Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 11:15 AM   
 By:   Richard-W   (Member)

The entire album is devastating. Each ballad an emotional epic etched in blood. The album is of course in the Capitol Records Concept Albums box. There's also this CD from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OR06KY/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 11:28 AM   

Stefan Huber:
Just a short reply for now: KEEP AWAY from the official Capitol albums (and that includes the 'Concepts' box set) currently available in the US. ALL of these are Norberged. And the singles box set is only the top of the iceberg of how awful they sound. The white singles set was one of Bob Norberg's better masterings - he ruined all of the Sinatra Capitol albums...

I know you wouldn't say that if you weren't committed to Sinatra's music, Stefan. Personally I have all the box-sets and individual releases and only listen to the Walsh masterings where Capitol albums are concerned. Album by album the Norberg masterings are in the U.K., too. The only way to bypass them is to spend a thousand dollars on the out-of-print U.K. box-set, which isn't an option. How is edwzoomom to hear Sinatra's best recordings if she stays away from official releases? What do you suggest as an alternative?

I stand by the recommendation for the Capitol Records Concept Albums box-set as introduction to Sinatra's masterpieces. It's marginally better than the more elaborately packaged Concepts (which sounds truly awful) and it may start the OP on the trail to hunt down the individual Walsh masterings.

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 11:33 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

It's exactly the kind of album ("Where Are You") one must never listen to alone--although there can sometimes be something indefinably comforting in doing so.

Funny thing about that song.
In comparing the 2 versions, the 1951 is a more "economical" recording, while the 1957 is more "leisurely". But the 1951 could almost be said to cross the line from drama to melodrama, while the 1957 does not.
Actually, I suppose similar things could be said whenever comparing different versions by FS.

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 1:39 PM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

Let us know your thoughts on the Capitol Records Concept Albums after you've absorbed it all, edwzoomom.

This is next om my purchase list and I will certainly let you know. Thank you.

That's an excellent suggestion from Richard. I picked this up a few years ago for under $20 and it is a wonderful box. It won't disappoint. smile

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 4:54 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

...The only way to bypass them (the Norberg remasters) is to spend a thousand dollars on the out-of-print U.K. box-set, which isn't an option. How is edwzoomom to hear Sinatra's best recordings if she stays away from official releases? What do you suggest as an alternative?
...and it may start the OP on the trail to hunt down the individual Walsh masterings.

In the US, the Walsh masterings can all be had individually for short dough. There may be one or two rare titles, like the instrumental album, but certainly the core catalog is available.

IMHO, the core Capitol albums include the following:

Wristslasher: Wee Small Hours; Where are You; Only the Lonely; No One Cares.
Swingin': Swing Easy/Songs for Young Lovers; Songs for Swingin' Lovers; A Swingin' Affair; Come Dance with Me.
Other: Come Fly with Me; Close to You.

That's ten CDs. I left out the Capitol Christmas album, the compilations, the three musicals, Tone Poems of Color (instrumental) and the four contractual obligation albums.

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 5:39 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

Ok, I have taken ALL of this in and my head is spinning. I picked up a gently used Capitol Records Concept Albums box set on Amazon. I cannot wait to get it. I also picked up The Complete Recordings Nineteen Thirty-Nine with Sinatra and Dorsey for a song - ha ha. Pardon the stupid pun.

I hope this thread grows because I am loving the suggestions and opinions.

When I was a kid and my mom played Sinatra in the house, I would roll my eyes and leave the room. If she could only see me now. Who knew? smile

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 5:57 PM   
 By:   Sir David of Barkeley   (Member)

Quality, schmaulity. I say when it's Sinatra, I want QUANTITY.

He did so, so, many radio shows, just on Your Hit Parade alone, that it's worth living through lower quality and inexplicable noise reduction (sometimes) to get FS
---talking to people,
---complaining about the screaming girls,
---getting ribbed by Hope and Crosby, and
---(on YHP) forcing himself to do The Woody Woodpecker song (which is not on the radio set, I found. Nice though, that they put in the Gary Crosby show appearance.).

