Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 1, 2021 - 3:08 PM   
 By:   BTTFFan   (Member)

This needed it's own thread. Thanks Varese!

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/graeme-revell-the-crow-original-score-deluxe-edition-2-cd

The Crow (1994) became famous before it was even released, due to the tragic death of star Brandon Lee in an on-set accident. Alex Proyas’ supernatural revenge thriller, based on a comic book, was met with critical and fan acclaim. It became a box-office hit and tribute to its fallen star, leading to a franchise of sequels and a television series.

The Crow features a masterful score by Graeme Revell (Dead Calm, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle). With a background in what is typically called “world music,” Revell radically reinvented the grammar of film scoring by incorporating the authentic sonorities of non-Western cultures far more extensively and adroitly than had ever been attempted.

“The uses of ‘world music’ in film history had most often been direct references to location, race or culture,” writes Revell in a new introduction to this Deluxe Edition. “The opportunity instead to use all these sound sources in a fantasy setting like The Crow could release them from these confines. I heard them as universals. The key was my love of this music—especially Middle-Eastern—and my respect for it both within and outside of its regional or ethnic context. In the same way Western music had penetrated other cultures, it was clear to me that the inverse was bound to happen.”

Under Revell’s expert hand, The Crow's score is a unique mélange of synthesized, industrial, vocal, non-Western and Western elements—with everything from tribal drumming to rock guitars, children’s choir, blues riffs and bird samples, to a 50-piece string orchestra. It is dramatically impeccable, sonically inspired and beautifully produced.

The Crow was released on CD by Varèse Sarabande at the time of the film. Now, this Deluxe Edition greatly expands the program, and includes Revell’s end title song, “It Can’t Rain All the Time,” performed by Jane Siberry. New liner notes are by Revell and Randall D. Larson.

Limited to 2000 copies

Tracklist
Disc 1
1. Birth Of The Legend (6:17)
2. Forever (1:29)
3. Absolution Accepted (2:26)
4. Despair (1:37)
5. Resurrection (2:09)
6. Never Ever Fear (3:43)
7. Inertia (1:48)
8. Pain And The Shadows (0:41)
9. The Crow Descends (2:31)
10. A Cold October Night (1:08)
11. Remembrance (2:54)
12. Rain Forever (2:32)
13. Shattered In The Head (0:44)
14. Her Eyes...So Innocent (2:45)
15. Tracking The Prey (3:35)
16. Elegy (0:32)
17. The Tides Of Sin (2:07)
18. Pain And Retribution (2:34)
19. Angels All Fire (1:16)
20. Believe In Angels (3:32)

Disc 2
1. Respect To The Living (3:25)
2. Truth To The Dead (0:55)
3. Killing Time (1:24)
4. A Vision From Hell (1:52)
5. Captive Child (2:32)
6. Devil's Night (2:30)
7. Innocent Lovers (2:13)
8. On Hallowed Ground (2:42)
9. Twisted Wreckage (3:13)
10. Inferno (5:03)
11. Eyes Like Candy (3:25)
12. Irony (1:14)
13. Legacy Of Brutality (1:49)
14. Watching You Forever... (2:27)
15. Angel From Hell (4:04)
16. Praying For Rain (0:47)
17. Return To Grave (3:45)
18. Last Rites (3:54)
19. Destroy Myself (1:45)
20. End Titles: It Can't Rain All The Time – Performed by Jane Siberry (4:04)

Posted:   Oct 1, 2021 - 8:20 PM   
 By:   King Solium   (Member)

Spun this to death back then. But haven't played it in many years. I'll have to spin it again and see if it still holds my interest and merits a double dip.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2021 - 10:38 AM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

Credit due to Varese, that's a lovely cover design. I thought their recent Matrix ost was the ugliest thing I've seen the in years, but this one is beautiful.

Anyway, used to love this score and film, so this was an instant order. Haven't heard it for a long time, looking forward to this.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2021 - 10:46 AM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

Mine just shipped. This was a favorite back in my high school days.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2021 - 12:04 PM   

Mine just shipped. This was a favorite back in my high school days.

It's, what, 27 years since this came out. I'm curious how this will sound in the cold light of 2021.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2021 - 12:15 PM   
 By:   jkannry   (Member)

This is so much of an improvement. Not done listening but there’s a love theme that he used extensively throughout the movie. They have re-inserted it into the album and use it extensively like it was in the movie as part of other tracks. The original album had it once and it looked like some brilliant executive thought the dark Gothic music was all people wanted to hear. Not true.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2021 - 1:29 PM   
 By:   darthbrett   (Member)

Going to have to get this release since this score is one of my favorites from the early-mid 1990s! Really looking forward to it!

