Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 26, 2010 - 12:59 AM   
 By:   Sehnsuchtshafen   (Member)

Germany did not leave the Euro last weekend.

So ... the bet is lost.

There was no bet in the first place. There was a rumour which is, obviously, spreading now within anglo-american newspapers or even lurking through a German blog here and there. So, nothing got lost from my point of view. The weekends have past. So what? I wouldn't wait for another one. A monetary reform may even happen overnight if the Euro can't be held in its position any longer. At the moment, the Swiss National Bank still buys that junk like hell. I wonder what they are going to do with this toilet paper when the time has come. Flush?

The Telegraph, another reliable paper speaks up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/simonheffer/7765275/The-collapse-of-the-euro-would-open-the-door-to-democracy.html

[...]

How the euro, and the countries that comprise it, have got away with this for so long is a mystery to most rational people. We may not yet have had the emperor’s clothes moment, but it cannot be far off. When it happens (and I do think Jeff Randall is right about this) we shall probably be too busy rescuing our own liabilities, which will be considerable, to ponder on how monumentally bad the leadership in all political parties has been here over the years in willing us to be an even more determined participant in this suicidal game. As the Greeks have shown, when you lose control of your economic policy, and voting in a different party to govern you makes no odds, the only course open to you is to riot. I remember saying such a thing to Euromaniac cabinet ministers in both the Major and Blair governments in the 1990s, only to be told to go away and put my head under a tap.

[...]

- by Simon Heffer

Your psychological assessment about conspiracies, Bill, is insightful - about you - as always but it's still quite wrong. Caught within the usual intellectual school traps of the modern western thinking. Conspiracy or, in a lesser but still vile way, intrigues are common practice in economy or politics. To keep it based on economy, we now know that the gold market has been and still is manipulated in order to keep its price as low as possible to avoid Big Money from getting into gold. GS is among the manipulators, so is COMEX. The question is: Who's behind them and why? I say, Bill, you'd oversimplify any problem about conspiracies if you reduce them to "human selfishness". It's the power that drives "them". BTW, no, I haven't read any Dan Brown so far. But he sure knows some interesting stuff. Kabbala for instance.

Post N° 100.

Posted:   May 26, 2010 - 3:56 AM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

The Telegraph, another reliable paper speaks up:

Another paragon of objective comment from the rabidly anti-Europe, anti-Euro Telegraph, "reliably" standing up as always for the little-Englander.

Posted:   May 26, 2010 - 6:35 AM   
 By:   Grimsdyke   (Member)

Earlier this morning I saw an interview on German TV where the guy from the Deutsche Börse said that if the EURO stays above 1.20 $ for 4 to 6 weeks the crisis can be over because the speculators are then looking for the next victim.
And he said it may be Great Britain because the pound is already weak and the EURO nations may not be that eager to help GB.

Posted:   May 31, 2010 - 8:08 AM   
 By:   scorechaser   (Member)

Is Chris right in the end? German president Horst Köhler resigned today:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/05/31/germany.president.resigns/index.html
wink

Posted:   May 31, 2010 - 9:06 AM   

Is Chris right in the end? German president Horst Köhler resigned today:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/05/31/germany.president.resigns/index.html
wink

I'm afraid, I am. The first big bang came last week when Roland Koch resigned. Rumours say he's preparing to succeed as the next chancellor. Germany's already in the middle of a political crisis. Their government won't last for long either. Astonishingly, the people remain quiet. How long?

Even the Swiss mass newspapers are printing articls about G. leaving the Euro. The Austrian TV broadcasted a small and fiendish report about it last week.

This week we will see how Spain tanks. Then Italy, and Sarkoland. Pray to god that Germany leaves the Euromadness now!

Posted:   May 31, 2010 - 9:49 AM   
 By:   snip1   (Member)

This week we will see how Spain tanks. Then Italy, and Sarkoland. Pray to god that Germany leaves the Euromadness now!

But Germany already left Euromadness last weekend. Or was it a weekend before? All reliable sources confirmed it.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 8:09 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

The whole point about economic predictions is that we still can't do it. There are too many variables. There's no computer program you can just set and run, to give you the outcomes. And if there WERE, people might suppress it to allow free choice in markets, otherwise the markets would sludge up and cease to be markets. That's why free economists and financial advisors have jobs: it's an art and a detective investigation. There WERE people who predicted the Crunch, but they were sidelined.

No-one can say how or why the markets will change or develop. The Euro could collapse eventually, but too much is dependent on it for that to just happen overnight.

