Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 28, 2019 - 7:49 PM   
 By:   Bond1965   (Member)

I was on board with this series until season 4 which made almost all the characters unlikable.

The only really good thing that came out of this latest season was McCreary's theme for Fraser's Ridge:

James

Posted:   Jul 29, 2019 - 7:03 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

It's funny you should say that James, as the missus is already turning against Claire in this current series, due to her cold/dispassionate treatment towards poor old hubby Frank.
I have to agree with her at times, the way that she's come across is a bit of a cold-hearted b!tch towards Frank.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2019 - 7:35 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

Been trying to see this for ages, and only recently found out it's been on More 4. DAMN. So far only seen the very first episode put out on YT, and the first three episodes of the third series via catch-up on M4.

I'm quite tickled that the whole thing was inspired by the author seeing Patrick Troughton era Doctor Who and liking the companion (Jamie McCrimmon) so much. Jamie Fraser eh? Would love to see the episode/s that Fraser Hines was given as a homage to that inspiration. Nice touch.

And yeah I find the lead character to be a bitch too!

Posted:   Jul 30, 2019 - 3:25 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I didn't hate season 4, though I agree characters did things that could make them unlikable. But it's still a well acted and interesting story, gorgeous production, and incredible scoring (best on TV today, IMO). The new Fraser's Ridge theme is excellent as already stated, but I also want to give a shout out to the new Roger/Brianna love theme which is just gorgeous!

I really do miss Tobias Menzies though, who was so compelling and human as both Frank Randall and his villainous ancestor Black Jack Randall. Incredible actor.

Yavar

Posted:   Sep 16, 2019 - 9:09 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Trundling towards the end of series 3 now and I'm aghast (yes, aghast) at how much great music has been left off the 2nd half of the series 3 disc, in favour of drony/tribal percussion music.
I can only assume the quite brilliant cues that never found their way to disc were not written by McCreary himself, but perhaps one of his associate composers on the series?
The cue (on the ship bound for Jamaica) where Claire says a sad farewell to a young officer she had befriended was so lovely and tender and heartfelt, it's almost a crime that I cannot go and listen to it on the CD.
There have been other instances where some quite stunning music has been omitted, in favour of the aforementioned drony drumming.
What!
The!
Fuc&!

Posted:   Sep 16, 2019 - 9:53 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

There is tons of great music left off of every season's album release.

I remember feeling similarly about season 2 and all of the French baroque styled scoring which wasn't my thing, so much. I wanted more representation of the latter half of the season when the return to Scotland (and the romantic bagpipes/orchestra combination) happened. I think that with both season 2 and season 3, McCreary felt a desire to show his versatility and include more music that was unique or different as compared with the two volumes of music for season 1 (which was pretty much all set in Scotland). I think he wanted to make each season's score release more distinctive and varied, rather than trying to concentrate on trying to represent the narrative arc as fully as possible in orchestral form. That's my guess, anyway.

For me it's just as frustrated as it was with most of the LOST season score releases -- I wanted MUCH more of the thematic stuff represented, to see the journey of each theme over the course of the season, and Giacchino felt the need to include more variety and put a bunch of horror/suspense/action stuff in, which interested me far less on album (although it was all brilliant/effective in the show context).

Yavar