Ed: if you don't have problems with modest sound quality, I'd say the Proper Box set, which takes a tour of his early recorded and radio years, is a good deal at a low price. I have it.

http://www.propermusic.com/product-details/Frank-Sinatra-All-or-Nothing-at-All-25-Early-Hits-1939-47-10476

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 6:00 PM   
 By:   Sir David of Barkeley   (Member)

My twin bro' started a thread with more Sinatra talk and recommendations.: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=86432&forumID=7&archive=0

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 6:50 PM   

Ok, I have taken ALL of this in and my head is spinning. I picked up a gently used Capitol Records Concept Albums box set on Amazon. I cannot wait to get it. I also picked up The Complete Recordings Nineteen Thirty-Nine with Sinatra and Dorsey for a song - ha ha. Pardon the stupid pun.

Great!
You bought three essentials there.

When I was a kid and my mom played Sinatra in the house, I would roll my eyes and leave the room. If she could only see me now. Who knew? smile

I had the same experience with my dad. My mother liked Sinatra, too. She saw him at Radio City Music Hall in 1943 with her sisters; I suspect she was more involved than she ever admitted. My parents weren't the type to buy records but when "That's Life" and "Strangers In the Night" came on the radio the sound got turned UP. One album they did buy was "September of My Years." My father would get emotional over it. Forty years would go by before I understood why. I find that Sinatra's music becomes more meaningful after one has matured. I could never have devoted the time listening to him when I was young as I do now.

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 6:51 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

My twin bro' started a thread with more Sinatra talk and recommendations.: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=86432&forumID=7&archive=0

That's right, and I remember Eee-Dee made some contributions to it.
But, as so many of my threads do, it sorta fizzled out.

Posted:   Apr 28, 2016 - 10:00 PM   

Great!
You bought three essentials there.

I had the same experience with my dad. My mother liked Sinatra, too. She saw him at Radio City Music Hall in 1943 with her sisters; I suspect she was more involved than she ever admitted. My parents weren't the type to buy records but when "That's Life" and "Strangers In the Night" came on the radio the sound got turned UP. One album they did buy was "September of My Years." My father would get emotional over it. Forty years would go by before I understood why. I find that Sinatra's music becomes more meaningful after one has matured. I could never have devoted the time listening to him when I was young as I do now.

I so agree with your comment that Sinatra's music becomes more meaningful as we get older. I recall that Sinatra appeared in the city where I worked in the early 80's. Some of my co-workers got tickets to the sold-out show and had asked me to go along. If I can remember, I probably laughed and said no thanks. I am still i awe of how he has captured my older soul.

I have always been a Nat King Cole fan, having learned Ramblin' Rose by heart as a child and telling my teachers that it and Teddy Bears' Picnic were my favorite songs. I never thought Sinatra would be on that list. I have matured. smile

Posted:   Apr 30, 2016 - 12:19 AM   

edwzoomom,

In addition to A VOICE ON AIR and its brother disc LOST & FOUND: RADIO YEARS, check out FRANK SINATRA AND FRIENDS: 60 GREATEST OLD TIME RADIO SHOWS a hefty box-set with a detailed and profusely illustrated booklet. Imagine 30 hours of Sinatra on the radio in the 1940s on 30 discs. Most of the programs are complete insofar as Sinatra's appearance, whereas the other collections excerpt just some of the songs. But the large majority of programs and performances do not appear on any other set. Sound quality varies and is never as perfect as on A VOICE ON AIR and its brother disc LOST & FOUND: RADIO YEARS, but it's all good. It's out of print now and prices are all over the map, but it can still be found cheap if you keep looking:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157019307X/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

amazon mixed up the CD with the audio cassette listing so be careful what you click on if you buy it there. It will take you back to the 1940s even if, like me, you were born much later. I used to spin these 30 discs frequently until A VOICE ON AIR and its brother disc LOST & FOUND: RADIO YEARS came out.

Posted:   Apr 30, 2016 - 12:48 PM   

I am doing spring cleaning today and listening to A Voice In Time box set. It's making the job so much easier.

Posted:   May 2, 2016 - 5:10 PM   

Let us know your thoughts on the Capitol Records Concept Albums after you've absorbed it all, edwzoomom.

This is next om my purchase list and I will certainly let you know. Thank you.

That's an excellent suggestion from Richard. I picked this up a few years ago for under $20 and it is a wonderful box. It won't disappoint. smile

Mine arrived today and I am LOVING it.