It's still the old adage ... the fault is in ourselves. There were very obvious flaws in the whole set of assumptions about short/long term speculation and how markets behave, but looking for scapegoats isn't much help. The demons are in the ether. They thrive on what is 'assumed'.

Old St. Paul put it very well, y'know: 'We do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers, and spiritual wickedness in the high places'. But the 'high places' are inside OURSELVES and the zeitgeist. There's rarely a 'flesh and blood' Bond villain or somebody you can personify like a nasty in an X-Men comic book.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 10:50 AM   
 By:   DJS   (Member)

The whole point about economic predictions is that we still can't do it.

Gerald Celente disagrees (that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard btw, of course you can predict the economy...as long as the head isn't in the arse).

Look for yourself..his track record excels...it's just about common sense...and history repeating itself.

http://www.trendsresearch.com/forecast.html

If Nostradamus were alive today, he'd have a hard time keeping up with Gerald Celente. — New York Post

When CNN wants to know about the Top Trends, we ask Gerald Celente. — CNN Headline News

A network of 25 experts whose range of specialties would rival many university faculties. —The Economist

Gerald Celente has a knack for getting the zeitgeist right.— USA Today

There’s not a better trend forecaster than Gerald Celente. The man knows what he’s talking about. — CNBC

Those who take their predictions seriously ... consider the Trends Research Institute. — The Wall Street Journal

"You’re always terrific." — Oprah Winfrey

"A guy that obviously knows his trends." — Bill O’Reilly

"Our favorite Trend Forecaster, Gerald Celente."— Miles O’Brien

Gerald Celente is always ahead of the curve on trends and uncannily on the mark ... he's one of the most accurate forecasters around. — The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Mr. Celente tracks the world’s social, economic and business trends for corporate clients. — The New York Times

Mr. Celente is a very intelligent guy. We are able to learn about trends from an authority. — 48 Hours, CBS News

Gerald Celente has a solid track record. He has predicted everything from the 1987 stock market crash and the demise of the Soviet Union to green marketing and corporate downsizing. — The Detroit News

Gerald Celente forecast the 1987 stock market crash, ‘green marketing,’ and the boom in gourmet coffees. — Chicago Tribune

The Trends Research Institute is the Standard and Poors of Popular Culture. — The Los Angeles Times

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 2:30 PM   

Gerald Celente disagrees (that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard btw, of course you can predict the economy...as long as the head isn't in the arse).

You can predict the economy? Why aren't you a millionaire? Don't you think that just by saying that, you're in danger of having your own head disappear somewhere similar? It's a comforting thought. Economies are over-determined, always. If it's so easy, why did so many get it wrong?

(1) Gerald doesn't seem big on conspiracy theories, and

(2) The big picture WAS predicted by many people but who listened? What would listening mean? Would it involve inventing plots everywhere, or changing our own behaviour, and that of the short-term speculators? Do you reach for the shotgun and organise a posse, or change your philosophy about regulation and borrowing?

If a whole philosophy about laisser-faire goes over the top, then you need to rein in the philosophy. If you look for some sort of international conspiracy of elitists to blame, you're just continuing in the old laisser-faire in a different guise.... "There are people out there trying to take away our freedoms ... there must be: how else can we explain it? Let's get them!" Same demon, different face. Greedy people are nothing new. What if it's the freedoms themselves that did the damage? You never hear conspiracy theorists complain about TOO MUCH freedom. They haven't changed the game-plan themselves yet.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 6:24 PM   

If it's so easy, why did so many get it wrong?

That has an easy answer. It was all done on purpose. The entire devaluation of currencies in the world today...was planned. That's not a conspiracy theory (study Rockefeller, JP Morgan, etc...and this was in the 20's!). It is the only logic than can explain what is happening. These guys aren't stupid, these banks, Wall Street. They know what they are doing and what it will do. You actually think this whole mess caught these guys off guard? Lol! If you think the banks didn't know the eventual outcome of the subprime loans, the borrowing, the bailouts, the debt-based system, etc then I'm afraid you have rose colored glasses working overtime.

Posted:   Jun 1, 2010 - 9:26 PM   

It was all done on purpose. The entire devaluation of currencies in the world today...was planned. That's not a conspiracy theory (study Rockefeller, JP Morgan, etc...and this was in the 20's!). It is the only logic than can explain what is happening. These guys aren't stupid, these banks, Wall Street. They know what they are doing and what it will do. You actually think this whole mess caught these guys off guard? Lol! If you think the banks didn't know the eventual outcome of the subprime loans, the borrowing, the bailouts, the debt-based system, etc then I'm afraid you have rose colored glasses working overtime.

The one thing I accept in your analysis is the suddenness of it all. One month there was no talk of a credit crunch. Then it descended. That still has me baffled.

