Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 10, 2020 - 6:53 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

David in Berkeley, I can confirm that Hans J. Salter was Raksin's guest on two occasions.

James, could you email me? Please use my screen name here, at Yahoo. Thanks.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2020 - 5:08 PM   

I know he interviewed a number of notable film composers about film music and also played excerpts from their film scores. I just listened to an episode on Hugo Friedhofer which I found here: https://hugofriedhofer.dudaone.com/interview-with-hugo-friedhofer - fascinating!

Listening to this program (thanks for posting the link!), I hear something in Friedhofer's voice. It's a nasal tone that makes me think he was using oxygen. I wouldn't be surprised, since he was a long-time smoker.

Posted:   Oct 12, 2020 - 6:27 AM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

David in Berkeley, just re-reading your list of guests on Raksin's programme, notice that another one you're missing is Aaron Copland, no less, who did a single episode.

Posted:   Oct 15, 2020 - 5:48 PM   

David in Berkeley, just re-reading your list of guests on Raksin's programme, notice that another one you're missing is Aaron Copland, no less, who did a single episode.

I can only possibly barely remember Raksin introducing a re-recording of one of THE QUIET CITY. I don't remember any of the interview, which is too bad.

Posted:   Oct 20, 2020 - 4:56 PM   

I can only possibly barely remember Raksin introducing a re-recording of one of THE QUIET CITY. I don't remember any of the interview, which is too bad.

Or maybe there was no interview. Very possible.

Posted:   Oct 21, 2020 - 1:19 AM   

Oh, there definitely was one. Re-reading Raksin's autobiography on Kindle, he mentions it and that's what reminded me. I have it on tape, somewhere - wish I could find it! The phrase I remember most is the pair of them having a chuckle about, "If it's in the music, it's in the man..."

James.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2020 - 5:45 PM   

Oh, there definitely was one. Re-reading Raksin's autobiography on Kindle, he mentions it and that's what reminded me. I have it on tape, somewhere - wish I could find it! The phrase I remember most is the pair of them having a chuckle about, "If it's in the music, it's in the man..."

James.

Really, truly? I can often recall the person's voice, but I'm not recalling Copland's. Perhaps he didn't sound as interesting as Kaper and Rozsa and such.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2020 - 5:46 PM   

I'm surprised I don't recall a Grusin. He did know him, but maybe not at the time he recorded the series.

Posted:   Mar 13, 2021 - 5:35 PM   

I'm surprised I don't recall a Grusin.

Or Johnny Mandel.

Posted:   Mar 16, 2021 - 6:58 PM   

I'm surprised I don't recall a Grusin.

Or Johnny Mandel.

Or Victor Young.

Posted:   Jun 19, 2021 - 5:14 AM   

Have to correct myself - Copland was on the show for TWO episodes. A collector friend managed to locate his cassette and kindly sent me a CDR of both programmes. Actually, Raksin does most of the talking, and on interview number two there's very little input from Copland. The suites from The Red Pony and "Music For a Great City" are played in their entirety and thus make up most of the running time.

James.

Posted:   Jun 19, 2021 - 3:25 PM   

Hi, I'm back. I taped lot of them, but all this time later I can't lay my hands on them. Motivation for major spring cleaning!

That was LAST spring, Prez. Did you find them?

Posted:   Jun 19, 2021 - 3:27 PM   

Actually, Raksin does most of the talking, and on interview number two there's very little input from Copland.
James.

Maybe this is why I remember nothing of the interview.

Thanks for digging it all up, Jaz!