Posted:   May 3, 2016 - 10:24 AM   

Again, I reiterate, the Capitol Records Concept Albums box-set will meet the OP's needs just fine and compliment the Complete Capitol Records Singles Collection which she already has. Sound quality is professional and highly enjoyable in both sets.

It is true that the Larry Walsh masterings are preferred over the Norberg, but it's also true that many critics overstate the criticism, and that Norberg's masterings not only dominate the market but are generally accepted by consumers without complaint. And there is the additional fact that Walsh masterings have been out-of-print for fifteen years, are sold out and very expensive when found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Capitol-Years-21-CD-by-Frank-Sinatra-CD-Oct-1998-21-Discs-Emi-NEW-/181866696486?hash=item2a58198f26:m:mEtiUNbcrLretmdorAXbsuQ

it's best to go ahead with the Capitol Records Concept Albums box-set that I linked above. When combined with The Complete Capitol Records Singles Collection it will add up to everything contained in the Larry Walsh-mastered The Capitol Years 21-CD box. It can be had for $50 or less, which is still a bargain when you consider that it includes 14 CD's in facsimiles of the original cover art and tracklistings. However, Walsh masterings still appear on individual album CD releases here and there which I will collate and post in due course in case the OP wants to hunt them all down.

I have to say Richard that this advice was golden. I LOVE this box set. I feel like I have all of the albums I missed or my parents had when I was a kid. Thanks again!

Posted:   May 4, 2016 - 12:25 AM   

I'm glad you like it. I knew you would.

More suggestions in a few days.

Posted:   May 6, 2016 - 6:24 PM   

By the way, I am a huge fan of the Harry James, Jimmy Dorsey era. I have several Glenn Miller recordings as well.

Eee-Dee, this is the one I was referring to earlier:

Octoberman,

I bought this and LOVE it. Nostalgia trip the entire listen through. Thank you for steering me toward it. smile

Posted:   May 18, 2016 - 8:14 PM   

edwzoomom,

In addition to A VOICE ON AIR and its brother disc LOST & FOUND: RADIO YEARS, check out FRANK SINATRA AND FRIENDS: 60 GREATEST OLD TIME RADIO SHOWS a hefty box-set with a detailed and profusely illustrated booklet. Imagine 30 hours of Sinatra on the radio in the 1940s on 30 discs. Most of the programs are complete insofar as Sinatra's appearance, whereas the other collections excerpt just some of the songs. But the large majority of programs and performances do not appear on any other set. Sound quality varies and is never as perfect as on A VOICE ON AIR and its brother disc LOST & FOUND: RADIO YEARS, but it's all good. It's out of print now and prices are all over the map, but it can still be found cheap if you keep looking:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157019307X/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

amazon mixed up the CD with the audio cassette listing so be careful what you click on if you buy it there. It will take you back to the 1940s even if, like me, you were born much later. I used to spin these 30 discs frequently until A VOICE ON AIR and its brother disc LOST & FOUND: RADIO YEARS came out.

I was surprised by my kids with a 12 disc box set entitled "Frank Sinatra, The Complete Collection 1943-1952 tonight. It is an import put out by Disky. The disc selections and track orders online are different than the set I received. Everything looks legit but I am concerned that they may have been "taken". Any thoughts Richard?

Posted:   Oct 23, 2016 - 8:22 PM   

I need opinions on the Frank Sinatra - The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings Box Set. My family wants to get it for me for Christmas but wants to know the exact version to buy. I know the original release was offered in a leather bound box with the discs in plastic cases along with the book. The second release was in book form with the discs in paper sleeves along with the book. Of course there is a price difference but is this all there is when comparing the two?

If you have either or both (wow if you do), please share your opinions/feedback with me.

Thanks.

Posted:   Oct 24, 2016 - 3:24 AM   
 By:   Stefan Huber   (Member)

I need opinions on the Frank Sinatra - The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings Box Set. My family wants to get it for me for Christmas but wants to know the exact version to buy. I know the original release was offered in a leather bound box with the discs in plastic cases along with the book. The second release was in book form with the discs in paper sleeves along with the book. Of course there is a price difference but is this all there is when comparing the two?

If you have either or both (wow if you do), please share your opinions/feedback with me.

Thanks.

The disks are exactly the same. Only difference is the packaging. If the bookshelf edition is substantially cheaper, get this one. But by all means: GET THIS SET - in any configuration smile