But you have to factor in that when you let the dog off the leash, you CAN'T stop it, especially where ideologies are involved. And you have to also factor in that people watch their own backs. Total free markets are an illusion. They're just as ideologically driven as state-controlled Communist economies. And economics don't work well in ideological cages. But when you use a word like 'free' a lot, even though that IS an ideology, it LOOKS as though you're ridding yourself of ideologies.

And if you tell people a crisis is imminent, you panic the markets and it's self-fulfilling. But don't you paradoxically have a rose-tinted view of human nature? What if they DID know, just didn't care beyond their own pension schemes? Don't rock the boat. It's sad, but it's most people.

But why devalue the big currencies? Germany has at least taken some steps to limit foreign lending. I still don't see the motive.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2010 - 1:04 AM   

I still don't see the motive.

Power. You can also call it domination. Remember, "Money Never Sleeps". 24 hours a day, the money never sleeps.

For instance: Who is STANDARD & POOR'S actually?

They are owned by McGraw-Hill Corporation Inc. http://www.mcgraw-hill.com
BTW, S&P also rates the company that owns them. S&P is the most influential rating agency. They rate companies and countries, they practically decide over life and death.

The people with the motives you are looking for, Bill, stand behind S&P, they even stand behind McGraw-Hill. They certainly are even behind the behind. They don't need to be in public. However, it would be helpful, those powerful people who are in full charge, and, not to forget, almost nobody knows who they are, would come out from their superior heaven and tell their slaves what they've actually planned. I've recently got the impression; Wells' The Time Machine isn't about the future at all. But what do I know; I don't know his book, just Pal's movie.

It'd be also interesting to analyze the company’s name, S&P (STANDARD & POOR'S > ShTN ... R”S). That could get you started, Bill. Or, you take WALL STREET, founded by 24 brokers on May 17th, 1792, in House N° 68. The agreement that 24 brokers signed, is called the "Buttonwood Agreement". As I said, money never sleeps, 24 hours a day. Life is a circle, day after day, 24 hours. The past doesn't matter, neither the future.

Thanks to Wikipedia, we know such things. And also thanks to Wikipedia, we can easily find translations in other languages. You may also look up NEW YORK STOCK EXCHANGE (NYSE).

In the mean time, I'm not so sure that gold is really the best investment at this time, to protect your savings I mean, like some gold worshipers are preaching right now. Life can be tricky, it surely is now.

Post N° 111.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2010 - 4:11 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

If you keep borrowing more than you earn (a lot more than you earn), then sooner or later it's going to come round & bite you in the arse, I'm an idiot & I understand that, so why don't governments?

Yesterday I bought a one hundred trillon dollars note for £5, it's real, but from Zimbabwe. I thought I'd make my mother a trillonaire for her 80th birthday!

Posted:   Jun 2, 2010 - 10:25 AM   

If you keep borrowing more than you earn (a lot more than you earn), then sooner or later it's going to come round & bite you in the arse, I'm an idiot & I understand that, so why don't governments?

Yesterday I bought a one hundred trillon dollars note for £5, it's real, but from Zimbabwe. I thought I'd make my mother a trillonaire for her 80th birthday!

People...they (the banks, the government) DO understand. It was a system created TO fail so you would embrace a more global scale of greater control. Cinema has it right. When you create a dollar and every dollar has interest attached to it...you can NEVER...EVER get out of debt. It's the biggest SCAM in history...and it has made slaves out of everyone (Euro, Asian, American...the same). Sad that people do not know that not long ago there was no paper money (or banks!)...it was about something that actually had value; gold, silver, platinum, etc. Paper currency, Greenbacks, legal tender was created to enslave the people...and it has. Don't think so? Try to buy a house or a car...with cash, without borrowing from the banks and PAYING interest. If you do spend cash, expect the feds and the IRS to show up and ask where the cash came from. They want their cut, their interest, their tax.

Bank holidays are coming...if you have money in the bank I would encourage you to get a large sum out and store it somewhere...and yes, invest in gold. When Celente told people to invest in gold it was about $300 an ounce. Now it's at about $1300. The man knows what he is talking about.

The very concept of money is not needed except to keep the elite in power. Money keeps us technologically behind the times, stunts the growth of inventors, scientists, creators, etc. Think about it...the Federal Reserve has more power than the actual government here in the USA. I think Europe has an even tighter grip on it's citizens. At least (for now) we have the Constitution here in the US.

