Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 5:24 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

"Those who have the expanded album: are there melodies on it not heard on the original album? I'm on the fence about it but I often get disappointed by expanded edition soundtrack because in my opinion most of the times all they offer are just longer editions without any missing or significant melodies"
--------------
I would say this is an upgrade you need to get, if you like the original score or JNH/90's music.
I never really warmed to the 30 minute 'highlights' album, save a few cues, finding it too low-key and minimal, in the main.
I'm hearing LOTS of cues that I like better than the ones previously available.
More gentle, tender thematic scoring tracks.
More exciting action/percussion tracks.
Even the unheard suspense tracks are really well done.
And it sounds really good. Top notch booklet/liner notes too.
This is what expanded editions are all about.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 5:54 AM   
 By:   keky   (Member)

"Those who have the expanded album: are there melodies on it not heard on the original album? I'm on the fence about it but I often get disappointed by expanded edition soundtrack because in my opinion most of the times all they offer are just longer editions without any missing or significant melodies"
--------------
I would say this is an upgrade you need to get, if you like the original score or JNH/90's music.
I never really warmed to the 30 minute 'highlights' album, save a few cues, finding it too low-key and minimal, in the main.
I'm hearing LOTS of cues that I like better than the ones previously available.
More gentle, tender thematic scoring tracks.
More exciting action/percussion tracks.
Even the unheard suspense tracks are really well done.
And it sounds really good. Top notch booklet/liner notes too.
This is what expanded editions are all about.

Thanks for the answer!

Posted:   Feb 19, 2020 - 9:07 AM   

You're welcome smile
Also..
The book-ending of this score, and it's orig/alt versions, with the propulsive/heroic trailer music, makes for a great start and finish to proceedings.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2020 - 9:31 AM   

This is such a different listening experience to the original 30 minute release.
John (spymaster) sums it up perfectly, saying it breathes so much better in its fuller form.
I never did like or take to the first issue, but this one offers so much more.
It ebbs and flows so much better and some of the previously unreleased music is superb.
It's fast becoming one of my favourite JNH scores too.