Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 21, 2021 - 12:16 PM   
 By:   Ray1992   (Member)

I would very much like this score to be reissued and completed! One of Kamen's best scores.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2021 - 12:30 PM   
 By:   Leo Nicols   (Member)

Just watched this fantastic film the other night...... must seek out this score.

And wasn't Martin Sheen's character a total "A-hole" !

Posted:   Jul 21, 2021 - 12:46 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Just watched this fantastic film the other night...... must seek out this score.

And wasn't Martin Sheen's character a total "A-hole" !

Indeed, he was. I always thought that was the weakest element of the film/story. Stephen King could write a pretty compelling story now and then, but his "villains" were habitually portrayed as total/absolute caricatures, with not an ounce (gram) of nuance. Amusing at first, but not for long. One of the many reasons I've stopped reading his books (other reason: many, many, many other interesting books to read).

Posted:   Jul 21, 2021 - 1:17 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

One of my favorites by Kamen, probably my favorite from Cronenberg.

The thing the film and its score get absolutely correct is the *coldness*. Both understand how bleak it gets in winter in the Northeast (though this was shot in Canada) and Kamen's aching sadness hits it perfectly. He did do this lush sense of loss later on in his career ("Logan & Rogue" in X-Men comes to mind) but never as completely.

Looking forward to the Shout Factory bluray

Posted:   Jul 21, 2021 - 1:46 PM   
 By:   Tom Maguire   (Member)

One of my favorites by Kamen, probably my favorite from Cronenberg.

The thing the film and its score get absolutely correct is the *coldness*. Both understand how bleak it gets in winter in the Northeast (though this was shot in Canada) and Kamen's aching sadness hits it perfectly. He did do this lush sense of loss later on in his career ("Logan & Rogue" in X-Men comes to mind) but never as completely.

Looking forward to the Shout Factory bluray

Yeah this is exactly it.
This movie gets the bleakness of Winter in New England better than any movie I can think of. It's just a perfect blend of tone, character and story which really is a combination of character study, thriller and ultimately tragedy. Shawshank is an amazing movie but I still think King's never been brought to screen better than The Dead Zone. And none of it works without Kamen. His score is the glue for the whole piece.