Want to know the eventual outcome of Europe and the USA? Watch Greece.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2010 - 10:43 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

I think Europe has an even tighter grip on it's citizens. At least (for now) we have the Constitution here in the US.

roll eyes What good does a piece of paper do ya when all it takes for your government to invade your privacy and declare martial law is a simple terrorist attack? Think about it.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2010 - 11:03 AM   

I think Europe has an even tighter grip on it's citizens. At least (for now) we have the Constitution here in the US.

roll eyes What good does a piece of paper do ya when all it takes for your government to invade your privacy and declare martial law is a simple terrorist attack? Think about it.

It's far more than a 'piece of paper'. Thousands have died to protect that 'paper' and the freedom it represents. Millions more will defend it....millions. The fact that it has given us more than a puny billy club to defend ourselves if it is threatened if comforting enough. There aren't enough military and police combined to disarm the American people if the government threatens it's citizens with any form of dictatorship. I feel for you though, living in a place where your government has complete control over you and your freedoms are not guaranteed by anyone but them and you usually have nothing but pitchforks and clubs to defend yourself. My sympathies.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Posted:   Jun 2, 2010 - 11:14 AM   

I feel for you though, living in a place where your government has complete control over you and your freedoms are not guaranteed by anyone but them and you usually have nothing but pitchforks and clubs to defend yourself. My sympathies.

... Where do you get this notion? Have you even been to Belgium? We have as much freedoms as you do and even more I should say as and we don't have economical embargo's imposed on us and get to travel where we want (plus we don't build a wall with guards to keep out our southern neighbors, Spain excluded as they aren't keen on Africans coming across).

Do you make this stuff up as you go along? You speak of "Europe", you do know that it consists of France, Germany, Spain and many more countries all with their own governments and different political colors? It seems to me you are generalizing the lot.

I genuinely feel for your misconception and hope you take the time to visit.

During my last stay in the US I got the notion that many Americans are finally taking an effort to look outside their borders and see what was going on in the rest of the world, that used to be very different.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2010 - 11:22 AM   

I feel for you though, living in a place where your government has complete control over you and your freedoms are not guaranteed by anyone but them and you usually have nothing but pitchforks and clubs to defend yourself. My sympathies.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" - Isoroku Yamamoto

I must admit, the last time a horde of marauding Mongols or a longboat full of Vikings or a Russian bomber squadron attacked where I live, I did feel quite overpowered with only my poor brolly to defend me. You never know when they're round the corner. I was just saying the other day. 'What good's my brolly against a whole squadron of Stukas?', I said.

Then again, we get totally free medical care and medicine over here.

Why is it that people only ever talk about that one thing in the Constitution? (This is getting very near the p@@@@@ical word).

I remember as a kid, I saw a cartoon once, I think it was from 'Soldier' Magazine or something. There was a Sergeant-Major (Top-Sergeant that'd be to you guys) and he was chewing out a private (G.I.) for being slovenly, and he said,

"Zip goes the H-Bomb, and you with a button undone .... WHERE SHOULD WE ALL BE?!!!?"

Posted:   Jun 2, 2010 - 11:27 AM   

Posted:   Jun 2, 2010 - 1:04 PM   

... Where do you get this notion? Have you even been to Belgium? We have as much freedoms as you do and even more I should say as and we don't have economical embargo's imposed on us and get to travel where we want (plus we don't build a wall with guards to keep out our southern neighbors, Spain excluded as they aren't keen on Africans coming across).

Really? So anyone from another country can waltz into your country with no ID, no papers, no Visa, legally and live there permanently and demand you either learn THEIR language or teach them yours? You are clearly ignorant of the immigration laws here if you are referring to the whole Mexico debacle. Anyone from anywhere in the world can immigrant here if they go through the LEGAL process...anyone. Can you say the same for most other countries? No. Also, you aren't flipping the bills for all the illegals moving here. We are. Our taxes get them welfare, health care, food stamps, schooling, etc...they pay no taxes because they are not in the tax system. What am I saying...you already understand all this because you are so smart, right?

...and if socialized medicine and socialism itself is so great...why is super socialist Greece bankrupt? Why do Canadians choose to come here for medical care (and pay) when theirs is free? That's right, because free health care is the longest wait with the crappiest service imaginable because any doctor in his right mind would not work for substandard government pay (100K per year rather than 400K+ in the private industry). Wait two months for free health care with cattle-herding service, or pay and get excellent and fast treatment. Hmm.

BTW, can you go out and buy an automatic weapon in Belgium without a permit or license? You can here. Just asking. This guy in Belgium seems to contradict what you are saying about having the same rights as we do. Looks like you are losing your gun rights there buddy. Too bad you don't have a constitution to guarantee those freedoms.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_53/ai_n27126468/