into insults. I don’t know what it is about the internet that people do that. Hiding behind avatars is one of them. In real life, face to face, they would never dare to say those things. Cowards.

Well said! Ignore the fools...their not worth your breath!

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 9:37 AM   
 By:   lacoq   (Member)

Well said! Ignore the fools...they're not worth your breath!

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 10:40 AM   
 By:   orbital   (Member)

My sentiments exactly.

Thank you very much, José & Quartet Records, for being there. You're doing the right thing.

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 11:44 AM   
 By:   Loverozsa   (Member)

I am VERY GRATEFUL for this recording and for what will come in the spring- "Endless Night". Thank You, Jose!
Disregard the idiotic criticism. Those who made it are jackasses, and not very intelligent ones! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 11:44 AM   
 By:   batman&robin   (Member)

I received my "Bride" yesterday and I've been listening to it non stop all night.

Just want to say I think it's a breathtaking release. The reconstruction is brilliant, the performance is stunning, and the recording balance is just perfect.

José and the whole Quartet team have my deepest thanks and admiration for doing such a marvelous job!

Don't know who could criticize this amazing work, which is a kind of a small miracle itself. As a person who knows what it takes to achieve this kind of goals, I'm enjoying the result immensely.

Thank you so very very much!!

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 12:41 PM   
 By:   Chris Malone   (Member)

It’s disappointing that José feels the need to write a lengthy justification to us all about his project. However, I hope the supporters far outweigh the vociferous detractors and we can look forward to this and more superb Herrmann and other new recordings in future. It’s not everyday we get to relish in newly recorded music from a classic film score—something to celebrate! Bravo!

Chris

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 1:00 PM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

Those of us with a full deck of cards are really excited about this CD, and Endless Night next year.

Those other voices will go away as soon as some other nonsensical gripe presents itself to them.

The rest of us get to enjoy an hour's worth of newly-recorded Herrmann.

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 1:18 PM   
 By:   William Stromberg   (Member)

Jose,

I would like to publicly apologize for mentioning that I was thinking about recording these scores next year. I had no knowledge of your recording and I was just getting the ball rolling on these scores when I saw your announcement. I should have kept my big mouth shut out of respect. I am very sorry about that. I’m disgusted that people on Facebook have been putting your recording down without even hearing it. That made me sick. I wish you nothing but the most success with your recordings and I’m very proud of your efforts. It sounds like you did an amazing job. Herrmann fans should be ecstatic. Again, sorry to open this stupid can of worms.

Best of luck and congrats!
William Stromberg

P.S. Thanks for the compliments

Posted:   Dec 15, 2018 - 1:25 PM   

I would think re-recording musicians will always suffer some criticism, so you're both...companions in a nightmare. wink