Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 12, 2020 - 1:43 PM   
 By:   Totoro   (Member)

• When I first heard of Villeneuve filming DUNE a couple of years ago, I had high hopes for the project. Now that I've seen the trailer, I still have high hopes, it looks very promising. I just hope and keep my fingers crossed that it will be profitable enough to warrant that the second film will be done accordingly. I mean, this is just DUNE, Part I, even though it is understandably not called that. But like THE LORD OF THE RINGS, it was decided that the material is too complex and unwieldy for a single movie, so it was always going to be two movies (at least two movies.. for the original novel DUNE, obviously there are prequel/sequel books as well, that may or may not be filmed one day, but we're just talking DUNE here.)

Not having read any of the books (yet), does it stand to reason that each book will require 2-parter movies?

It's a two part movie based on the first novel, DUNE, wich is very big indeed.
    Kind like LORD OF THE RINGS.

•  
     Posted:   Sep 12, 2020 - 6:31 PM   
     By:   Landstander   (Member)

If only Elliott Goldenthall had been given this assignment? Just saying....

Absolutely. Back when the Dune remake was just a dream project, Goldenthal was my dream composer for the score. I've consistently thought that Dune was tailor-made for Goldenthal. The vastness of his soundstage appropriately fits the vast physical and metaphysical sweep of Dune's story along with his ability to incorporate the avant-garde.

Posted:   Sep 12, 2020 - 7:14 PM   
     By:   Ed   (Member)

Not having read any of the books (yet), does it stand to reason that each book will require 2-parter movies?

Not DUNE MESSIAH. Maybe CHILDREN OF...

Posted:   Sep 13, 2020 - 5:24 PM   
     By:   Makooti   (Member)

If only Elliott Goldenthall had been given this assignment? Just saying....

Absolutely. Back when the Dune remake was just a dream project, Goldenthal was my dream composer for the score. I've consistently thought that Dune was tailor-made for Goldenthal. The vastness of his soundstage appropriately fits the vast physical and metaphysical sweep of Dune's story along with his ability to incorporate the avant-garde.

God I could use some more sci-fi Goldenthal in my life.

Posted:   Sep 13, 2020 - 5:51 PM   
     By:   other tallguy   (Member)

Indeed , why tell us the same old stories again and again?

I'm not saying it will be this time (but I'm hopeful) but I'm not sure this story was really told before. As opposed to Lord of the Rings, for example. I didn't like it, but I can't imagine anyone is in any hurry to remake it.

Of course the funny part is that this movie will be telling the part of the story that the Lynch movie actually did well.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2020 - 12:58 PM   
     By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/dune-delayed-2021/

Posted:   Oct 5, 2020 - 1:36 PM   
     By:   KeV McG   (Member)

I spoke to a guy at Odeon cinemas today and he said the thing that has kept them afloat during this pandemic, was their foresight to book a ton of older films that they could show (things like Jurassic Park, BTTF, Goonies, Mama Mia) alongside the odd new title like Tenet, Bill & Ted 3, Onward and that Russell Crowe road rage film (plus some lower budget horror and animated films).
    Something he said Cineworld didn't do, to their regret now.