Posted:   Oct 9, 2021 - 10:51 AM   
 By:   danbeck   (Member)

To those who can not wait for the CD to arrive (like me)... it is also already available in streaming services such as Apple Music and Spotify.

Posted:   Oct 9, 2021 - 10:55 AM   
 By:   Ray1992   (Member)

To those who can not wait for the CD to arrive (like me)... it is also already available in streaming services such as Apple Music and Spotify.

I'II took it!
The Inferno track is just fire! I love it!

Posted:   Oct 9, 2021 - 11:00 AM   

My copy arrived yesterday.

Curiously, while it's inevitably of its time, because of that it sounds like a breath of fresh air 27 years later. Choir, sax, moody synths like those of Angel Heart.

It's pretty wonderful and quite a surprise in this complete presentation.

Posted:   Oct 9, 2021 - 11:54 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

I got an email about this release with an announcement about a Varese "Shocktober" Sale and lottery. Not sure if that's been posted anywhere:
Shocktober Sale
https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/shoctober-2021

Lottery
https://www.toneden.io/craft-recordings/post/craft-recordings-var-se-sarabande-halloween-bundle-giveaway

Posted:   Oct 9, 2021 - 12:01 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Even for free I don't want the LP's. Might as well be on 8-track.

Posted:   Oct 9, 2021 - 12:15 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Even for free I don't want the LP's.

Apparently neither do they if they're giving them away, just to beef up their mailing list.

Posted:   Oct 9, 2021 - 12:20 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Deluxe coasters.

Posted:   Oct 10, 2021 - 4:29 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

Has anyone else noticed that this has two, different, catalogue numbers, on each spine.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2021 - 1:42 AM   

Don't know if I should be surprised that there doesn't seem to be much interest here for this, but as I dig into it further, this is s pretty amazing piece of work. The music was a huge part of this movie. Back in the day when film music was a big part of a film's identity and they didn't sound the same as they largely do now.

What's Graeme Revell doing these days?

Posted:   Oct 11, 2021 - 2:08 AM   
 By:   T.J. Turner   (Member)

Is this expansion really worth it? I know it has a pretty theme, that I only remember in a trailer for a completely different movie.
I once owned the CD many years ago ,and I vaguely remember some ambient middle eastern sounding stuff and harsh electronics. Nothing really compilation worthy nor for repeated listening. There is a sequel score that I think was a little better, but it also was boring.
Expansions though can sometimes add a whole new dimension to the listening experience. With enough noteworthy additional cues the whole nature of the album can change.
I'm interested but I just don't want to get this entirely on impulse.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2021 - 2:35 AM   
 By:   Randy Watson   (Member)

Is this expansion really worth it? I know it has a pretty theme, that I only remember in a trailer for a completely different movie.
I once owned the CD many years ago ,and I vaguely remember some ambient middle eastern sounding stuff and harsh electronics. Nothing really compilation worthy nor for repeated listening. There is a sequel score that I think was a little better, but it also was boring.
Expansions though can sometimes add a whole new dimension to the listening experience. With enough noteworthy additional cues the whole nature of the album can change.
I'm interested but I just don't want to get this entirely on impulse.

If you never cared much about this score than I don't expect the expansion will change your mind. I personally think the score plays better in expanded form, some ideas are more fleshed out in this version, but the additional tracks are more of the same.

The Deluxe Edition is on Spotify and other digital platforms, so you can give it a listen before you decide to buy it.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2021 - 2:51 AM   

Personally I think it's a radically different listening experience compared to the original album, which I never really cared for (I was frustrated by the emphasis on the action/ electronic percussion stuff) and seldom listened to. This expansion is very different to me, with atmospheric choral passages, some lovely orchestral work and of course that melancholy love theme now runs throughout the score like it's beating heart.

I honestly didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I have done but just goes to show how expansions can work to enrich old scores one might have discarded before. I just want to watch the film again now (not seen it in years).

Posted:   Oct 11, 2021 - 4:13 AM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

Yep, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the expansion as well.
Used to love the old album but actually preferred his 'City of Angels' sequel score (.. what a stinkin' film though!!)
I thought the new release would just be more of the same..and it is but it really does enrich the listening experience if you're a fan and the whole thing just seems even better now.