Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 13, 2023 - 6:07 PM   
 By:   TheSnowLeopard   (Member)

Received my replacement disc today (via SAE), in a small envelope, inside a larger box.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2023 - 7:59 AM   
 By:   davefg   (Member)

Have these issues been fixed? I take it that the "problems" with Mouse Hunt will not be fixed.

Posted:   Sep 18, 2023 - 5:18 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Landed, and it's the 'correct version' with a 3 on the disc itself. Assuming if you order now, the bad batch is gone.

I've always loved this score, it was always nice to get an adult drama from Maestro G, to balance the action works. Those nights when you want to hear some Goldsmith, but not the full might of the National Philharmonic or 5/8, 11/4 meters kicking your arse. Just a bit of Scotch, unwind to moody horns and bass clarinet.

Interesting history in the essay by the impeccable Tim Grieving, classy production (lazy cover is forgiven, since it's not a Big Production that likely had numerous artisty drawn up for it).
Recommended cos.....Jerry.

Posted:   Sep 19, 2023 - 3:12 AM   
 By:   Laurent-Watteau   (Member)

[...] but not the full might of the National Philharmonic or 5/8, 11/4 meters kicking your arse. Just a bit of Scotch, unwind to moody horns and bass clarinet.

No 5/8, no 11/4 = No Sale.

Posted:   Nov 13, 2023 - 7:30 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Better late than never! Our City Hall Soundtrack Spotlight is finally live:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/13437089-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-city-hall-1996

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 19, 2023 - 7:25 PM   
 By:   Ag^Janus   (Member)

What happened to this botched release from Varese Sarabande?

Posted:   Dec 19, 2023 - 9:49 PM   

It was un-botched, replacement discs automatically sent out to everyone who ordered it whether they had problems playing the previous pressing or not. But then Varese moved warehouses and this became unavailable on their website along with many other titles including LA Confidential DE.

Screen Archives has it up for preorder at $25 and says it should be in stock late this month. I think that’s all we know.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 19, 2023 - 11:45 PM   
 By:   AJL   (Member)

I had City Hall ordered from Screen Archives along with two other titles. They have now refunded the City Hall part of the order because it is no longer available, as they put it.

I got in touch with Varese Sarabande but they could not tell me when or if the title will be back ln stock.

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 2:18 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

I got in touch with Varese Sarabande but they could not tell me when or if the title will be back ln stock.

Yes, useless as always.

And I think it was out of stock and possibly marked as sold out even before they moved their warehouse.

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 7:23 AM   

That would be a shockingly fast sell out, faster than their most recent fast sell out, Death Becomes Her: The Deluxe Edition.

That said, the Screen Archives pre-order page that was up very recently has gone away.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 7:38 AM   
 By:   JB Fan   (Member)

I just hope that as they did re-pressing, they didn't count it as final CDs in their limited batch.

Or it's really weird. Support is absolutely useless, using template answers, which are completely uninformative, no proper information about completely sold out or just out of stock titles....

Let's say it - that decision to sold Varese to Concord was huge mistake.

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 7:52 AM   

I would phrase it as, "The decision to sell Varese to Concord was very unfortunate for film music fans."

I'm sure the private owner of Varese Chris Kuchler made a pretty penny off the sale 10 years ago, and I doubt he'd consider it a mistake, to "get out of the game" as Lukas Kendall did (seeing the writing on the wall with declining album sales), except actually turning a personal profit in the bargain by selling his company to a corporation.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 9:23 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

I told you so ;-)

https://varesesarabande.com/collections/jerry-goldsmith/products/city-hall-deluxe-edition-cd

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 9:46 AM   

Well… CRAP. I hadn’t even picked up my physical copy yet. I have a hard time believing 2000 copies of this score sold out that fast, even though I’m a fan of it. Just bizarre. But I guess that’s Goldsmith? Even the relatively obscure things sell better than expected.

Now I guess I have to hunt around on the secondary market.

EDIT: it’s gone everywhere, Amazon and Discogs included. If anyone here has a spare copy they’d like to sell or trade, please let me know: moradi (dot) yavar (at) gmail (dot) com.

That’ll teach me to hold off ordering when there’s a manufacturing issue, lol… next time I’ll just take the defective disc and wait for the replacement!

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 10:31 AM   
 By:   lonzoe1   (Member)

I doubt this was a fast sell out. They probably pressed 500 copies, which incudes the defective discs. Then once those sold (along with the replacement discs) they decided not to press anymore copies. That probably made it easy for them to maintain their inventory while transferring to another warehouse.

And even though Varese's site claims City Hall is sold out they still leave the customer with the option to be notified when available. So is it sold out or out of stock?

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 12:42 PM   
 By:   Commodore   (Member)

Yeah, I just got an email answer from Varese that CITY HALL is sold out. Which is kind of bizarre as it was released for purchase, then the big backlash about defective copies. They send out replacements, put up a temporarily out-of-stock notice, then suspend sales on their website as they move to a new physical location. After their website becomes functional again, they then list CITY HALL as being sold out. Makes no sense. I think that the repressing of defective discs must have screwed things up in terms of allotted copies. Seriously. (Well, hopefully someone else gets to release this Jerry Goldsmith score for the people that got caught out in the cold.) frown

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 1:14 PM   

Varese controls the title in perpetuity, alas. No one else can release it.

I’m sure the initial batch was at least 1000 copies not 500… but I guess it’s possible maybe somehow the replacement copies that got automatically sent to everyone somehow counted as the other 1000 copies of the 2000 limited number. That would be really bizarre, though.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 4:41 PM   
 By:   kam   (Member)

I'm still waiting on Varese to send out my order that I placed on October 9th. Just checked the status and it's still there. (bundled with Mouse Hunt)

Posted:   Dec 20, 2023 - 9:42 PM   
 By:   JB Fan   (Member)

Maybe we can ask Neil or Mike, who works with Varese' (probably) more compet staff to clarify this situation, because if it's true, it's absolutely insane - people want this title, they waited while Varese solved case of defective disc, and now they find that the only way to get City Hall was to buy bad CD and get replacement, but it was impossible to do because they closed taking orders after this info about defects appear....

Posted:   Dec 21, 2023 - 5:38 AM   
 By:   chriscoyle   (Member)

I’m don’t collect a lot of Godlsmith’s scores but this is a favorite of mine. I had the original and liked it but the expansion is so much better. I play it often. I can see why it sold out quickly with only 2000 copies.