Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 10:19 AM   
 By:   FalkirkBairn   (Member)

Sounds like a great time. Does the place have a website?

Very authentic drinks, many which are also on the Mai-Kai menu!

https://burntendstikibar.com/menu/

I could quite happily work my way through that menu!

Posted:   May 15, 2021 - 10:33 AM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

Sounds like a great time. Does the place have a website?

Very authentic drinks, many which are also on the Mai-Kai menu!

https://burntendstikibar.com/menu/

I could quite happily work my way through that menu!

I most certainly will in the coming months!

Posted:   May 16, 2021 - 2:06 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Indeed. That's not only a drink, but an "event". Not usually a drinks person, but those look great.

I was hung over all yesterday, because I went out on Friday. Great to meet some people again (we were within the allowed limit of 5 people, no worries). A friend of mine has an apartment by the pier, and we sat on the balcony for many hours and gazed out on the sea (despite shoddy weather). I made home-made pizza for everyone. Also brought along a delicious bottle of Crémant (which is somewhere between Champagne and Prosecco) for everyone to share, plus the odd wine and beer.

Tomorrow is Norway's independence day, but I won't partake in any celebrations (even if there were any in these covid times). But it means that I can have a few units tonight, which is very rare for me as far as Sundays are concerned.

Posted:   May 30, 2021 - 4:02 PM   

Tonight we are having guests over in our Bora Bora room.

I will be mixing Test Pilots, a blender drink that is similar to the Jet Pilot.

For music, we will alternate between jungle sound effects and an exotica various artists playlist.

Posted:   May 31, 2021 - 12:44 AM   

And on a Monday even?!? No, seriously, sounds like a blast, Onya.

Summer weather washed over Norway this weekend (temps close to 30C yesterday), and will continue for some time. Spent Saturday afternoon, evening and night on a roof terrace down by the pier (a friend owns an apartment in the building). Another friend brought champagne. There was also beer and wine consumed, untill I stumbled home at 3 in the morning. Silly amounts of people out and about after the lockdown was eased up a bit last week.

Here's a pic I took at dusk (the bear is my friend's upcoming gift to his niece, but we thought it provided a nice statement):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPgsQtqJ01A/

Posted:   May 31, 2021 - 9:32 AM   

And on a Monday even?!? No, seriously, sounds like a blast, Onya.

Summer weather washed over Norway this weekend (temps close to 30C yesterday), and will continue for some time. Spent Saturday afternoon, evening and night on a roof terrace down by the pier (a friend owns an apartment in the building). Another friend brought champagne. There was also beer and wine consumed, untill I stumbled home at 3 in the morning. Silly amounts of people out and about after the lockdown was eased up a bit last week.

Here's a pic I took at dusk (the bear is my friend's upcoming gift to his niece, but we thought it provided a nice statement):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPgsQtqJ01A/

Sounds like fun!

Today is a holiday, Memorial Day, in the US, so Sunday night was like Saturday night.

Posted:   May 31, 2021 - 9:47 AM   

Ah, understood!

By the way, I'm looking at next Friday - i.e. Friday, June 11th - as the next "Cheers" meeting. At 21:00 Oslo time as usual. I'm going to make some adjustments to the alcohol consumption, so last time's "disappearance act" doesn't happen again. It's all water from 23:00 and out.

Posted:   May 31, 2021 - 10:09 AM   

Thor, what's your opinion on alcohol-free or low alcohol beer?

Posted:   May 31, 2021 - 10:25 AM   

Hate them.

Posted:   May 31, 2021 - 10:37 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

What is classed as low alcohol beer?

Posted:   May 31, 2021 - 10:53 AM   

Anything under 4.7%.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2021 - 2:58 AM   

Apparently in the UK, low alcohol beer is classed as not more than 1.2% ABV. It does seem to vary for different countries though.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2021 - 6:36 AM   

Thor, is the 4.7% content your own definition of 'low alcohol'?

Posted:   Jun 1, 2021 - 9:33 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

It must be.
There's no way 4.7 would be classed as low alcohol for beer in any countries where all brain cells haven't been destroyed by said alcohol wink

Posted:   Jun 1, 2021 - 9:49 AM   

Apart from Russia maybe as they class beer as a soft drink!

Posted:   Jun 1, 2021 - 10:20 AM   

It's the Norwegian delineation system. You can buy alcoholic beverages up to 4.7% in regular grocery stores. Anything above, you'll have to buy at the 'wine monopoly'. Different countries probably have different rules.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2021 - 2:31 PM   

Ah, so it's more a definition of lower alcohol rather than a low alcohol definition other countries would recognise. I see the blood alcohol limits for driving in Norway is 2 to 4 times lower than in the UK.

I'd say that the no/low alcohol beers here are for those who want a beer but minimise blood alcohol levels so they can still drive. The 4.7 value in Norway, is that anything other than a tax thing?

Posted:   Jun 1, 2021 - 11:24 PM   
 By:   Michael Scorefan   (Member)

Anything under 4.7%.

Wow. A shame, as there are some great beers that are 4.7% or less. Where I grew up, if you wanted beer on tap or be able to buy it at the grocery store, it couldn't be more than 3.2% (later changed to 4% after I moved away). The local breweries came up with some great beer that were within those restrictions. Plus, do you like Guinness? That is under 4.7%.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2021 - 1:10 AM   

Yeah, I think it's mostly tax-related, although I'm not sure why it's set at 4.7, exactly.

Sure, Michael, there are some decent "grocery store" beers at 4.7. Especially in this day and age where there are so many different types. But I think alcohol adds a lot of flavour, so they can never compete with the proper ones at the wine monopoly.

There is a lower class called 'light beer' in Norway that is less than 2.5%. That's undrinkable, IMO. I'd rather drink alcohol-free beer, and that's not something I'd like to do in the first place.

Posted:   Jun 7, 2021 - 8:05 AM   

Mr. Phelps has received his invitation for this Friday.